Download 2023

4 hours ago, kjvffm said:

The WORST thing for me was people bringing their chairs into the arena

I brought my chair into the arena on Sunday only as my feet and back were knackered by then. Every single time I made such a conscious effort to make sure I placed it in a sensible place and never went to the front section of the stages. Seems a lot of people didn’t do that! I remember on Saturday someone running to Metallica near the front was faced with a row of about 10 chairs and instead of walking around he simply picked one up, chucked it to the side and passed through. Owner of the chair kicked off… can’t blame the lad for moving it though, was far to close to the front and to Metallica’s set starting to have a row of 10 chairs out. 

10 hours ago, FeverDream said:

I brought my chair into the arena on Sunday only as my feet and back were knackered by then. Every single time I made such a conscious effort to make sure I placed it in a sensible place and never went to the front section of the stages. Seems a lot of people didn’t do that! I remember on Saturday someone running to Metallica near the front was faced with a row of about 10 chairs and instead of walking around he simply picked one up, chucked it to the side and passed through. Owner of the chair kicked off… can’t blame the lad for moving it though, was far to close to the front and to Metallica’s set starting to have a row of 10 chairs out. 

The chairs ruin the Download experience, to actually take chair's into the pit section for Slipknot or Evanescence who should never have been on that stage was stupid. One mistake I made here was going to get food after Within Temptation but hungry etc

Best part is they start getting annoyed at you trying to get past to 'no space' when they are taking easily two spaces of people up. For me personally, 100% ban chair's unless you physically need them/have a DAS. 

48 minutes ago, northernangel said:

The chairs ruin the Download experience, to actually take chair's into the pit section for Slipknot or Evanescence who should never have been on that stage was stupid. One mistake I made here was going to get food after Within Temptation but hungry etc

Best part is they start getting annoyed at you trying to get past to 'no space' when they are taking easily two spaces of people up. For me personally, 100% ban chair's unless you physically need them/have a DAS. 

I think start off by banning them in the front section as with the gates (assuming they keep them for next year and it wasn’t just a ‘tallica/the fact it’s sold out requirement) it could so easily be enforced. Obviously wouldn’t solve the problem on the Opus but that needs a complete overhaul IMO. Far too small as we’ve all said.

4 hours ago, FeverDream said:

I think start off by banning them in the front section as with the gates (assuming they keep them for next year and it wasn’t just a ‘tallica/the fact it’s sold out requirement) it could so easily be enforced. Obviously wouldn’t solve the problem on the Opus but that needs a complete overhaul IMO. Far too small as we’ve all said.

The second stage of Download has never been big enough ot planned correctly. The space behind it is mentally bad in conjunction with the bar.

The worst part of the festival by far was letting people in to west car park without a blue/quiet/black camp option. Anything further put than that should have had to use north/east/south. South Car Park for quiet/Black camp is unacceptable on any level. In that heat, pure exhaustion and muscle ache.

Definitely swore a lot at chairs and people seated on chairs! At the IOW Fest they ban chairs in front of a certain point, I think just behind the sound desk, and I have also seen a steward tell people with about 8 linked chairs further back to leave a gap. It just needs a few signs on barriers and a warning about restrictions when you buy your ticket.

At the Opus stage for Ghost I was near the front next to four people with chairs who stood behind them when the band started - at least pack them up if you are going to stand for the last band!!! 

Other than that sort out the entry/exit arrangements, provide some shade/sheltered areas and book Rammstein and I'll be back next year.

• 3 weeks later...