Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

On 6/14/2022 at 10:59 PM, clasher said:

- day 1 clusterfuck (improved immensely the next day though): looooong queues to get wristbands in hot Madrid sun with no shade, cash register network collapsing, not enough bar staff
- long walk to the entrance
- long way home (do we have any info on that btw, shuttle buses, metros?)

I only came for AM day in 2018 and had no problems getting in, but I did hear a lot of complaints for the day before being a mess to get in and some of those other things. Must've got lucky that they rectified things after such a full-on faceplant.

I can agree on the issues getting out though. The long walk through an exhibition centre to a metro station with just one service to one random city centre bus stop and an onward bus with no indication where it was going was a real strange guessing game to play. And probably didn't help with why I had no energy when getting up for my flight home the day after on 3 hours sleep.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I only came for AM day in 2018 and had no problems getting in, but I did hear a lot of complaints for the day before being a mess to get in and some of those other things. Must've got lucky that they rectified things after such a full-on faceplant.

I can agree on the issues getting out though. The long walk through an exhibition centre to a metro station with just one service to one random city centre bus stop and an onward bus with no indication where it was going was a real strange guessing game to play. And probably didn't help with why I had no energy when getting up for my flight home the day after on 3 hours sleep.

I was in a group of four - two of us who had the wristbands shipped got in right away (that's after the moderate waiting time to get through security and walk to the entrance). The other two had to wait in line for at least an hour to get the wristbands. Moreover, they failed to scan the barcode on the printed ticket of one of them, so he had to wait in yet another line that was moving even slower than the first. He barely managed to catch the start of Tame Impala at around 21:30. We arrived at the metro station before 18:00. All of that with basically no shade in the Madrid sun.

After me and my friend got in we queued for beer. That's when their cash register system failed and they couldn't sell any drinks. We spent the whole Toundra set and some more in that queue without moving.

Things started getting better after around 20:00, though the bars were still crowded. Next day was fine, more bar staff, portable beer sellers etc.

Getting back was a shitshow. We were staying in Gran Via, so with took a combination of shuttle buses where people were throwing up in, taxis, night buses and walking. Being dead tired, fairly drunk and sleepy didn't help either.

11 minutes ago, clasher said:

I was in a group of four - two of us who had the wristbands shipped got in right away (that's after the moderate waiting time to get through security and walk to the entrance). The other two had to wait in line for at least an hour to get the wristbands. Moreover, they failed to scan the barcode on the printed ticket of one of them, so he had to wait in yet another line that was moving even slower than the first. He barely managed to catch the start of Tame Impala at around 21:30. We arrived at the metro station before 18:00. All of that with basically no shade in the Madrid sun.

After me and my friend got in we queued for beer. That's when their cash register system failed and they couldn't sell any drinks. We spent the whole Toundra set and some more in that queue without moving.

Things started getting better after around 20:00, though the bars were still crowded. Next day was fine, more bar staff, portable beer sellers etc.

Getting back was a shitshow. We were staying in Gran Via, so with took a combination of shuttle buses where people were throwing up in, taxis, night buses and walking. Being dead tired, fairly drunk and sleepy didn't help either.

That wait in the sun was tough. I had a friend who is bald and he really struggled. We all grabbed free hats as soon as we got in, but I'm taking one with me this year.

Surprised you struggled to get back though. We stayed in the same area and got the shuttle really easily to not far from the hotel (although I believe that shuttle stopped going that far in 2019 so we've gambled on Plaza Castilla this year). 

24 minutes ago, clasher said:

The issues getting back wasn't far from my experience tbf. I stayed in a cheap hotel near to Atocha train station, so the shuttle bus and a long walk (though that can partly be because I got off by the Neptune fountain, which turned out to be one station early). Can't vouch for the vomiting part of it though, but then the metro train that was the first part of my journey was mainly full of drunk Scottish people calling Massive Attack w*nkers for cancelling last minute in my experience.

That first part of the experience, by contrast, sounds like a god-damn nightmare.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:52 PM, clasher said:

Are there any accommodations available near festival site? 

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Bilbao BBK, same dates as Mad Cool, put out their timetable last week.

Also still haven’t been sent my wristband despite paying for tickets a couple of years ago.

Hopefully should be very soon with the timetable - they replied to everyone on their latest social media posts with imminent - which is definitely a step up from "we're working on it" ;) 

3 minutes ago, bluenova said:

Hopefully should be very soon with the timetable - they replied to everyone on their latest social media posts with imminent - which is definitely a step up from "we're working on it" 😉

It’s going to have to be soon as the festival starts in 2 weeks 🙂

My wristbands have arrived but now 30 minutes ago my airbnb-host cancelled the appartment.

I'm now looking for a new place to stay. Can someone please tell me where the Mad Cool area is located now? Because I heard the old one closed so I'm not sure where it is anymore.

*edit:

this is the place I found. So that's the location. I used to have an appartment on walking distance but now it's gone for some odd reason. Are the metros riding all night cause I now have another option close to a good metro station?

Avenida
Alejandro de la Sota, 51
Edited by jirrit

14 minutes ago, jirrit said:

My wristbands have arrived but now 30 minutes ago my airbnb-host cancelled the appartment.

I'm now looking for a new place to stay. Can someone please tell me where the Mad Cool area is located now? Because I heard the old one closed so I'm not sure where it is anymore.

*edit:

this is the place I found. So that's the location. I used to have an appartment on walking distance but now it's gone for some odd reason. Are the metros riding all night cause I now have another option close to a good metro station?

Avenida
Alejandro de la Sota, 51

What a nightmare - sorry to hear about the flat.

The location is the same as before.

I don't think the metro runs through the night - it finishes maybe 1.30ish.

I've also not seen info on shuttle buses yet.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Bilbao BBK, same dates as Mad Cool, put out their timetable last week.

Also still haven’t been sent my wristband despite paying for tickets a couple of years ago.

Last time it came out on 20th June. Should be imminent, hopefully by Friday (might affect Glasto choices for me). 

I think most got their wristbands ages ago, do you have a tracker or status on those? I know you think Mad Cool are completely useless but I don't know if this just them being slow at this stage. 

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

Last time it came out on 20th June. Should be imminent, hopefully by Friday (might affect Glasto choices for me). 

I think most got their wristbands ages ago, do you have a tracker or status on those? I know you think Mad Cool are completely useless but I don't know if this just them being slow at this stage. 

loads of people on Facebook have said they've not got them. Mad Cool also said they're sending out till the end of June, although it is cutting it fine for anywhere outside Spain, as I got my notification of dispatch on the 19th April, but they only arrived in Manchester on the 27th.

2 minutes ago, bluenova said:

loads of people on Facebook have said they've not got them. Mad Cool also said they're sending out till the end of June, although it is cutting it fine for anywhere outside Spain, as I got my notification of dispatch on the 19th April, but they only arrived in Manchester on the 27th.

Fair play, yeah that is late. I suppose it's the same timings as Glastonbury, I was a bit nervous about that for a while.

Still not had our tickets yet. 

First year we went the metro was on all night from memory.

Last time metro finished around 130am. There were shuttle buses and sponsors Santander put buses on for customers. 

Really needs something put on or else going to be horrendous getting back into city. 

48 minutes ago, Cactusgirl said:

Still not had our tickets yet. 

First year we went the metro was on all night from memory.

Last time metro finished around 130am. There were shuttle buses and sponsors Santander put buses on for customers. 

Really needs something put on or else going to be horrendous getting back into city. 

I messaged them today about shuttle buses, and they said they were "...we are still working on it and we’ll provide information as soon as we can! Thank you for your patience😊".

I mean, that's pretty late to be working on shuttle buses - unless they're planning to add all the info at once on the website, but  they did post a video of the site being set up today so hopefully it's not all a scam 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluenova said:

I messaged them today about shuttle buses, and they said they were "...we are still working on it and we’ll provide information as soon as we can! Thank you for your patience😊".

I mean, that's pretty late to be working on shuttle buses - unless they're planning to add all the info at once on the website, but  they did post a video of the site being set up today so hopefully it's not all a scam 🙂

In fairness they've only had (checks notes) 3 years less two weeks to work out how to get people to and from the same site as last time so can't be too hard on them.

3 minutes ago, Woody133 said:

I assume clashfinder isn't accurate? Muse and Pheobe Bridgers are the 2 main acts I want to see on Friday and they're clashing according to that.....

If you look at the status of the clashfinder in the top left corner it says words to effect of ‘don’t even think about printing’ - in other words it’s complete guesswork.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

There’s now an incubus ‘secret’ show on the day before the festival and (a bit of a cheek) they want 30 Euros for it.

Less than two weeks to go and still no timetables…

You can be really negative. Have you ever been to Download? You get the timetable on the Monday before the festival starts. Always cool to see other festivals give theirs out before that but there is no need to worry. 

2 hours ago, C_Elrik said:

You can be really negative. Have you ever been to Download? You get the timetable on the Monday before the festival starts. Always cool to see other festivals give theirs out before that but there is no need to worry. 

Not worried, just pointing out that what a shoddy experience it had been with them this year.

I bought a ticket to the Friday, yet don't have my wristband, don't have the timetable (in previous years they had issued them by now) and don't have the headliners I thought I was getting nor adequate replacements. Their social media/comms are beyond poor and they are dishonest.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not worried, just pointing out that what a shoddy experience it had been with them this year.

I bought a ticket to the Friday, yet don't have my wristband, don't have the timetable (in previous years they had issued them by now) and don't have the headliners I thought I was getting nor adequate replacements. Their social media/comms are beyond poor and they are dishonest.

Wristbands are currently being sent out and sure if they don't arrive you can pick them up. I'm flying from Ireland and mine only just arrived but thought worst case scenario you just grab them there. 

If you only have a ticket for the Friday and you wanted specific headliners why not take the refund? The option is there and it would save you having to complain or constantly be annoyed. No point in going to something that you are clearly disgruntled towards.

18 minutes ago, C_Elrik said:

Wristbands are currently being sent out and sure if they don't arrive you can pick them up. I'm flying from Ireland and mine only just arrived but thought worst case scenario you just grab them there. 

If you only have a ticket for the Friday and you wanted specific headliners why not take the refund? The option is there and it would save you having to complain or constantly be annoyed. No point in going to something that you are clearly disgruntled towards.

Fair enough, though I can’t as hotel and travel pre-paid and in any case they are saying I can’t have a refund as the window is already closed (they didn’t previously specify a closing date).

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys it.