Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

For those that have been making excuses for Mad Cool not naming replacement headliners for Faith No More and QOTSA, if you want to see how a festival is properly run then take a look at Boston Calling. A city centre festival similar to Mad Cool. 

Foo Fighters pulled out at the end of March and they named Nine Inch Nails as a replacement a week later. 

The Strokes pulled out yesterday due to COVID and they arranged for NIN to play a second headline set within 24 hours. 

FNM pulled out in December 2021 !

2 hours ago, Prophet of Doom said:

For those that have been making excuses for Mad Cool not naming replacement headliners for Faith No More and QOTSA, if you want to see how a festival is properly run then take a look at Boston Calling. A city centre festival similar to Mad Cool. 

Foo Fighters pulled out at the end of March and they named Nine Inch Nails as a replacement a week later. 

The Strokes pulled out yesterday due to COVID and they arranged for NIN to play a second headline set within 24 hours. 

FNM pulled out in December 2021 !

Sometimes you cannot decide when to announce a headliner…

Edited by johnybegood

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

Sometimes you cannot decide when to announce a headliner…

Maybe there is an embargo restricting replacements being named. If that’s the case then thats maybe acceptable for a replacement for a late withdrawal. 

FNM pulled their appearance 8 months before the festival date. They shouldn’t be getting replaced by an artist that can’t be named until a couple of weeks prior.

Had a dream last night that they replaced one of the headliners with LCD Soundsystem and they announced the show in the middle of their Bilbao BBK show. 

Think half it is because our wrist bands arrived yesterday and half of it is cos I’m having major festival withdrawals now 

On 5/28/2022 at 2:55 PM, Prophet of Doom said:

Maybe there is an embargo restricting replacements being named. If that’s the case then thats maybe acceptable for a replacement for a late withdrawal. 

FNM pulled their appearance 8 months before the festival date. They shouldn’t be getting replaced by an artist that can’t be named until a couple of weeks prior.

Sometimes - you don't get a replacement headliner  -  Rock Werchter have not named replacements, nor do they intend to. 

Personally  -  I love NIN but if i was going to see the Strokes and foo fighters and got NIN TWICE in 2 days -  I wouldn't be over excited.

I am not and will not defend Mad Cool for their lack of communication -  its not good enough - debate not even necessary, however I am more than happy with the line up we have even without QOTSA and FNM. Especially after the last couple of years we have been through.

I think that the people "defending" it or "sticking up" for the festival, probably aren't defending it by choice, they are probably just a bit fed up with the doom and gloom on this forum when the line up is actually still miles better than almost every festival out there. 

The only way people can truly vent their frustration if they are not happy is 

1) Sell your ticket and don't go

2)  Go this year but never go again 

Edited by jonnytee1
  • Upvote 4

This festival is kind of like Ryanair. 

You don't like it. It annoys you. You know the baggage policy is crap and you know communication is crap. You can't defend it, you struggle to praise it. But in the end the flights are still miles cheaper than the rest and this lineup is still loaded af. You know full well what you're getting into, but you do it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

Sometimes - you don't get a replacement headliner  -  Rock Werchter have not named replacements, nor do they intend to. 

Personally  -  I love NIN but if i was going to see the Strokes and foo fighters and got NIN TWICE in 2 days -  I wouldn't be over excited.

I am not and will not defend Mad Cool for their lack of communication -  its not good enough - debate not even necessary, however I am more than happy with the line up we have even without QOTSA and FNM. Especially after the last couple of years we have been through.

I think that the people "defending" it or "sticking up" for the festival, probably aren't defending it by choice, they are probably just a bit fed up with the doom and gloom on this forum when the line up is actually still miles better than almost every festival out there. 

The only way people can truly vent their frustration if they are not happy is 

1) Sell your ticket and don't go

2)  Go this year but never go again 

Boston Calling had 24 hours notice after losing a headliner and getting NIN to play a second night ( and playing a virtually completely different set ) is fantastic and 100 times better than bumping other bands up the list. 

Mad Cool is my favourite festival as Madrid is a great city and I go over in a group of 20 ( which was even bigger last time around ). I will go again next year more because of the laughs we have. But the festival itself is a shambles at times.

Saying sell your ticket is bollocks when flights and hotels have been booked for 20. 

All we ask for is that they be more professional. If you lose headliners then keep punters updated.  If they sell day tickets like MC do they have a responsibility for each individual day.

If they can’t name replacements then say new headliners will be announced soon.

If they are not replacing them then tell ticketholders that is the situation.

Saying nothing is completely wrong and not acceptable for a major festival.

15 minutes ago, Prophet of Doom said:

Boston Calling had 24 hours notice after losing a headliner and getting NIN to play a second night ( and playing a virtually completely different set ) is fantastic and 100 times better than bumping other bands up the list. 

Mad Cool is my favourite festival as Madrid is a great city and I go over in a group of 20 ( which was even bigger last time around ). I will go again next year more because of the laughs we have. But the festival itself is a shambles at times.

Saying sell your ticket is bollocks when flights and hotels have been booked for 20. 

All we ask for is that they be more professional. If you lose headliners then keep punters updated.  If they sell day tickets like MC do they have a responsibility for each individual day.

Contracts, exclusivities and embargos in US festivals has nothing to do with European ones. You cannot compare Boston Calling or US festivals industry with European one. 

When an European big festival books a headliner, normally they sign in the contract that they cannot announce another show in the same country until the festival happens. You won't have this problems in the States where the festivals share their headliners. 

European (and Spanish) contracts with lot of bands have lot embargos and exclusivities. I remember Resurrection Festival announcing a headliner as "only show in Spain in the next two years".

Be patient, wait until Primavera happens and then analize if Mad Cool have taken right decisions keeping silence. Their festival is sold out, as well as Werchter is, so they can act the same way that Werchter and do not replace the big bands that have pulled out or spend money in booking big bands once the festival is sold-out. Let's see...

Edited by johnybegood

7 hours ago, johnybegood said:

Contracts, exclusivities and embargos in US festivals has nothing to do with European ones. You cannot compare Boston Calling or US festivals industry with European one. 

When an European big festival books a headliner, normally they sign in the contract that they cannot announce another show in the same country until the festival happens. You won't have this problems in the States where the festivals share their headliners. 

European (and Spanish) contracts with lot of bands have lot embargos and exclusivities. I remember Resurrection Festival announcing a headliner as "only show in Spain in the next two years".

Be patient, wait until Primavera happens and then analize if Mad Cool have taken right decisions keeping silence. Their festival is sold out, as well as Werchter is, so they can act the same way that Werchter and do not replace the big bands that have pulled out or spend money in booking big bands once the festival is sold-out. Let's see...

It's still disgraceful that people are buying tickets on false pretences. Even changing it to TBA would be so much better

• Upvote 3

On 5/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, clasher said:

This festival is kind of like Ryanair. 

You don't like it. It annoys you. You know the baggage policy is crap and you know communication is crap. You can't defend it, you struggle to praise it. But in the end the flights are still miles cheaper than the rest and this lineup is still loaded af. You know full well what you're getting into, but you do it anyway.

Yeah but the line up of the festival is good - Ryanair planes are as bad as their service - bad analogy 😂😂

21 hours ago, Prophet of Doom said:

Even after all that though I’d rather pay £170 for this with half the bands pulling out and no social media Info from the organisers than pay an extra £70 for an Isle of Wight festival ticket, who update every day about the worst line up I’ve ever seen 🤷‍♂️

I seriously think it’s only us on this forum who are even that bothered in fairness. 

99.9 percent of the people who bought tickets probably just think “I’ve got a ticket” - they’ll go to the festival - a few will moan when a few bands don’t turn up, most won’t. 

Everyone has fun, festivals are back, we all wait until the next years headliners are named, we all get tickets because it’s an amazing line up……….

Then we will all moan about the same crap we moaned about this year 

🤷‍♂️

16 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

I seriously think it’s only us on this forum who are even that bothered in fairness. 

99.9 percent of the people who bought tickets probably just think “I’ve got a ticket” - they’ll go to the festival - a few will moan when a few bands don’t turn up, most won’t. 

Everyone has fun, festivals are back, we all wait until the next years headliners are named, we all get tickets because it’s an amazing line up……….

🤷‍♂️

Well after all the shit Primavera got for having acts drop out and not replacing them I’m sure this is exactly what Mad Cool are hoping for - just delay the inevitable of announcing dropouts to the point that people just have to get on with it and enjoy the festival regardless. Seems super scummy to me, especially with such big names dropping out, and I doubt people are gonna be as passive about it as you say, but clearly they’re willing to just sit on their hands and deal with the flack when it happens. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well after all the shit Primavera got for having acts drop out and not replacing them I’m sure this is exactly what Mad Cool are hoping for - just delay the inevitable of announcing dropouts to the point that people just have to get on with it and enjoy the festival regardless. Seems super scummy to me, especially with such big names dropping out, and I doubt people are gonna be as passive about it as you say, but clearly they’re willing to just sit on their hands and deal with the flack when it happens. 

Primavera never said they would replace their headliner (massive attack) and they cancelled just a couple of months before the festival. 

Mad Cool said they would replace Faith No More *last year* (At the festival we are already working to find a replacement band”) and have had a whacking great star on their poster to indicate this ever since.

We are owed two replacements. Not replacing one is poor form, not replacing two is close to fraud.

17 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

🤷‍♂️

There are thousands that probably don’t know QUOTSA are not even playing as they are still on the lineup listed on their social media. 

Whilst punters going to the festival for 4 or 5 days may not be arsed about 2 x headliners dropping out on one day, I’m pretty sure customers that have single day tickets for the Friday will be. 

But like you say, maybe we just need patience till other festivals have finished and embargoes expired. You mentioned Primavera, whilst I did wonder earlier in the thread if it may be Hellfest in France if they looking for similar bands to QOTSA and FNM. 

We shall see

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

We are owed two replacements. Not replacing one is poor form, not replacing two is close to fraud

They will have to do something unless Muse play a 4 hour set  -  2 headliners is a lot of time to fill on the two main stages. 

I'm not sure why we are "owed" any replacements. The only thing we are owed is some information on who's playing  / not paying and whats going on.

14 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

They will have to do something unless Muse play a 4 hour set  -  2 headliners is a lot of time to fill on the two main stages. 

I'm not sure why we are "owed" any replacements. The only thing we are owed is some information on who's playing  / not paying and whats going on.

You can't have read my post above. They have pledged to replace Faith No More, hence we are 'owed' a replacement.

It is common at festivals for refunds to be offered when they don't replace one headliner, let alone two.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, xxialac said:

You can't have read my post above. They have pledged to replace Faith No More, hence we are 'owed' a replacement.

It is common at festivals for refunds to be offered when they don't replace one headliner, let alone two.

No - I read it clearly - it’s says they are “working hard to find a replacement” not “we will definitely have a replacement” 

They may well have one or pull something out of the hat but I think they will probably bump bands up the list 

We will have to wait and see what happens. 

19 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

No - I read it clearly - it’s says they are “working hard to find a replacement” not “we will definitely have a replacement” 

They may well have one or pull something out of the hat but I think they will probably bump bands up the list 

We will have to wait and see what happens. 

Nope.

If you write a press release "At the festival we are already working to find a replacement band",

...they are signalling that they are doing all they can to replace the band *quickly*. It doesn't imply that they might not be able to bring in a replacement at all - had this been a risk they would have used other wording.

They have pledged a replacement.

Hey guys, i recently purchased a day ticket from festicket. Does anyone know if I need to register it on the mad cool area or will the wristband automatically be sent out to me? I would email festicket but they have a habit of not replying to anything!

On 6/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, Amsy said:

Hey guys, i recently purchased a day ticket from festicket. Does anyone know if I need to register it on the mad cool area or will the wristband automatically be sent out to me? I would email festicket but they have a habit of not replying to anything!

Not sure if they're still sending out wristbands, however it's worth logging into the Mad Cool Area anyone. Pretty sure you should already be registered - you just need to enter the ticket details to log in.

That will at least reassure you that they have the correct address info etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluenova said:

Not sure if they're still sending out wristbands, however it's worth logging into the Mad Cool Area anyone. Pretty sure you should already be registered - you just need to enter the ticket details to log in.

That will at least reassure you that they have the correct address info etc.

Thanks for your helpful reply mate. I just logged onto mad cool area and my detail's are on there 🙂