Download 2023

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

He hasn’t gone radio silent, he’s on all the time. Why would he need to keep reiterating his info? He’s shared it, everyone’s read it. What more can he do?

Metallica are headlining two nights. BMTH are headlining another (confirmed to me personally by Matt from WSS a few weeks ago). 

He hasn't posted since July 3rd.

Yeah I know BMTH likely as you said. I'm just wondering if the double headliner thing was under negotiation rather than confirmed. If Rammstein are available then surely they get booked. I'm not saying it either way, just curious why it's been so long since he posted is all, plus the others who were attempting to drop hints have all gone quite too. 

4 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

He hasn't posted since July 3rd.

Yeah I know BMTH likely as you said. I'm just wondering if the double headliner thing was under negotiation rather than confirmed. If Rammstein are available then surely they get booked. I'm not saying it either way, just curious why it's been so long since he posted is all, plus the others who were attempting to drop hints have all gone quite too. 

I mean, if he's got nothing left to say, he's got nothing left to say, that's all. AFAIK he's the single person that's remotely trustworthy and most others are just guessing. Other than Andre speaking to Matt which is pretty reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I mean, if he's got nothing left to say, he's got nothing left to say, that's all. AFAIK he's the single person that's remotely trustworthy and most others are just guessing. Other than Andre speaking to Matt which is pretty reasonable. 

I just mean in general he hasn't posted though. Like looking at his search post history he was quite active in threads about tours and stuff and now nothing. But I guess we just have to wait and see. 

1 minute ago, Spiral_Low said:

I just mean in general he hasn't posted though. Like looking at his search post history he was quite active in threads about tours and stuff and now nothing. But I guess we just have to wait and see. 

Who knows what he's up to IRL? Not a real reason to suddenly distrust a guy who's been on the boards for years. I'd love 2x Metallica to be wrong but I've no reason to think it at this point

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Who knows what he's up to IRL? Not a real reason to suddenly distrust a guy who's been on the boards for years. I'd love 2x Metallica to be wrong but I've no reason to think it at this point

I'm not saying I distrust him. I'm just saying stuff changes. Like Pearl Jam were booked to play once and dropped out. And BMTH supposedly refused to sub Rammstein after being told they would headline. 

2 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I'm not saying I distrust him. I'm just saying stuff changes. Like Pearl Jam were booked to play once and dropped out. And BMTH supposedly refused to sub Rammstein after being told they would headline. 

I don’t buy the likes of Pearl Jam, Rage on their first reunion, Foo Fighters etc were ever actually booked. I reckon Copping enquired but never got them to sign on the dotted line. They seem to be quite bad at that sort of paperwork stuff as he gotten pissed bands like Faith No More and Lost Prophets when they were headlining were billed as exclusives but then showed up at other UK fests.

I was looking at old IOW line ups (which takes place around the same time as Download) and saw they have managed to get The Sex Pistols, Foo Fighters, The Who, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chilli Peppers to headline who are all names you would have thought would play Download instead since it’s a larger capacity fest.

45 minutes ago, jump said:

I don’t buy the likes of Pearl Jam, Rage on their first reunion, Foo Fighters etc were ever actually booked. I reckon Copping enquired but never got them to sign on the dotted line. They seem to be quite bad at that sort of paperwork stuff as he gotten pissed bands like Faith No More and Lost Prophets when they were headlining were billed as exclusives but then showed up at other UK fests.

I was looking at old IOW line ups (which takes place around the same time as Download) and saw they have managed to get The Sex Pistols, Foo Fighters, The Who, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chilli Peppers to headline who are all names you would have thought would play Download instead since it’s a larger capacity fest.

RATM played 2010? 

Pearl Jam was actually leaked by Vodafone and then pulled out. 

17 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

RATM played 2010? 

Pearl Jam was actually leaked by Vodafone and then pulled out. 

2010 was more luck with them coming over to do the Xmas no1 thing than something carefully planned, Rage were meant to play in 2008 when they first reunited along with some other big names (I think Foos were one?) but they pulled out to do R&L which is why they ended up with KISS, The Offspring and Lost Prophets that year, allegedly. There are often stories about how Download booked these big headline acts but then pulled out which is why the headliners often seem lacking but if a major fest backed by Live Nation keeps having bands break out of contracts on them then something is massively wrong if it's true.

Edited by jump

31 minutes ago, jump said:

2010 was more luck with them coming over to do the Xmas no1 thing than something carefully planned, Rage were meant to play in 2008 when they first reunited along with some other big names (I think Foos were one?) but they pulled out to do R&L which is why they ended up with KISS, The Offspring and Lost Prophets that year, allegedly. There are often stories about how Download booked these big headline acts but then pulled out which is why the headliners often seem lacking but if a major fest backed by Live Nation keeps having bands break out of contracts on them then something is massively wrong if it's true.

2008 I thought the problem was they were in the process of buying the new land for the current site therefore it was a bit thrown together. But I didn't know about those bands then fair enough. As for RATM in 2010 I dunno they did a few other dates too but yeah not many. 

16 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

2008 I thought the problem was they were in the process of buying the new land for the current site therefore it was a bit thrown together. But I didn't know about those bands then fair enough. As for RATM in 2010 I dunno they did a few other dates too but yeah not many. 

2008 was supposed to be Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine and Foo Fighters with Judas Priest, Offspring and Lostprophets subbing. Kiss were told to bugger off when they approached the festival. 

RATM went with the higher offer for two shows at R&L, Foos decided to do their own tour dates instead and Rammstein cancelled touring plans. That’s the reason Kiss were invited back & paid over the odds & the rest of the lineup was weak. It’s also the reason I think that Andy has settled with the likes of Kiss, Maiden, Leppard etc instead of trying harder to get Foos, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Green Day etc. as those acts get offers from other places and can fill their own stadium dates thus a lot harder to tie down. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I saw Ithaca last night in Nottingham.
I imagine they’ll be at download in some capacity. 
To be honest, I love the new album, but thought the singer’s clean vocals were rather patchy live. Far too quiet, hardly any power. Perhaps it was a bad day (they didn’t get a soundcheck).

Edited by JimMacVeigh

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

2008 was supposed to be Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine and Foo Fighters with Judas Priest, Offspring and Lostprophets subbing. Kiss were told to bugger off when they approached the festival. 

RATM went with the higher offer for two shows at R&L, Foos decided to do their own tour dates instead and Rammstein cancelled touring plans. That’s the reason Kiss were invited back & paid over the odds & the rest of the lineup was weak. It’s also the reason I think that Andy has settled with the likes of Kiss, Maiden, Leppard etc instead of trying harder to get Foos, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Green Day etc. as those acts get offers from other places and can fill their own stadium dates thus a lot harder to tie down. 

Ah right thanks for info! 

1 hour ago, JimMacVeigh said:

I saw Ithaca last night in Nottingham.
I imagine they’ll be at download in some capacity. 
To be honest, I love the new album, but thought the singer’s clean vocals were rather patchy live. Far too quiet, hardly any power. Perhaps it was a bad day (they didn’t get a soundcheck).

Ithaca new album insanely good, hopefully they get a good Download spot.

1 minute ago, jump said:

So Machine Head are doing a secret set at Bloodstock apparently, it looks like they are more likely to start playing festival again but it does make them more likely for Bloodstock than Download next year though.

Aye looks like them. Tbh I don't know why everyone thinks they wouldn't play festivals as touring with Amon Amarth and The Halo Effect clearly shows they've moved on since the evening with shows. 

17 minutes ago, jump said:

So Machine Head are doing a secret set at Bloodstock apparently, it looks like they are more likely to start playing festival again but it does make them more likely for Bloodstock than Download next year though.

Oh really? I thought it would be Amon Amarth. 
where’s the machine head info come from?

1 hour ago, jump said:

Apparently Machine Head said it on Facebook and then quickly deleted it.

Bloodstock crowd are lucky sods!

Well Chris Kontos said it..... he's not actually their official drummer but was doing a livestream with them (and obvs did the Burn My Eyes gigs too).

25 minutes ago, therefused said:

With no Rage at Reading/Leeds this year, does this open up a spot at Download for them next year?

They seem like a cursed booking atm.  

First time they got back together and announced R/L covid happened, now this. 

Edited by Xeph1995

22 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Machine Head are the secret band at Bloodstock. So can we put an end to those 'MaChIne HeAd DoNT dO FeStivALs' comments now. 

Them doing it now doesn't really make the years where they didn't do it invalid though. 

But yeah, good to see and please for the love of god can we have them heading 2nd with a huge show next year.