Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

14 minutes ago, Dales said:

Very good points and yes I do see what you mean. The thing is how/who do you replace Billie & Taylor with? They are both iconic in their own way and Billie playing was a big draw for my partner. Clearly they have not gone for a like for like swap but how could you? Surely all they have done is try to book the biggest acts available at that time next year.

I also wish they had kept the likes of Haim, Glass Animals and others like Sam Fender but feel they have tried to keep as much as they could.

I await the last 3 headliners with interest but feel it will be poor if they do not release them before the refund process as clearly the lineup at the top end has changed dramatically to the one people bought tickets for.

Well we know they lost out on the available Dua Lipa and Lorde. I'm not vouching for the quality of, nor do we know the availability of, but Cardi B, Rosalia, Travis Scott etc all add something a bit different. Variety is the spice of life 🙂

51 minutes ago, qz3 said:

So what festival represents "actual music"? Most of the big European festivals have headliners from the 90s. There plenty of newer and younger bands on Mad Cool, but they need strong names to sell tickets. 

Well, Glastonbury is obviously the closest of all the major festivals. PS as well.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

This year, or on average? This year there's a lovely mix of old and new. Lorde/Massive Attack/The Strokes is literally 90s/00s/10s in one day! 😀

Metallica-21Pilots-Placebo is kinda the same age wise

Edited by Nicklord

24 minutes ago, qz3 said:

Hm, most PS headlinears also from 90/00s

Don't get why there's always the comparision between Mad Cool and Primavera, but Dua Lipa, Lorde, Jorja Smith, Megan Thee Stallion, Tyler, the Creator, Tame Impala are not 90/00s...

Love the Mad Cool undercard though. If Germany had a festival like this, I'd be there every year

Edited by MrTobs

7 minutes ago, qz3 said:

2022 edition. I think that Mad Cool also will add to headliners some newer artist, Billie Eilish etc, and it will be look the same. 

The difference though is the "older" headliners on the PS bill are still headliners who don't pop up year in, year out. Massive Attack and Pavement are far more interesting bookings than Metallica and Muse. I like all of those bands, so it's not about who I like/dislike. I get the pressure to sell tickets is bigger than putting out the most interesting lineup, but PS just put out a really fresh lineup AND sold it out. 

It's hard to compare too much though since the festivals are a month apart, and availability will play a bit part in who Mad Cool can/cannot book. As you say, it'll hopefully look better when you add the three TBA headliners. Hopefully there's still a chance Taylor still appears, and Billie.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jparx said:

The difference though is the "older" headliners on the PS bill are still headliners who don't pop up year in, year out. Massive Attack and Pavement are far more interesting bookings than Metallica and Muse. I like all of those bands, so it's not about who I like/dislike. I get the pressure to sell tickets is bigger than putting out the most interesting lineup, but PS just put out a really fresh lineup AND sold it out. 

It's hard to compare too much though since the festivals are a month apart, and availability will play a bit part in who Mad Cool can/cannot book. As you say, it'll hopefully look better when you add the three TBA headliners. Hopefully there's still a chance Taylor still appears, and Billie.

Pavement are a little different. Massive Attack do pop up more, and were lower down the bill when they (didn't) play Mad Cool. 

I prefer the Primavera line up, but have friends who are much more excited about Mad Cool. Metallica, Muse and The Killers are all stadium bands in the UK, whereas only a few of the top line Primavera bands are at arena level with most being the level below that.

People who go to or have been to Mad Cool, where do people normally stay? Seems kind of out of the city quite a bit but I don't know Madrid so do people stay centrally or on the outskirts somewhere? Is there a sort of area of Madrid that people try and stay?

Just now, thelemon said:

People who go to or have been to Mad Cool, where do people normally stay? Seems kind of out of the city quite a bit but I don't know Madrid so do people stay centrally or on the outskirts somewhere? Is there a sort of area of Madrid that people try and stay?

The problem is that the new location of the festival has not been announced yet, so is imposible to know which will be the better área to stay in Madrid.

2 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

The problem is that the new location of the festival has not been announced yet, so is imposible to know which will be the better área to stay in Madrid.

ah ok fair enough I looked it on google and it said it was in an area called Valdebebas, which seemed to be quite far from the city centre

9 minutes ago, thelemon said:

ah ok fair enough I looked it on google and it said it was in an area called Valdebebas, which seemed to be quite far from the city centre

Valdebebas was its location in 2018 and 2019, but I think that this site won't be available anymore. Let's wait for official information about it...

6 hours ago, jparx said:

Pavement are not a proper headliner, they would not headline any other big festival apart from primavera. 

Regarding the lack of female artists...

I mean, most of the major festivals are still mainly focused on rock music which isn't that much known for it's high percentage of female artists and you can not place any pop singer on an festival (e.g. Dua Lipa wouldn't be suitable for Rock am Ring or Download).

So it would be helpful if some of these ladies who were indeed booked for european festivals would actually show up on stage!

Taylor Swift? No rescheduled dates for Europe yet

Bilie Eilish? Wants to do her solo shows instead of festivals

Lana del Rey? Doesn't seem to have any interest in touring at all

Lizzo? Focussing on the US like Taylor

Cardi B? Unreliable, cancels shows for "no reason"

Florence + the Machine/The xx? No new material and no upcoming dates

If the organizers would like to give those artists a stage but they refuse to come back.....what would you do?

51 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Regarding the lack of female artists...

I mean, most of the major festivals are still mainly focused on rock music which isn't that much known for it's high percentage of female artists and you can not place any pop singer on an festival (e.g. Dua Lipa wouldn't be suitable for Rock am Ring or Download).

So it would be helpful if some of these ladies who were indeed booked for european festivals would actually show up on stage!

Taylor Swift? No rescheduled dates for Europe yet

Bilie Eilish? Wants to do her solo shows instead of festivals

Lana del Rey? Doesn't seem to have any interest in touring at all

Lizzo? Focussing on the US like Taylor

Cardi B? Unreliable, cancels shows for "no reason"

Florence + the Machine/The xx? No new material and no upcoming dates

If the organizers would like to give those artists a stage but they refuse to come back.....what would you do?

Yeah, I have to agree that it's not always possible for every festival.

Although, just scrolling through the older line-ups, I think Mad Cool never had a female headliner (and Rock am Ring not a single one since 2005), that's a bit strange.

Even though the headliners don't appeal to me in the same way that they did in past Mad Cool years, or Primavera 2022, it's impressive that they were able to put this together for less than 200€ for a 4-day ticket. Primavera was 245€ for a single weekend ticket and that's only 3 full days (plus the Ciutat gigs, but still). 

Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots are shite, though.

Edited by purplecowz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MrTobs said:

Don't get why there's always the comparision between Mad Cool and Primavera, but Dua Lipa, Lorde, Jorja Smith, Megan Thee Stallion, Tyler, the Creator, Tame Impala are not 90/00s...

I'm did not start this comparison 🙂  On the first PS 2022 weekend 7 headliners from 90/00s and 3 from 10s.

Personally, I'm happy, that there are will not be  Dua Lipa, Taylor, Lorde, etc. on Mad Cool 2022. Already saw Dua Lipa at Mad Cool and Lorde at Opener, don't understand hype for this artist, for me it's just regular background music in the shopping malls 🙂

46 minutes ago, qz3 said:

I'm did not start this comparison 🙂  On the first PS 2022 weekend 7 headliners from 90/00s and 3 from 10s.

Personally, I'm happy, that there are will not be  Dua Lipa, Taylor, Lorde, etc. on Mad Cool 2022. Already saw Dua Lipa at Mad Cool and Lorde at Opener, don't understand hype for this artist, for me it's just regular background music in the shopping malls 🙂

And the Mad Cool Line Up is playing on the Top40 Soft Rock Easy Listening Radio Station on the drive there 😄 
I used to not like pop music, but I've really grown to appreciate a nuanced line up that brings together different genres and influences. Although its what I grew up on, I can't stand the big-gesture capital-R-Rock music anymore that is all over European festivals. If one more band tells me to "get down on your knees" I'll fucking flip. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

And the Mad Cool Line Up is playing on the Top40 Soft Rock Easy Listening Radio Station on the drive there 😄 
I used to not like pop music, but I've really grown to appreciate a nuanced line up that brings together different genres and influences. Although its what I grew up on, I can't stand the big-gesture capital-R-Rock music anymore that is all over European festivals. If one more band tells me to "get down on your knees" I'll fucking flip. 

"Are you ready to raaaaawk?" - cringe 

58 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I agree and I think they key is - in the 90s and 00s, the "best" music was (mostly) coming from guitar bands. Now, that genre is so stale, very few new acts have risen to  the top so we're seeing those same old names being recycled over and over. Coupled with the interesting music coming from pop, hip hop, electronic genres. It's simply not a golden age for new headline level indie/rock/metal acts right now. 

There's some great indie acts out there, Wolf Alice being one, but for many reasons they aren't quite getting to that headline level. 

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

I used to not like pop music, but I've really grown to appreciate a nuanced line up that brings together different genres and influences.

I used to not like pop music, soft rock bands like Foals, that music was boring as hell for me, but time is changed, my interest in the music industry also brings me to new artists, and like you, I also prefer festival line-ups that including different genres. I like modern pop music, like Rhye, Chvrches, London Grammar, Tender, Aurora, etc, like electronic like Christian Loffler, HVOB or Kiasmos, HEALTH, rap music like clipping or RTJ, Also half of my playlist is modern metal and hardcore 🙂 Unfortunately there no will be so many artists like this on Mad Cool, but  i don't think that is a strategy, to put more rock bands on the line-up, and depends on artists availability also.

Im never be into Metallica, at 31yo feel to young for that, but prefer Metallica over Taylor, just happy with that fact, and im not from UK, Im from Eastern Europe, even bands like Muse rarely played here, so it will be nice to see them again after many years.

Edit: Listened to MC2022 playlist on Spotify, there so many pop artists and few rappers, unfortunately not interested for me.

Edited by qz3

49 minutes ago, jparx said:

I agree and I think they key is - in the 90s and 00s, the "best" music was (mostly) coming from guitar bands. Now, that genre is so stale, very few new acts have risen to  the top so we're seeing those same old names being recycled over and over. Coupled with the interesting music coming from pop, hip hop, electronic genres. It's simply not a golden age for new headline level indie/rock/metal acts right now. 

There's some great indie acts out there, Wolf Alice being one, but for many reasons they aren't quite getting to that headline level. 

The Strokes : 40 y.o / Arctic Monkeys : 35 y.o / Ghost : 40  / Nothing But Thieves : 25-30  / Greta Van Fleet : 25  / Biffy Clyro : 40  / BMTH : 35  / Architects : 30  / ...

Don't forget the Foo Fighters, RATM ou Greenday (50), Volbeat, AlterBridge or Slipknot (45) still here for 10-15 easy ...

Plus, many bands will appear in the next 10 years so don't worry, this genre is still alive 😉

• Upvote 1