BRIT Awards 2021

Mattymooz

Just now, Tartan_Glasto said:

I always thought I was quite switched on to the current music scene but I have not heard of about half the acts nominated. 

** It was at this moment, he realised he was getting old....

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I always thought I was quite switched on to the current music scene but I have not heard of about half the acts nominated. 

Grime / UK hip hop has taken over very quickly.

I’m 24 and I literally haven’t got a clue who half of them are either. I picked Young T and Bugsy as my pick for British Group because the fact they were nominated was on BBC News this morning.

For reasons I don’t know I think they have it in the bag.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Then again this is how I feel watching the Brits these days...

DEB8E071-5DE6-42A4-B8EB-CF18F399C37B.jpeg

Wear it like a badge. Whenever I think I should ‘catch up’ on what’s trending, I soon retreat to the sanctuary of better music. 

I take comfort in the fact I listen to lots of new music by young people.

Just not that particular new music by those particular young people.

I also know that means that in a few years time I will be the Steve Buscemi meme. And that's fine.

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are you old? Or do you just not listen to Grime / UK hip hop.

I’m 24 and I haven’t heard half the songs in the list.

Define "old"... I turn 40 at the end of the year (which when I was 24 felt positively ancient) and it would be fair to say I've gotten a little more conservative in my music taste over the last few years. The demands of work and a young family mean I don't have as much time to seek out new music so I tend to stick to my comfort zone of guitar bands, stuff from when I was younger and artists from other genres who I already like (Kendrick, LDR,  Solange, etc).

The stuff the kids listen to these days isn't for me, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

BRIT Awards should pander to older people bc younger generation doesn’t watch TV or care who Dermot O’Leary is.

Give Ultra Mono best British album for the old lads.

Kids today are more interested in their tamagotchis and Stretch Armstrongs to go to Our Price and buy a Pulp single on two different formats in the hope of some good b-sides.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm sat typing this with The White Stripes' Greatest Hits vinyl playing in the background. I probably could check out some of the names I've never heard on these lists, but I'm pretty sure I won't like any of them.

Comfort zoning.  

Not sure how much comfort there is to be found in that