Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

Well after our outbound flight was cancelled, British Airways never got back to us to solve the problem and our flight from Heathrow to Madrid being quite delayed once we managed to get down to London, we’ve just woke up in Madrid ready for a festival!

It kind of doesn’t feel real. Yesterday’s cancellations thankfully don’t affect our weekend too much (other than the Regrettes, but it just means we’ll be getting a good spot for Placebo now) and I’ve no doubt there’ll be more to come over the weekend. But as there was a very real chance we might not have made it at all this  time Monday morning I’m just going to enjoy it for what it is.

Hope everyone sees some great bands, stays safe and just has a fantastic time!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DomenicoZappala said:

I’m personally not massive on Stormzy anyway, but it’s absolutely ridiculous for a festival to lose a huge headliner and not say anything about it and just slyly push deftones up to headliner spot? 

It’s honestly just insulting to customers at this point! 

Feel sorry for anyone who might have had a  day ticket for that day! 

I’m nit sure I understand what they were supposed to do. 

He pulled out a week before.

I’m just thankful the festival is on

Anyway - the festival starts today - we still have a decent array of bands although not amazingly diverse.

After going previously - after the adrenaline wears off - stay hydrated, wear sun cream, don’t pre drink to a level where you can hardly speak at 5pm and enjoy yourselves. That’s my advice. You will crash and burn in this heat otherwise

I hope that after the previous negativity (some deserved for sure)….. the next few days go well for everyone.

Been a pleasure debating and chatting with you all on here again this year. I’m getting old now so might be my last one.

Stay safe and have fun kids 👍🏼

Till next year………… maybe

Edited by jonnytee1

We flew in without drama yesterday, few drinks near the hotel last night, we're doing the Bernabaeu stadium at lunchtime and then getting up there for the wristband exchange opening at 5pm.  Feels a bit surreal to actually be on day one at last, after buying the tickets in early December 2019.  Have a great time everyone! 

2 hours ago, Dales said:

Have a great one everyone and good advice to stay hydrated. Just hope I get in on time for Wolf Alice but in this heat, I think I will just be gently watching and not dancing like a loon 🙂

Very minimal 'dancing' going on from me for the early bands over the weekend. The early evening yesterday felt very very hot.

Edited by gingerevans84

Really enjoyed day 1, saw some amazing bands. 

The only issue we had was getting back to central Madrid. We were really lucky last night, and managed to get back to our hotel about an and twenty minutes after leaving the site. I will definitely have to post what  happened on here at some point, but  we won’t be able to repeat that  tonight.

So for those of you that headed back to central Madrid, how did you manage it? (The queues for taxes looked insane).

How do you plan to get back after the festival tonight?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Really enjoyed day 1, saw some amazing bands. 

The only issue we had was getting back to central Madrid. We were really lucky last night, and managed to get back to our hotel about an and twenty minutes after leaving the site. I will definitely have to post what  happened on here at some point, but  we won’t be able to repeat that  tonight.

So for those of you that headed back to central Madrid, how did you manage it? (The queues for taxes looked insane).

How do you plan to get back after the festival tonight?

Thanks 

Metro to Nuevos Ministerios and order a Cabify there or take a taxi near Nuevos Ministerios.

We got the metro, expecting it to stop only at Nuevos Ministerios but it was making stops on the way so we got out at Colombia and managed to get on another line to Plaza De Castilla.

The Metro station platform was very crowded and we didn't make it onto the first one that came when we were waiting, but made the second and it was only a few minutes in between them.

Metro is the way to go if you have a hotel close to Nuevos Ministerios. We arrived at the station just about 2.00 am and got on the second train. I think this might have been the last train of the night so leave enough time. Trains run to 4.00 am for the next 3 nights so shouldn't be a problem.

Bars and toilets excellent last night, never waited long for anything.

Placebo and Twenty One Pilots were excellent.

When we got to the metro station at around 1am we were under the impression it was closed. So we took the bus which served as a bit better as it took us within walking distance to our hotel. Whereas with metro we would have to pick an uber once at Nuevos Ministerios. Bus queue was big but got on the bus within 10-15 min

Getting in and getting out we’re to different stories. Took 5 minutes to collect wristbands and get in, amazing. No ques but could see there were ones for the ladies toilets.

No point in moaning about the heat for the likes of Wolf Alice. Knew that would be an issue when I booked.

Getting home was a nightmare. Don’t really do public transport as difficult for health reasons. So in general drive, taxi to gigs/festivals. We left around 12.30 as expected issues in getting Uber’s. We struggled to get an Uber from official pick up. If they excepted they cancelled. I think our plan to stay close back fired as the Uber’s were taking longer fares. I was told that they were struggling to be allowed in and so were taking bigger fares. As we could not get an Uber we left for the taxi que around 2.30. It was biblical, there must have been thousands in front of us when we ducked out at 4 and got an Uber that agreed to take us from the taxi rank.

The struggle to get home ruined any enjoyment we had. Now going to discuss who to bin off and leave super early each night 😞

I thought it was/is a well run event but the taxi/Uber situation will kill any chance of a return for me.

Was also told by a few that with the issues of being let in taxis/Uber’s are more likely to serve the pride events in central Madrid over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Did you have to wait long for the metro?

Not really. We caught the second metro once we arrived to the station. Then once you are in Nuevos Ministerios, walk towards Cuatro Caminos to get a taxi. We got one in less than 5 minutes. 

Edited by johnybegood
  • Upvote 1

Great feeling about yesterday. Getting to the site is a slog, but once you’re in there is plenty of water, no queues for beer or toilets, a massive range of food and the cashless system works  well. Add in a relaxed crowd and friendly security and bar staff, and it’s the dream vibe. (I believe there are some bands too.)

Highlight if the day for me was Sports Team. Full of energy, the new stuff is at least as good as the old, and the unexpected Bangles cover was a treat. 

Edited by Modesty Powder

I was planning on leaving via metro at around 1am but it appeared closed to me. I guess the door was open on the other side as other people used it til 2am.

In the end I used the bus which took me within walking distance to my hotel.

I didn't use the water fountain as many people were sucking them which I find quite gross

We used the metro and managed to snake our way across the city to La Latina. Really well laid out festival and plenty of beer stalls, food vendors and toilets.

Saw quite a few bands and thought Metallica were fantastic. Enjoyed Wolf Alice, Creeper, Daytime TV, Frank Carter and Fever 333.

The security at the entrance were utter dicks. Searched bags and telling everyone to bin sun cream. In that heat that was criminal.  Judging by other’s comments on Social Media, the transport hub after the festival was a clusterfuck. You really can’t have a festival on the edge of a city and not provide transport links is amateur. 

Still looking forward to it today. Hope everyone has a good time and the transport has been sorted.