Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

7 hours ago, Red Day said:

War on Drugs tonight was one of my favourite festival hours ever. Sun going down and the most amazing musicianship. This auld bugger could cry

Completely agree, with the sun setting and the atmosphere it all just synced up amazingly. They sounded so tight as well, probably the best I’ve ever seen them.

By contrast, Haim, who we were really excited for was one of the most cringey and underwhelming sets of the weekend. I don’t know if anyone seen it but the 5 minute “bit” Este done on the phone to ‘Federico’ that went nowhere was absolutely painful to watch. 

Have to say I enjoyed Muse last night as well, haven’t really listened to them much since they started releasing albums about overthrowing dictators and robot soldiers but I forgot how good the songs off those first few albums are, especially live.

Edited by 49Lawson

1 hour ago, 49Lawson said:

By contrast, Haim, who we were really excited for was one of the most cringey and underwhelming sets of the weekend. I don’t know if anyone seen it but the 5 minute “bit” Este done on the phone to ‘Federico’ that went nowhere was absolutely painful to watch. 

Pretty sure they did this at Glasto too based off social media (i'm sure someone who was there can confirm)

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Pretty sure they did this at Glasto too based off social media (i'm sure someone who was there can confirm)

Watched it on the BBC coverage and first thing I thought was really your doing that again? It was badly staged at Glastonbury but as I knew what was coming this time it made it even more tragic. Guess it’s part of “the set” but surely their fans have seen it before on the tour, tv and socials? Don’t get it, just play another song.

4 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Completely agree, with the sun setting and the atmosphere it all just synced up amazingly. They sounded so tight as well, probably the best I’ve ever seen them.

Have to say I enjoyed Muse last night as well, haven’t really listened to them much since they started releasing albums about overthrowing dictators and robot soldiers but I forgot how good the songs off those first few albums are, especially live.

That Haim phone chat was a real cringe moment.  I have no idea what the purpose was but it failed miserably 

1 minute ago, Dales said:

A great run of acts tonight and will probably brave the travel chaos and stick around for Royal Blood.

Still have to make the call between Editors & Flo. 

See Florence and catch Editors at a £20 academy gig at home I'd say

I made a call on the Thursday night to watch Sigrid and st Vincent on the third stage. 

I love rock but seen killers 8 times and didn’t fancy imagine dragons 

Sigrid was surprisingly good and a bit of a guilty pleasure but St Vincent was out of this world. Absolutely superb. 

im glad I mixed it up a bit

17 minutes ago, Aech said:

See Florence and catch Editors at a £20 academy gig at home I'd say

Yeah, that’s what my head is saying. I guess a good problem to have. I guess when she starts her hug a stranger speech / tell some one you love them that willI go on forever I could do a runner to catch some bleak Editors tunes.

Love both of them but sometimes her preaching can get a bit much.

4 minutes ago, Dales said:

Yeah, that’s what my head is saying. I guess a good problem to have. I guess when she starts her hug a stranger speech / tell some one you love them that willI go on forever I could do a runner to catch some bleak Editors tunes.

Love both of them but sometimes her preaching can get a bit much.

she's not doing the hug a stranger bit anymore lol, covid! 

Sorry for the ramble here, but I’ve possible had one Mini Mahou too many and the sun Stoke is setting in, but…

For me, today stands up as one of the best days I’ve ever had in the whole of my time doing festivals for the last 10 years.

In total I managed to see Tom Grennan > Don Broco > The Struts > Gang Of Youths > Pixies > Kings of Leon > Editors > Royal Blood (not all full sets granted, eg, Pixies) and it was a brilliant mix of young bands hitting their prime and old school bands turning up and delivering. 

Two key stand outs; Editors, one of my all time favourite bands just seeming to be very up for it and putting on a cracking show to sign off a tremendous weekend of live music. After 3 years of no festivals, this was absolutely what I was wanting from them.

Secondly, Gang of Youths; (at the risk of over sharing, sorry for anyone who finds this awkward) we lost my Mam back in March this year around the time that they released ‘angel in realtime.’ That album pulled me through some hard days, I don’t know how much people know about it but the lead singer wrote a lot of it about his own father passing. I resonated with it a lot and seeing some of those songs played live tonight in the sunset was just bliss. When you consider it’s been three years without festivals and live gigs for some of us, I think we all really needed this to deliver and it has for me. 

If we were to go home tomorrow I’d still be calling this one of the best festivals I’ve ever been to. And there’s still a good few bands on tomorrow that we’ll get a lot out of. 

I hope everyone has had an amazing festival and they got everything they needed from it. One thing I would say is that you focus on the good and take that with you when you’re stuck back behind that desk next week. We’ve had two horrific years to get through to get here. If Metallica rocked your world on Wednesday, focus on that. If the Boney M secret set in the disco tent last night was more your thing (yes, this genuinely happened) the tell everyone about how wonderful that was. I for one have my fingers crossed that Mad Cool have managed to get all of their ducks in a row ready for 2023. See you all there!

Edited by 49Lawson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

22 hours ago, gfa said:

It was there on the iPlayer set when I watched that. It's appearance here too means I'm presuming it'll surface when I go see Haim in London in two weeks.

11 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Sorry for the ramble here, but I’ve possible had one Mini Mahou too many and the sun Stoke is setting in, but…

For me, today stands up as one of the best days I’ve ever had in the whole of my time doing festivals for the last 10 years.

In total I managed to see Tom Grennan > Don Broco > The Struts > Gang Of Youths > Pixies > Kings of Leon > Editors > Royal Blood (not all full sets granted, eg, Pixies) and it was a brilliant mix of young bands hitting their prime and old school bands turning up and delivering. 

Two key stand outs; Editors, one of my all time favourite bands just seeming to be very up for it and putting on a cracking show to sign off a tremendous weekend of live music. After 3 years of no festivals, this was absolutely what I was wanting from them.

Secondly, Gang of Youths; (at the risk of over sharing, sorry for anyone who finds this awkward) we lost my Mam back in March this year around the time that they released ‘angel in realtime.’ That album pulled me through some hard days, I don’t know how much people know about it but the lead singer wrote a lot of it about his own father passing. I resonated with it a lot and seeing some of those songs played live tonight in the sunset was just bliss. When you consider it’s been three years without festivals and live gigs for some of us, I think we all really needed this to deliver and it has for me. 

If we were to go home tomorrow I’d still be calling this one of the best festivals I’ve ever been to. And there’s still a good few bands on tomorrow that we’ll get a lot out of. 

I hope everyone has had an amazing festival and they got everything they needed from it. One thing I would say is that you focus on the good and take that with you when you’re stuck back behind that desk next week. We’ve had two horrific years to get through to get here. If Metallica rocked your world on Wednesday, focus on that. If the Boney M secret set in the disco tent last night was more your thing (yes, this genuinely happened) the tell everyone about how wonderful that was. I for one have my fingers crossed that Mad Cool have managed to get all of their ducks in a row ready for 2023. See you all there!

Great post. We had a brilliant time and it was fantastic being back watching loads of tremendous bands.  Music really does help you get through the more difficult times of life

• Like 1