Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

Not really been paying much attention to the Euros but just looked up the round of 16 format and can’t get my head round it at all?

Anyone know why some groups winners play 2nd place teams whilst others play 3rd place teams? Or why there’s at least one match where 2 2nd place teams play each other? 🤷‍♂️

Unless the matches are somehow related to group seeding then it doesn’t seem very fair. V puzzled…

29 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Not really been paying much attention to the Euros but just looked up the round of 16 format and can’t get my head round it at all?

Anyone know why some groups winners play 2nd place teams whilst others play 3rd place teams? Or why there’s at least one match where 2 2nd place teams play each other? 🤷‍♂️

Unless the matches are somehow related to group seeding then it doesn’t seem very fair. V puzzled…

Because UEFA.

31 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

There are 6 groups of 4, so 24 teams.

16 teams go through out of those.
6 first placed teams, 6 second placed teams, and the 4 best third placed teams.

The 4 best third placed teams all play first placed teams in the next round.

That leaves 2 first placed teams (who play 2 second placed teams); which in turn leaves 4 second placed teams (who play each other).

It’s a truly terrible format.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

There are 6 groups of 4, so 24 teams.

16 teams go through out of those.
6 first placed teams, 6 second placed teams, and the 4 best third placed teams.

The 4 best third placed teams all play first placed teams in the next round.

That leaves 2 first placed teams (who play 2 second placed teams); which in turn leaves 4 second placed teams (who play each other).

It’s a truly terrible format.

OK, I understand it now, thanks for taking the time to explain… and yeah it’s totally bonkers. 🙄

26 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Because UEFA.

Hah, figures!

Edited by jimmillen

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Great goal but Modric. What a strike 

I thought Modric was well known and the obvious player that would make Croatia tick, but apparently Steve Clark never thought of having someone man mark him. We have good players and his tactics are just hoof it up the park. Supposedly his strength is making us hard to beat, but not convinced that's true. We concede at set pieces and don't mark the oppositions best players.

So frustrating that we waited so long to qualify and had this eejit in charge. Now with 24 teams in the tournament 54% of Europe qualifies were in the past only 36% of Europe qualified so hopefully we don't have as long a wait till the next tournament.

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

I thought Modric was well known and the obvious player that would make Croatia tick, but apparently Steve Clark never thought of having someone man mark him. We have good players and his tactics are just hoof it up the park. Supposedly his strength is making us hard to beat, but not convinced that's true. We concede at set pieces and don't mark the oppositions best players.

So frustrating that we waited so long to qualify and had this eejit in charge. Now with 24 teams in the tournament 54% of Europe qualifies were in the past only 36% of Europe qualified so hopefully we don't have as long a wait till the next tournament.

His tactics have been described as 20th century. Keep it tight , punt a long ball and hope for the best. That’s how his Kilmarnock team played. Players like Robertson andPaterson thrive on playing from the back, overlapping and quality crosses. A wasted opportunity, the draw with England can’t hide the ineptitude of his tactics. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

His tactics have been described as 20th century. Keep it tight , punt a long ball and hope for the best. That’s how his Kilmarnock team played. Players like Robertson andPaterson thrive on playing from the back, overlapping and quality crosses. A wasted opportunity, the draw with England can’t hide the ineptitude of his tactics. 

To be fair, his Kilmarnock team finished 3rd in the SPL and were relegated this year.

Croatia are just at a different level. Got to the last World Cup finals and Modric is different class. Fan’s reaction at the end suggests they were happy with the progress Clarke is making.

Great to be back at a tournament after all this time and to see the whole Country getting behind them.

Hopefully not such a long wait till next time. I was at the Czech game and it was a great experience.....if not result 🙈

Edited by Comfy Bean

14 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Excellent news. Did you not previously have tickets and then lose out with the Covid or am I getting mixed up.

Had tickets for a few games, including the semis, but not Tuesday.

Been camping on the site since the tournament started (bit like the secret resale site) waiting for tickets to drop. Some came on earlier while I was actually on the train, I actually got off just to make sure I bagged them.