Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

2 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

You got a link to that interview? Would be much appreciated.

"Mais le second week-end, dévoilé ce jeudi, est plus fort. Outre Metallica et Scorpions, le Hellfest accueillera pour la première fois Nine Inch Nails pour une date unique en Europe, accompagné des légendes de la musique industrielle Ministry et Skinny Puppy, mais aussi Guns N’Roses, Alice Cooper, Nightwish, Whitesnake. Seuls trois groupes joueront sur les deux week-ends, Megadeth, Killing Joke et Airbourne."

I can't find the very first interview I saw, when he said it. But you can have the news on many websites actually :

https://www.leparisien.fr/culture-loisirs/en-2022-le-hellfest-durera-7-jours-et-accueillera-metallica-17-06-2021-UV5B5APCONCKZOG77HK7Z4EBUM.php

https://www.bfmtv.com/people/musique/hellfest-metallica-et-une-double-edition-en-2022_AD-202106170539.html

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Interesting to read, though I wonder whether all these websites are just quoting one source that may or may not be accurate. Note that in the interview with the Hellfest boss, it's not attributed to him directly that NIN is an exclusive.

As stated before, this is almost definitely taken from a press release sent to media partners. Really no sense in questioning this. And a festival like Hellfest will insist on the exclusivity. 

14 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

As stated before, this is almost definitely taken from a press release sent to media partners. Really no sense in questioning this. And a festival like Hellfest will insist on the exclusivity. 

I fully understand NIN for going Hellfest exclusive. They've always had problems when touring festivals in Europe... Reading didn't allow for all their production on stage, Pukkelpop and some other fests placed them very strange in the line up (subbing for Eminem comes to mind). Last time NIN were in Europe, the shows were very stripped down in terms of production and I believe this is the reason they played few festivals... including Mad Cool.  

If Hellfest offer them to curate the stage line up and agree to all production requirements, it's just a matter of an additional fee for Trent & Atticus to happily discard all other festivals in Europe. 

I still believe they'll have some dedicated headline shows in 2022 though. Not sure from where the 2023 tour rumor is coming from.  Still we will not have info for any of those before the Hellfest tickets go on sale.

Edited by r55N

1 hour ago, r55N said:

I fully understand NIN for going Hellfest exclusive. They've always had problems when touring festivals in Europe... Reading didn't allow for all their production on stage, Pukkelpop and some other fests placed them very strange in the line up (subbing for Eminem comes to head). Last time NIN were in Europe, the shows were very stripped down in terms of production and I believe this is the reason they played few festivals... including Mad Cool.  

If Hellfest offer them to curate the stage line up and agree to all production requirements, it's just a matter of an additional fee for Trent & Atticus to happily discard all other festivals in Europe. 

I still believe they'll have some dedicated headline shows in 2022 though. Not sure from where the 2023 tour rumor is coming from.  Still we will not have info for any of those before the Hellfest tickets go on sale.

NIN were a strong rumour for the inaugural edition of Primavera L.A., which is probably not happening in 2021 so I guess they are playing that in 2022 and Europe in 2023. The 2023 is courtesy of Ken19 who just knows things so what he says is mostly reliable.

3 hours ago, r55N said:

I fully understand NIN for going Hellfest exclusive. They've always had problems when touring festivals in Europe... Reading didn't allow for all their production on stage, Pukkelpop and some other fests placed them very strange in the line up (subbing for Eminem comes to mind). Last time NIN were in Europe, the shows were very stripped down in terms of production and I believe this is the reason they played few festivals... including Mad Cool.  

In the past, the agent of NIN was very focused on the highest spot possible on the line up. So Pukkelpop was a huge miscasting (in 2007 on the opposite site, that was the perfect night, first NIN, Tool after them), but because of 2007 i think they give it a go. 

Now, they know better. NIN in the Werchter Barn was a perfect example. Never seem them so satisfied until then after a show backstage. And i have seen Trent a couple times angry already :-) (who doesn't). 

Most of the bands are changing their minds (the experience, younger bands with succes are more difficult to handle). Not the only thing that matters is the highest spot possible, but the best spot on the line up, where they can show themselves. An artist has the last word on which stage they want to play. And it is a common thing that we have to tell them, that a tenth stage is better for them (and yes, most of the time they, if they are convinced about a tentshow, want the barn, because it is the biggest tenth, and again convincing). Or a closing show on The Slope. 

Interpol Werchter 2007 was a nice example. They desperately wanted to play the main stage but never checked the info Werchter gave them (you are playing on the Metallica day, with some rock acts). Ow, that is a lot of metalbands? And they were not happy. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

In the past, the agent of NIN was very focused on the highest spot possible on the line up. So Pukkelpop was a huge miscasting (in 2007 on the opposite site, that was the perfect night, first NIN, Tool after them), but because of 2007 i think they give it a go. 

Now, they know better. NIN in the Werchter Barn was a perfect example. Never seem them so satisfied until then after a show backstage. And i have seen Trent a couple times angry already :-) (who doesn't). 

Most of the bands are changing their minds (the experience, younger bands with succes are more difficult to handle). Not the only thing that matters is the highest spot possible, but the best spot on the line up, where they can show themselves. An artist has the last word on which stage they want to play. And it is a common thing that we have to tell them, that a tenth stage is better for them (and yes, most of the time they, if they are convinced about a tentshow, want the barn, because it is the biggest tenth, and again convincing). Or a closing show on The Slope. 

Interpol Werchter 2007 was a nice example. They desperately wanted to play the main stage but never checked the info Werchter gave them (you are playing on the Metallica day, with some rock acts). Ow, that is a lot of metalbands? And they were not happy. 

Werchter 2009 springs to mind too, with NiN playing before Metallica. It was horrible. Not because of NiN, who were actually very passionate (Trent sweating like an ox), but my god was that Metallica crowd tame and indifferent. I can remember it actually made me angry. And in this case it was 2 big 'harder' bands following each other. Such a shame. 

Edited by lighthouse

9 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Werchter 2009 springs to mind too, with NiN playing before Metallica. It was horrible. Not because of NiN, who were actually very passionate (Trent sweating like an ox), but my god was that Metallica crowd tame and indifferent. I can remember it actually made me angry. And in this case it was 2 big 'harder' bands following each other. Such a shame. 

Playing before Metallica is always a special situation. In 2005 it worked perfectly fine with NIN before Rammstein. 

Curious who is going to play before Metallica this year. Not every band is waiting for this opportunity 😅

26 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I saw NIN at Rock am ring 2014 right after Queens of the Stone Age on the second stage quite late at night. Pretty good gig, but the audience was just lame. Had the impression they weren't really happy with the turnout. 

I choose Rock im Park this year and it was absolutely the same.
I was just coming from 4 back-to-back arena shows in the UK and the difference in quality and band enjoyment was obvious.  In 2014 they had only two festivals I believe... RaR/RiP and Primavera.

Despite still being relatively big NIN haven’t really transcended the current music scene very much and so I feel like they’re often shrugged off at major festivals with younger crowds. Seems like Trent being notably pissed off during their big festival slots, especially if they’re on before somebody and the crowd is waiting for them, is a fairly common thing. Think they’re a band who fair much better at slightly smaller and/or more indie/alt leaning festivals rather than ones that have stuff like RHCP playing right after them. Which is a shame, because they’re such a good live band. 

5 hours ago, r55N said:

Last time NIN were in Europe, the shows were very stripped down in terms of production and I believe this is the reason they played few festivals... including Mad Cool.  

The entire 2017/2018 tour was stripped down, even in the USA. Was a deliberate artistic choice.

5 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Playing before Metallica is always a special situation. In 2005 it worked perfectly fine with NIN before Rammstein. 

Curious who is going to play before Metallica this year. Not every band is waiting for this opportunity 😅

@Ken19Can you tell us something about the Volbeat situation in 2022?

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Oh wow, they’ve not even opened up the refund window yet? That’s pretty wild.

It opens 7 July for two weeks, so expect them to do a limited release shortly after 21 July. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:28 AM, Quadrophobia said:

NIN were a strong rumour for the inaugural edition of Primavera L.A., which is probably not happening in 2021 so I guess they are playing that in 2022 and Europe in 2023. The 2023 is courtesy of Ken19 who just knows things so what he says is mostly reliable.

I think the strong rumor for primavera la came from the fact that NIN sold the tour merch that had the dates on it which included the festival. And I mean, trent said it himself

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

I think the strong rumor for primavera la came from the fact that NIN sold the tour merch that had the dates on it which included the festival. And I mean, trent said it himself

Yeah so thats even more than a "strong rumour" then 😄
I'd say its very likely they do PS LA in 2022 and PS BCN (possibly Porto too) in 2023