New Guardian Ten Best Sets List

CaledonianGonzo

Maybe one for the controversial opinion thread - I like Beyonce a fair bit, less high on recent records personally but still rate her highly, but I don't view her set as a top 10 Glastonbury performance. It was good, really good, but looking back on the show there's not much there for me that elevates it to the all time list. It's a strong 8/10, but there have been so many 9 and 10/10 sets in the history of the festival. Personally I think the "omg it's Beyonce at Glastonbury" factor carries it on these lists. Top 10 of the decade maybe, definitely if we're just talking headliners, but not all time.

You'd surely have to have Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Adele, Macca and Shakey in there. 

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Maybe one for the controversial opinion thread - I like Beyonce a fair bit, less high on recent records personally but still rate her highly, but I don't view her set as a top 10 Glastonbury performance. It was good, really good, but looking back on the show there's not much there for me that elevates it to the all time list. 

Irreplaceable was a capital letters Glastonbury Moment imho

3 hours ago, jparx said:

Maybe one for the controversial opinion thread - I like Beyonce a fair bit, less high on recent records personally but still rate her highly, but I don't view her set as a top 10 Glastonbury performance. It was good, really good, but looking back on the show there's not much there for me that elevates it to the all time list. It's a strong 8/10, but there have been so many 9 and 10/10 sets in the history of the festival. Personally I think the "omg it's Beyonce at Glastonbury" factor carries it on these lists. Top 10 of the decade maybe, definitely if we're just talking headliners, but not all time.

You'd surely have to have Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Adele, Macca and Shakey in there. 

I thought it was the lesser of the three headliners that year. I’m not really a fan anyway, but I felt it was a bit too slick and lacking in spontaneity. It felt like the same show she’d give to any arena audience.

but one thing these forums has taught me is that we all react differently to the sets. I thought U2 were brilliant despite there consensus. I didn’t enjoy Blur ‘09 at all and left half way through. Blur ‘98 were way better. Blur ‘94 were the best. 

And of course, being in the field will always be a world away from watching it on TV, and nobody can ever hope to see even a small fraction of all performances, so these comparisons are flawed at best.

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Who cares about another Guardian article written by another boring bald liberal called Dorian telling you their boring bald opinion

As a boring bald liberal I take offence at that 😄

• Upvote 1