Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

4 hours ago, Dales said:

I know its annoying but buried some where in the terms & conditions will be lineup subject to change. 

They have made a rod for their own back by making a thing out of having 3 headliners a night. At most festivals being able to advertise Muse as your headliner would be more then enough.

Even with out QOTSA & FNM, I doubt there are many festivals with a bigger set of headline acts. So, I'm not that bothered what they do about replacements.  I love QOTSA but they were not on the lineup when I bought my ticket. I  like FNM but as I have not seen them before, I dont like them enough to have bought a ticket to their own headline shows.

Billie & Swift are more of a blow as they were on the original lineup.

Hoping they pull a rabbit out of the hat but struggling to think who?

But you can’t sell tickets on the premise that there are 3 headliners , then pull 2 of them and say ‘aye but Muse are good so you can’t complain’ !

Where is the communication on anything ? Never mind telling us who is playing - they ain’t saying anything ?

It’s bizarre a festival of this size seems to have no  team operating its PR or social media output ??? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Prophet of Doom said:

But you can’t sell tickets on the premise that there are 3 headliners , then pull 2 of them and say ‘aye but Muse are good so you can’t complain’ !

Where is the communication on anything ? Never mind telling us who is playing - they ain’t saying anything ?

It’s bizarre a festival of this size seems to have no  team operating its PR or social media output ??? 

Yes. Most festivals of this size post every day or at least every week.

It’s embarrassing, really. They are nowhere to be seen, three news items all year on facebook (two of which were plugging ticket sales), their instagram not much better and their website is a joke.

They have fierce competition next year in the form of Primavera Sound. I don’t see them surviving with this extreme level of incompetence.

8 hours ago, xxialac said:

Yes. Most festivals of this size post every day or at least every week.

It’s embarrassing, really. They are nowhere to be seen, three news items all year on facebook (two of which were plugging ticket sales), their instagram not much better and their website is a joke.

They have fierce competition next year in the form of Primavera Sound. I don’t see them surviving with this extreme level of incompetence.

They will survive though because for every person who is upset or disappointed or angry about the way they operate, there are 2 people who don’t know or care. 

Im not defending them and not saying it’s right but for anyone who goes to a festival for line ups alone - this will always be in the top 3 in Europe. 

Im going this year for my step son who loves loads of bands there and can not go alone as he is autistic. 

Generally I’d look for a lot more from a festival in terms of both cooperation with the fans and things to do on site.

It may happen over a long time but I think for the next few years max cool will continue to sell out on line up alone. 

Edited by jonnytee1

2 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

They will survive though because for every person who is upset or disappointed or angry about the way they operate, there are 2 people who don’t know or care. 

Im not defending them and not saying it’s right but for anyone who goes to a festival for line ups alone - this will always be in the top 3 in Europe. 

Im going this year for my step son who loves loads of bands there and can not go alone as he is autistic. 

Generally I’d look for a lot more from a festival in terms of both cooperation with the fans and things to do on site.

It may happen over a long time but I think for the next few years max cool will continue to sell out on line up alone. 

I hear you. However they have major new competition next year with Primavera Sound also in Madrid next year. 

It’s inevitable having such a heavyweight festival at a similar time of year will cannibalise sales at Mad Cool.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I hear you. However they have major new competition next year with Primavera Sound also in Madrid next year. 

It’s inevitable having such a heavyweight festival at a similar time of year will cannibalise sales at Mad Cool.

Primavera appeals to a different audience though. Mad Cool brings in the most popular rock bands and Primavera have more "niche" headliners I think both can easily survive.

25 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Primavera appeals to a different audience though. Mad Cool brings in the most popular rock bands and Primavera have more "niche" headliners I think both can easily survive.

This was literally their last edition. They are closer in who they book than you imply.

5430458A-A20A-4F4D-AEC2-6EAA3A8DDECA.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Having been to both MC and Primavera several times I have enjoyed both. Lineups at MC are always a bit more commercial but love that at both festivals you can have a day in the City then festival at night. 

It’s probably right that at the end of the day most punters are interested in lineups and nothing else. 

But the lack of communication is staggering. I mean why wouldn’t a festival of this size be banging out content every day ? I’ve seen tiny UK festivals a fraction of the size post 50 times the content MC do. 

Its truly bizarre. Just over a month to go and they have tweeted once in 6 months about the festival ( and twice about another they are organising ). 

Just now, Prophet of Doom said:

Having been to both MC and Primavera several times I have enjoyed both. Lineups at MC are always a bit more commercial but love that at both festivals you can have a day in the City then festival at night. 

It’s probably right that at the end of the day most punters are interested in lineups and nothing else. 

But the lack of communication is staggering. I mean why wouldn’t a festival of this size be banging out content every day ? I’ve seen tiny UK festivals a fraction of the size post 50 times the content MC do. 

Its truly bizarre. Just over a month to go and they have tweeted once in 6 months about the festival ( and twice about another they are organising ). 

People were speculating during covid that social media people would be the first sorta staff to be cut from the jobs of festivals as they are alot more expendable than the rest of the staff. I agree though Mad Cool has terrible communication. Primavera isn't much better either on communication 

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This was literally their last edition. They are closer in who they book than you imply.

5430458A-A20A-4F4D-AEC2-6EAA3A8DDECA.jpeg

That lineup to be fair was very similar to something you might get at primavera but Mad Cool is a much more commercial festival or at least it feels that is the direction its going in. Thankfully I'm going to be at Primavera and Mad Cool this year 

1 hour ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

That lineup to be fair was very similar to something you might get at primavera but Mad Cool is a much more commercial festival or at least it feels that is the direction its going in. Thankfully I'm going to be at Primavera and Mad Cool this year 

No one likes a big head 😂😂

….. apart from snipers 

• Upvote 1

I agree the comms are super poor and not doing something about QOTSA on the  poster is trully staggering. However, every year they get slated for leaking/teasing artists and then loosing them. This year oddly they have said nothing about the missing headline acts and they still get slated aboout it.

If they are working on 1 or 2 new headliners then I would rather they had zero comms if that could upset some highly strunge artist who is precious over such stuff. damned if they do and damned if the dont say anything.

For me the line-up is stacked and I have paid more for a Metallica ticket in the past then I paid for my Madcool 4 day ticket and so for me the missing headliners make little difference. The line up is full of bands I go to see regularly play their own shows. I have seen a huge chunk of the lineup many times and still plan to see those artists again at Madcool.

I still have not given up hope of them finding a replacement but if I dont like them it makes no difference to me. Its only relevant if they find some one you actually like. If some one bought tickets to specificly see FNM or QOTSA then I  do feel sorry. But how is that different from those who might have bought original tickets to see Billie or Taylor or bought tickets later to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Cardi B?

Line ups are going to change, thats just the way things are these days. At the moment we are expecting  1 or 2 headline changes. So far Comms are super poor but the upside, is that they have not said there are no replacement or bumped anyone up. I seem to remember Royal Blood were a headliner at one point and Pixies & Placebo were supports. I  am willing to see what happens in the coming weeks. 

I still can't believe how many big bands are on the line-up for the price. Although, a little miffed they moved Sam Fender from day 1 to the Sunday. 

As it stands we dont know that there are no replacement headline acts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I agree the comms are super poor and not doing something about QOTSA on the  poster is trully staggering. However, every year they get slated for leaking/teasing artists and then loosing them. This year oddly they have said nothing about the missing headline acts and they still get slated aboout it.

If they are working on 1 or 2 new headliners then I would rather they had zero comms if that could upset some highly strunge artist who is precious over such stuff. damned if they do and damned if the dont say anything.

For me the line-up is stacked and I have paid more for a Metallica ticket in the past then I paid for my Madcool 4 day ticket and so for me the missing headliners make little difference. The line up is full of bands I go to see regularly play their own shows. I have seen a huge chunk of the lineup many times and still plan to see those artists again at Madcool.

I still have not given up hope of them finding a replacement but if I dont like them it makes no difference to me. Its only relevant if they find some one you actually like. If some one bought tickets to specificly see FNM or QOTSA then I  do feel sorry. But how is that different from those who might have bought original tickets to see Billie or Taylor or bought tickets later to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Cardi B?

Line ups are going to change, thats just the way things are these days. At the moment we are expecting  1 or 2 headline changes. So far Comms are super poor but the upside, is that they have not said there are no replacement or bumped anyone up. I seem to remember Royal Blood were a headliner at one point and Pixies & Placebo were supports. I  am willing to see what happens in the coming weeks. 

I still can't believe how many big bands are on the line-up for the price. Although, a little miffed they moved Sam Fender from day 1 to the Sunday. 

As it stands we dont know that there are no replacement headline acts.

If they only sold 4 or 5 day tickets there might be a bit more leeway for not naming 2 of the 3 Friday headliners. 

But Friday tickets sold individually are a thing so they have a responsibility to keep ticket holders up to date when 2/3 headliners have pulled.

It might be they are waiting for exclusivity deals to expire, there might be embargo’s preventing replacements being named but ffs put out a holding message. 

They don’t have to give any stupid clues. Just get QOTSA and FNM off the lineups they still have on and tell us replacements will be named soon. 

Yeah, fully agree they could and should state their intention to find replacements if they intend to. Hopefully, they will sort something soon.

For those going to or who follow Primavera, what have they done or communicated about Massive Attack? Have they named their replacement? I was just wondering if they had handled that situation better. I have not followed whats going on at Primavera but does that not start in 2 weeks and I have not heard of any big iconic replacement for them.

9 minutes ago, Dales said:

Yeah, fully agree they could and should state their intention to find replacements if they intend to. Hopefully, they will sort something soon.

For those going to or who follow Primavera, what have they done or communicated about Massive Attack? Have they named their replacement? I was just wondering if they had handled that situation better. I have not followed whats going on at Primavera but does that not start in 2 weeks and I have not heard of any big iconic replacement for them.

No replacement for Massive Attack at Primavera. They haven’t directly addressed it - just sent out a blanket statement saying they had a few unavoidable drop outs, some of which they weren’t able to replace, basically. Huge bummer, especially as they’re usually on the ball with replacements, but guess it is what it is.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

No replacement for Massive Attack at Primavera. They haven’t directly addressed it - just sent out a blanket statement saying they had a few unavoidable drop outs, some of which they weren’t able to replace, basically. Huge bummer, especially as they’re usually on the ball with replacements, but guess it is what it is.

Massive Attack pulled out of Primavera at the end of March so it’s understandable that it’s tricky to fill the space at that point.

FNM cancelled MC in December 2021, and QOTSA were pulled from their other July dates in January. 

18 minutes ago, Prophet of Doom said:

Massive Attack pulled out of Primavera at the end of March so it’s understandable that it’s tricky to fill the space at that point.

FNM cancelled MC in December 2021, and QOTSA were pulled from their other July dates in January. 

Why make excuses for Primavera? 

Mad Cool has not said they are not replacing the headliners. They also have more time on there side to do it, if they plan to.

In my mind Massive Attack not been at Primavera is a bigger blow then Faith No More not being at Madcool. In any case we dont know if either festival is certainly not sorting replacements. Although, Primavera seem to be running out of time.

I don't know what goes on in the minds of the Madcool team but they do seem to get a kicking when other festivalsshort comings get glossed over. 

1 hour ago, Dales said:

Why make excuses for Primavera? 

Mad Cool has not said they are not replacing the headliners. They also have more time on there side to do it, if they plan to.

In my mind Massive Attack not been at Primavera is a bigger blow then Faith No More not being at Madcool. In any case we dont know if either festival is certainly not sorting replacements. Although, Primavera seem to be running out of time.

I don't know what goes on in the minds of the Madcool team but they do seem to get a kicking when other festivalsshort comings get glossed over. 

Mad Cool have said they're "working on it", but the nearer it gets, the trickier it must be.

If I had a festival I'd just have Cardi B on a retainer. No-one expects her to actually play, so she could just get paid to sit on the poster for a while and then pull out at the last minute.

I guess we will know in 6 or 7 weeks time but would be nice to resolve one way ora nother before then.

I suppose, I am one of the lucky ones who really ain't bothered what they do about it. Although, I would  be well miffed if I had bought a day ticket for the headliners.

Pre-pandemic, I would buy a festival ticket just to see a headliner but not anymore as its far to easy for acts to pull out and I think festivals know they can probably get away with not replaceing like for like or down-grading the act. Although, down grading is subjective.

Secretly hoping for NIN or Biffy but not that confident.

I think you might be right, its going to be Cardi B with the obvious result.

17 minutes ago, bluenova said:

Mad Cool have said they're "working on it", but the nearer it gets, the trickier it must be.

If I had a festival I'd just have Cardi B on a retainer. No-one expects her to actually play, so she could just get paid to sit on the poster for a while and then pull out at the last minute.

On a slightly different note, did anyone use the free shuttle bus from Plaza De Castilla last time? how often did it go if you remember?

Was the Metro do-able after or was it more of a taxi job?

Just trying to work out if we are staying in the right area!

15 hours ago, Dales said:

People already answered but Primavera sent out a wall of text about how hard it had to been to get anyone in last minute basically. They ultimately bumped Charli XCX and M.I.A up to headliners in each week but didn't actually say it.

12 hours ago, bluenova said:

The message that ‘they’re working on it’ was on the 10th December 2021 after FNM cancelled. They haven’t put out out any other official messages this year. 

In fact they haven’t even officially confirmed QOTSA are not playing and still have both QOTSA and FNM on their pinned lineup. They even responded to an email from one punter saying ‘they haven’t been informed they aren’t playing’ ! You couldn’t make it up. 

8 minutes ago, Prophet of Doom said:

The message that ‘they’re working on it’ was on the 10th December 2021 after FNM cancelled. They haven’t put out out any other official messages this year. 

In fact they haven’t even officially confirmed QOTSA are not playing and still have both QOTSA and FNM on their pinned lineup. They even responded to an email from one punter saying ‘they haven’t been informed they aren’t playing’ ! You couldn’t make it up. 

Sure they just forgot to look in the spam folder for the cancellation email from QOTSA.

14 hours ago, Prophet of Doom said:

Mad cool have released a statement saying that FNM will not be there. Also i believe that someone on here posted a comment from Mad cool stating QOTSA have not informed them that they aren't playing. That could be BS or could be true.

Some part of me hopes QOTSA turn up - not because i want to see them but just so i can come on here after the festival and laugh at everyone getting their knickers in a twist 

• Upvote 2