BRIT Awards 2021

Mattymooz

54 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

As I said before. Jack Whitehall gives off massive ‘well his dad is mates with the director so that’s why he got the job’ vibes. It looked like all the artists were just as bored of him as we were.

I mean, Whitehall's Dad is a TV producer but his on-stage persona has also sort of leaned into that. It's sort of what he's going for. It's not for me, to be honest, but I think he'd take your comments as a compliment!

2 hours ago, zico martin said:

I'm genuinely confused how Bruce Springsteen was shortlisted for album of the year but not Paul McCartney?  I mean obviously I didn't agree with most of the winners but am I missing something?

Bruce Springsteen was nominated for Best International Male. There's no award at the Brits that both lads would be in the same category for.

11 hours ago, amfy said:

Griff just showed how ridiculously over produced modern music is.

Thats a great little tune from a quirky artist but you hear that in the radio and they’ve just made her sound the same as everyone else.

Funnily enough, Griff's USP is that she's a producer herself. Every interview I've heard focuses on how she's one of the few women doing it.

Whitehall's been going deeper and deeper into that caricature over time to the point where it's stopped being remotely amusing. Nothing intrinsically wrong with a posh boy comic persona / character but he's massively overplayed it. Any material is now a distant to the foppish twat schtick.

5 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Jack Whitehall looks terrified the whole time, I don't know if that's part of this shtick or what but it was quit offputting.

He's very bad when they need him to fill time. There was an incredibly awkward bit after Harry Styles got off stage and they went over to him and Haim. It was as if Sam from Quantum Leap had just found himself in the Jack Whitehall body and didn't even have the wherewithal to say oh boy.

8 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Funnily enough, Griff's USP is that she's a producer herself. Every interview I've heard focuses on how she's one of the few women doing it.

I didn’t know that.

Does she produce her own stuff and actually manage to produce all of the originality out of herself? That’s quite a talent!

11 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

In the 90’s we had Jarvis Cocker waving his arse in front of Jacko, Chumbawamba throwing a bucket of ice over John Prescott, KLF with a machine gun, Oasis v Blur....

What we get in 2021 Jack bloody Whitehall

Christ yeah, and now what the fuck we got instead. A set of industry sycophants.

22 hours ago, amfy said:

I didn’t know that.

Does she produce her own stuff and actually manage to produce all of the originality out of herself? That’s quite a talent!

I have no idea where the truth stops and the marketing begins. Might be like these singer-songwriters you get now, where 8 people that weren't them wrote the actual song.

4 hours ago, Padjeq said:

I have no idea where the truth stops and the marketing begins. Might be like these singer-songwriters you get now, where 8 people that weren't them wrote the actual song.

I’m not doubting you, it’s just a source of endless amazement to me in current popular music that when you listen hard, you can hear originality, and decent tunes, but it is all smoothed out so that it’s impossible to distinguish anything interesting. If she produced it herself, that would be .......I don’t even know....ironic or something? .....but believable with the way things are.

22 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Reminds me of an interview where Lauren from Chvrches said she grew up inspired by Avril Lavigne as she was sold as a young singer/songwriter who did things her way but was then raging when she found out it was all manufactured and she was sold lies. 

On 5/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, amfy said:

I’m not doubting you, it’s just a source of endless amazement to me in current popular music that when you listen hard, you can hear originality, and decent tunes, but it is all smoothed out so that it’s impossible to distinguish anything interesting. If she produced it herself, that would be .......I don’t even know....ironic or something? .....but believable with the way things are.

I totally understand. Every label wants the next Billie Eilish, and yet they're completely afraid of letting one happen. I think we'll look back on this as the era of algorithm pop.

18 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Reminds me of an interview where Lauren from Chvrches said she grew up inspired by Avril Lavigne as she was sold as a young singer/songwriter who did things her way but was then raging when she found out it was all manufactured and she was sold lies. 

Haha. I was a KERRANG reader at the time and they really had no idea what to do with her. I think they gave Sk8r Boi a 4 or 5 K review and then never covered her again. I loved her, but it was funny to be around for all that. They still played it in Snobs every week.

There's a lot of similar acts coming out of the US now. All instagram smoothface, with the look but nothing behind it other than Beverly Hills parents and a paid feature from Travis Barker. Everything's this sheeny pop-punk lite, but with no hit rate at all.