Weather tools required from you Weather Threaders!!

nban2010

Heya, quick favour from me. I am an avid Weather Thread fan across my 4 previous Glastos (and my 5th next year!). And i know some amazing long range sites and maps are used to project. I'm getting married in Sep (hopefully!) and want to use these, so was wondering if anyone could help me out please? Any tools, tips and guidance would be much appreciated!

41 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

The ram jam jar and sticky stick are available for hire.

unfortunately the well doesn’t travel and sadly Big Dog has not learnt the art of making himself known from beyond the grave. Unless those odd smells are not Pilton Digger after all....hmmmmmm

And don’t forget the big puddle at Mary’s gate.

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And don’t forget the big puddle at Mary’s gate.

The one that never dries up?

Local folklore states that if it ever completely dries up, the festival will be no more.

Edited by Ommadawn

12 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

The one that never dries up?

Local folklore states that if it ever completely dries up, the festival will be no more.

We’ve got two local trees that the folklore says if the branches ever meet the plague will return to the town so the council prunes it annually. (Hasn’t stopped Covid unfortunately)  Anyway I would recommend you Pilton locals keep that puddle topped up during any drought 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We’ve got two local trees that the folklore says if the branches ever meet the plague will return to the town so the council prunes it annually. (Hasn’t stopped Covid unfortunately)  Anyway I would recommend you Pilton locals keep that puddle topped up during any drought 

Watering can at the ready sir.

if it gets really really big, do we get a never ending festival?

As a qualified meteorologist (although not my current gig), my honest advice for the UK would be to trust very little more than 5 days out. Forecasting here is hard, even with supercomputers! 

That said, some indicators (such as +/- NAO) can give likelihood of the prevailing conditions a bit further out. That would likely be reasonably accurate for the average weather for the week, but for one day at one location it only takes tiny shifts to completely flip the forecast (e.g. moving a rain band forward a couple of hours, or a shower south by 10km). This final point is the same reason I tend to look at charts myself rather than using weather apps. 

If you're after good charts, I'd recommend wxcharts.com as a good free access point. That gives you a choice of models - ECWMF and UKMO tend to be best for the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JHad said:

As a qualified meteorologist (although not my current gig), my honest advice for the UK would be to trust very little more than 5 days out. Forecasting here is hard, even with supercomputers! 

That said, some indicators (such as +/- NAO) can give likelihood of the prevailing conditions a bit further out. That would likely be reasonably accurate for the average weather for the week, but for one day at one location it only takes tiny shifts to completely flip the forecast (e.g. moving a rain band forward a couple of hours, or a shower south by 10km). This final point is the same reason I tend to look at charts myself rather than using weather apps. 

If you're after good charts, I'd recommend wxcharts.com as a good free access point. That gives you a choice of models - ECWMF and UKMO tend to be best for the UK. 

When does this amazingly accurate super computer come on stream ? I think I read about it a year or so ago … and immediately thought of more accurate Glastonbury forecasts .. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

unfortunately the well doesn’t travel and sadly Big Dog has not learnt the art of making himself known from beyond the grave. Unless those odd smells are not Pilton Digger after all....hmmmmmm

Big Dog forever immortalised in flag form x

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Aw so sorry I must have missed this sad news. Big hugs! 

15 hours ago, JHad said:

Thanks a lot JHad - will try those out, but you're right, as proven constantly in the Weather Thread, everyone knows both everything and nothing in the run up! 

5 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just over a year ago. He was a stinky scrofferlous old man but ww wish we could have had more time.

I still find his hair and toys hidden around the house.

It's so hard losing them. They really do take some a huge part of your heart even when they are awkward sods like mine.