Mad Cool Festival 2022

qz3

32 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

About Thursday — I think they recently rebooked Billie Eilish, but this time they really don’t want to risk the contract, as it’s easily recognisable if they have to unlock I, E or L. 

So, essentially we're getting a big reveal game which excludes most of the big additions (although if we believe Ken, they still managed to get into trouble). Have we reached peak Mad Cool?

Alongside last night's reveal they said "line up update, line up upgrade, News coming soon" which suggests they are going to announce someone/something separately from the game.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Metallica slot starred out now (like they've done with the Killers) until the full announcement.

Incidentally the leader on Instagram is now B, with M and R in contention, so one way or another they'll have to make a decision on revealing headliners.  Of course E would be the most useful letter generally but either people aren't working that out or MC are messing with scores.

9 minutes ago, WFD said:

Incidentally the leader on Instagram is now B, with M and R in contention, so one way or another they'll have to make a decision on revealing headliners.  Of course E would be the most useful letter generally but either people aren't working that out or MC are messing with scores.

We have two more days of letter revealings and the top contenders are B and Ñ. So no more Metallica hints. 

Either way I find this quite stupid. I understand that they are dealing with a supermassive band with a lot of ego and all of that but they are hinting just two letters of the name before the announcement. Only festival freaks in this and other forums know for sure it is Metallica and we actually knew since someone leaked it a year ago. 

I mean I don't doubt that MC marketing skills are purely suicidal, but this is not like the Arctic Monkeys obvious hint. 

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

What exactly have Mad Cool done that’s given the game away re: Metallica? Just the letter game making it obvious that it’s them, or did they explicitly reveal them as playing somewhere that I’m not seeing? 

Just the letter game.  On Friday when people were guessing acts on Instagram they were replying with emojis which made it look like they were confirming names but firstly as far as I can tell they didn't reply to any suggestion of Metallica, and secondly it looks like the names they were replying to aren't all playing anyway.

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

What exactly have Mad Cool done that’s given the game away re: Metallica? Just the letter game making it obvious that it’s them, or did they explicitly reveal them as playing somewhere that I’m not seeing? 

My understanding is that they are the first festival to give the game away that Metallica are touring - in advance to a likely date drop in the works.

Its not the end of the world but if they’ve been given a date later this week where they can actually start talking about it, it is a bit annoying if they start giving away too many hints and giving the game away.

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, Kusy said:

yeah, it's not the end of the world, but agents are pissed off when the leaks are roaming around 😄

seen the Cameron Crowe show "Roadies"?  It's something like that :))

"Pissed off" puts it mildly. Announcing an act first is a huge momentum for festivals and agents, because it has an element of surprise and exklusiveness. If Hellfest or RW wanted to come out with this, they'd have the momentum spoiled by Mad Cool. Such things actually cost them money. 

One of the reasons for the stellar sales of Primavera this year is that they came out with so many firsts. 

24 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

"Pissed off" puts it mildly. Announcing an act first is a huge momentum for festivals and agents, because it has an element of surprise and exklusiveness. If Hellfest or RW wanted to come out with this, they'd have the momentum spoiled by Mad Cool. Such things actually cost them money. 

One of the reasons for the stellar sales of Primavera this year is that they came out with so many firsts. 

very true - and also Metallica fans may fancy a trip to Spain to see them and purchase tickets to Mad Cool before gigs in their own countries are announced. Metallica also have fans which follow the band across Europe.

You'd think they'd have a giant whiteboard with embargoed names circled, underlined with big danger signs around them. Bizarre they keep making the same mistakes with this stuff.

Edited by jparx

The word is that Mad Cool was aware of the Hellfest leak. And they thought it was possible to tease them. They always want to be the first in line (now for sure, because of Primavera).  But the Hellfest leak was not the fault of Hellfest (an updated artwork is always available for agents and bands, in a rare occasion it comes in the wrong hands). 

Don’t forget mad cool is owned by a very large, well respected music group. They may be a relatively new festival but their owners have a lot of pull in this area. The bands will be signed into large contracts across multiple festivals worth a lot of a money. 

5 minutes ago, ThomasP said:

Don’t forget mad cool is owned by a very large, well respected music group. They may be a relatively new festival but their owners have a lot of pull in this area. The bands will be signed into large contracts across multiple festivals worth a lot of a money. 

Are they? I have heard Live Nation thrown around in terms of MC but never seen them officially connected. Also not mentioned on Live Nations website (though Rock am Ring/Rock im Park aren't either and theyre definetly Live Nation).

Edited by Quadrophobia

I think we'll be seeing a lot of festivals pushing for first-announcement clauses in future years, after seeing how fast Primavera sold. It probably means artists will be able to ask for more money from specific festivals.

The reality is that nearly every one of those Primavera artists will be doing the rounds at EU festivals (probably on quite similar lineups) but just getting the jump on everyone else has really made a difference in terms of pushing consumers across the line to buy tickets, particularly foreign and international visitors. It'll definitely have changed the way festivals want to announce in future.

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

I think we'll be seeing a lot of festivals pushing for first-announcement clauses in future years, after seeing how fast Primavera sold. It probably means artists will be able to ask for more money from specific festivals.

The reality is that nearly every one of those Primavera artists will be doing the rounds at EU festivals (probably on quite similar lineups) but just getting the jump on everyone else has really made a difference in terms of pushing consumers across the line to buy tickets, particularly foreign and international visitors. It'll definitely have changed the way festivals want to announce in future.

Coachella / Goldenvoice have this. Quite often if you’ve signed up for the Coachella, Primavera, APE, etc circuit Coach will have first dibs to announce you.