Visiting the site when the festival isn’t on

johnny-yen

Next week I am passing the Pilton area and would love to see some of the site when it’s not during the festival.

Obviously I realise it’s private land and a working farm but noticed there is a public footpath running from Pilton in a south-westerly direction that crosses part of the site. 

My question is, has anyone walked along this route and can much be seen of the site?  Also, has anyone been more adventurous and ‘accidentally’ wandered off the official footpath to try and discover a bit more. Please share your experiences  

Any other advice most welcome. I’ve only got a short time in the area but feel it’s an opportunity not to be missed. 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

Next week I am passing the Pilton area and would love to see some of the site when it’s not during the festival.

Obviously I realise it’s private land and a working farm but noticed there is a public footpath running from Pilton in a south-westerly direction that crosses part of the site. 

My question is, has anyone walked along this route and can much be seen of the site?  Also, has anyone been more adventurous and ‘accidentally’ wandered off the official footpath to try and discover a bit more. Please share your experiences  

Any other advice most welcome. I’ve only got a short time in the area but feel it’s an opportunity not to be missed. 

Thanks. 

Currently the farm has notices up asking people to stay away. I'm sure you and others will respect that request from Michael and his family.

26 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

But surely you are still allowed to walk along a public footpath, aren’t you?

The public footpath basically runs through the car parks and camp sites and might just skirt through the very edge of the John peel field I'm not sure. 

Not much to see really.

In theory you could go off the path and "explore" but you run the risk of being thrown out. Also the farm and locals really don't want people doing that which is why they've put signs up asking that their privacy be respected.

The farm is also going to be busy most of summer now with the pack down from worthy live, camp site opening and prep for the September gig. So the likelihood you'll be able to get anywhere is even lower then normal.

I was down last week from Sheffield and spent an hour or so driving around different little country roads around worthy farm , managed to get a glimpse of the pink kids castle , the stone circle from a far and a field with the scrap yard plane and a few other bits and bobs in it .also got a look at the big white Cross in the old ladys garden and visited the new co op in the village where I bought two blocks of worthy farm cheese one to eat and one to freeze ha ha ,also a cool wood carving of what looks like hendrix and two other musicians just to the right of the village church . First time I've been back down since 2019 and no ticket for the next festival so was nice to be close to such a special place even if it was at arms length 

IMG_20210521_171220_371.jpg

Screenshot_20210521-171028_WhatsApp.jpg

IMG_20210521_171316_263.jpg

IMG_20210521_171316_295.jpg

• 10 months later...
52 minutes ago, Homer said:

I popped onto site v quickly earlier for a gander (Pyramid only). No sign of any build going on; what remains of Pangea still sticking the gaff out (you can see it in one of the pics; didn't encounter any overenthusiastic security guards.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-23 at 11.21.49 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-23 at 11.21.56 AM.jpeg

If you’d hung around you could have gone to the talent comp in the village 

On 5/24/2021 at 4:09 PM, johnny-yen said:

But surely you are still allowed to walk along a public footpath, aren’t you?

Yeah, I don't imagine they can close a footpath this early. I've seen loads of farmers try to pull a fast one by putting 'stay out' signs across public rights of way. Right to roam, motherflippers! 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Yeah, I don't imagine they can close a footpath this early. I've seen loads of farmers try to pull a fast one by putting 'stay out' signs across public rights of way. Right to roam, motherflippers! 👍

There’s only one PROW that ‘crosses’ site though and it doesn’t go anywhere interesting 

• 2 weeks later...

I know Michael & Emily have asked for the public to stay off the farm now, which is gutting because I'm going to be in the area next weekend - is there anywhere, aside from the Tor, where you can get a nice distant view of the farm in the local area?

14 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I know Michael & Emily have asked for the public to stay off the farm now, which is gutting because I'm going to be in the area next weekend - is there anywhere, aside from the Tor, where you can get a nice distant view of the farm in the local area?

The coffee shop at the back of the Methodist church on Top street has a beautiful balcony where you can sit and drink tea, coffee etc lovely cakes. The view across the valley is beautiful. You should be able to see the fence and Arcrania etc but not the pyramid.  Here was a photo from there in march

FB_IMG_1652017122562.jpg

Edited by deebeedoobee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

You could stay here

https://abnb.me/OZHZWW1FRpb

You will get past red gate and be slap bang in the middle of the site. 

image.thumb.png.e4847cf093a08259e1a8ccf0aad3a641.png

they are really nice the people that run it

Cheers, but I'm not staying in the area! Going to a family member's for the weekend who lives an hours drive away, so we're gonna head across for a day over the weekend

Went once when I was visiting glastonbury Town it was a bit awkward not knowing if someone was going to tell you off / where you can walk and this was November time, much better time in glastonbury town and on the tor but did have a nice carvery in Pilton village.