Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

On 6/22/2021 at 7:35 AM, mcshed said:

Surely the neutral is on the side of Denmark after what they've been through with Eriksen. Sorry Wales.

Personally, I don’t know why this has to be the case but it certainly was. Nearly every kick of the ball Wales had was booed and jeered. At least England will have home advantage. Again.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Personally, I don’t know why this has to be the case but it certainly was. Nearly every kick of the ball Wales had was booed and jeered. At least England will have home advantage. Again.

You don't see why the story of their star player collapsing in front of their eyes, them not knowing if he would survive has emotional appeal to the neutral?

More so than the heartwarming story of the Welsh team finding a new manager at the last minute as the previous one is charged with beating women?

Denmark is the fairy tale and them against the dark arts of Italy in the final is the perfect climax to that story unfortunately there is boringly effective England in the way.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Denmark is the fairy tale and them against the dark arts of Italy in the final is the perfect climax to that story unfortunately there is boringly effective England in the way.

I'd prefer that to boring and ineffective like another hone nation I'm too polite to mention, to be fair.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

You don't see why the story of their star player collapsing in front of their eyes, them not knowing if he would survive has emotional appeal to the neutral?

Of course when it happened it looked so grim, and yet it was heartwarming when it became clear that Eriksen had responded well to defibrillation. Fast forward a few weeks to Amsterdam and Wales, in front of pretty much zero of their own fans, were getting jeered simply because they weren’t the team that had had a player collapse with cardiac arrest. 

18 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'd prefer that to boring and ineffective like another hone nation I'm too polite to mention, to be fair.

Boring and effective is certainly an improvement in recent times for England, but as far as the neutral* is concerned it's Denmark all the way. 

*I don't include myself in that category I'd want England to lose regardless of how nice their football was or how remarkable a back story there was.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Of course when it happened it looked so grim, and yet it was heartwarming when it became clear that Eriksen had responded well to defibrillation. Fast forward a few weeks to Amsterdam and Wales, in front of pretty much zero of their own fans, were getting jeered simply because they weren’t the team that had had a player collapse with cardiac arrest. 

Tbf, there were thousands and thousands of Denmark fans there. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, henry bear said:

In Amsterdam where Christian Eriksen came through as a teenager that is also really close to Denmark? I'm stunned.

I’d start the same team on Wednesday I think, for me Sancho just gives us the spark that Saka doesn’t quite have yet, but I’d be happy with either. 
Wouldn’t mind Grealish starting ahead of Mount too, but that’s very unlikely.