Download 2023

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Rammstein have stated they will be touring Europe in 2023. 

No UK/Ireland flag to be seen in their reveal mind. 

Belgium
Lithuania
Finland
Poland
France
Denmark
Slovakia
Switzerland
Netherlands
Portugal
Italy
Spain
Hungary
Austria
Germany

Wanted to check against the leak/rumoured tour that we heard about earlier in the year. Not sure it matches up (I'm pretty sure it was bogus anyway):

May 31 – Lisbon – Estadio Nacional Included 
Jun. 03 – Valladolid – Estadio Jose Zorrilla Included 
Jun. 05 – Madrid – Wanda Metropolitano Included 
Jun. 12 – Belfast – Ormeau Park Not included 
Jun. 16 – Glasgow – Hampden Park Not included 
Jun. 21 – London – Wembley Stadium Not included 
Jun. 25 – Paris – Stade de France Included 
Jun. 28 – Brussels – Stade Roi Baudouin Included 
Jun. 29 – Brussels – Stade Roi Baudouin Included 
Jul. 03 – Frankfurt – Deutsche Bank Park Included 
Jul. 07 – Berlin – Olympiastadion Included 
Jul. 08 – Berlin – Olympiastadion Included 
Jul. 13 – Warsaw – PGE Narodowy Included 
Jul. 19 – Munich – Olympiastadion Included 
Jul. 23 – Vienna – Ernst Happel Stadion Included 
Jul. 27 – Zurich – Stadion Letzigrund Included 
Jul. 30 – Milan – San Siro Included 
Aug. 10 – Budapest – Groupama Arena Included 
Aug. 17 – Athens – Olympic Stadium Not included 

Also not included are dates in: Lithuania, Finland, Denmark, Slovakia, Netherlands

23 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

No UK/Ireland flag to be seen in their reveal mind. 

Belgium
Lithuania
Finland
Poland
France
Denmark
Slovakia
Switzerland
Netherlands
Portugal
Italy
Spain
Hungary
Austria
Germany

Potentially requested by Download not to do it I would suspect. The fact they were rumoured to be in talks for Nova Rock too makes me think it's happening.

Also, not that I'm happy about it, many bands separate UK from Europe now when talking about tours.

I'm also really starting to wonder if Download are going double stage. Metallica x2, Slipknot and Rammstein headlining one stage. BMTH, Parkway Drive, Machine Head and Ghost other stage?

49 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Potentially requested by Download not to do it I would suspect. The fact they were rumoured to be in talks for Nova Rock too makes me think it's happening.

Also, not that I'm happy about it, many bands separate UK from Europe now when talking about tours.

I'm also really starting to wonder if Download are going double stage. Metallica x2, Slipknot and Rammstein headlining one stage. BMTH, Parkway Drive, Machine Head and Ghost other stage?

Too good and bad at the same time. BMTH shouldn't be fake headlining a rock/metal festival like they're doing with R+L and Ghost should be in the running for standard Download heads too. This just undermines them more - but it'd be great value for the punters too, so it's a weird mishmash of no. 

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Too good and bad at the same time. BMTH shouldn't be fake headlining a rock/metal festival like they're doing with R+L and Ghost should be in the running for standard Download heads too. This just undermines them more - but it'd be great value for the punters too, so it's a weird mishmash of no. 

I'd say fact they are doing it at R+L would make it more likely for Download tbh. 

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

I'd say fact they are doing it at R+L would make it more likely for Download tbh. 

Think the opposite personally, BMTH stick out like a store thumb at R+L now (as do Rage) compared to 95% of that bill so they work as "lower heads" like Biffy were last year. Good for the crossover audience but not a big draw. BMTH will have waaay more fans at Download and should be topping the bill. 

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Think the opposite personally, BMTH stick out like a store thumb at R+L now (as do Rage) compared to 95% of that bill so they work as "lower heads" like Biffy were last year. Good for the crossover audience but not a big draw. BMTH will have waaay more fans at Download and should be topping the bill. 

With respect (I mean that genuinely 🙂 ) you've been quite vocal about Download's need for new headliners. If they do double main and have 4 new ones inc BMTH closing out Main 2 then that's a massive step for them towards sorting out their headliner problem. I think you should take that win rather than quibbling about BMTH, who believe me have just as many haters at Download as they do fans. 

5 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

With respect (I mean that genuinely 🙂 ) you've been quite vocal about Download's need for new headliners. If they do double main and have 4 new ones inc BMTH closing out Main 2 then that's a massive step for them towards sorting out their headliner problem. I think you should take that win rather than quibbling about BMTH, who believe me have just as many haters at Download as they do fans. 

You're quite right, I do - but that's why I think they should be top of the bill and not relegated to a glorified 2nd stage head which is all they'd be. BMTH don't need that crutch/stepping stone, they're arena sellouts. 

Believe me as a ticket holder I would be over the moon with what you posted as it'd be fantastic value for money 😄 but it's way too ambitious I think

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

You're quite right, I do - but that's why I think they should be top of the bill and not relegated to a glorified 2nd stage head which is all they'd be. BMTH don't need that crutch/stepping stone, they're arena sellouts. 

Believe me as a ticket holder I would be over the moon with what you posted as it'd be fantastic value for money 😄 but it's way too ambitious I think

That's fair! 

In terms of ambition I dunno....If all those bands are available and doing European festivals (which they should be) then I think it's time Download adopt the European festival model of double stage. 

I'm in two minds about the double stages at Download.

They may as well have double stages since they don't let bands play during the headliners anyway and Download only seem to make some effort on the top half of the line up so more big spots means more effort however dual festivals like Hellfests have shit loads more stages so there's always something to see which Download doesn't have and with Download booking a lot of shit already plus some bands were only getting 25mins means I can imagine it could lead to long stretches with nothing worth seeing.

Basically Download books a lot of shit so I don't think dual main stages would fix that problem.

Not a fan of the double main stage, and for Reading I honestly think Dave and BMTH should've switched places, or at least Megan Thee Stallion and BMTH.

As for Download's "double main stage", the headliners I picked for "Main Stage 2" are bands that people think are ready to step up as headliners (Parkway Drive). Also System of a Down's there so it kinda gives the illusion that yes, this stage IS a main stage (I've seen people argue about SOAD's headline status as well). Then you got Misfits and Motley Crue who divide people on whether they'd headline or not, so I gave them a "headline" slot on the stage SOAD is.

Realistically though, MS2 are all glorified subs.

765784567.jpg

2 hours ago, jump said:

I'm in two minds about the double stages at Download.

They may as well have double stages since they don't let bands play during the headliners anyway and Download only seem to make some effort on the top half of the line up so more big spots means more effort however dual festivals like Hellfests have shit loads more stages so there's always something to see which Download doesn't have and with Download booking a lot of shit already plus some bands were only getting 25mins means I can imagine it could lead to long stretches with nothing worth seeing.

Basically Download books a lot of shit so I don't think dual main stages would fix that problem.

I reckon if Download did do dual main stages they have another tent. They'd probably stick 3rd stage up where second is atm, keep Dogtooth and add another smaller one. They actually used to have 5 anyway (the acoustic stage being 5th). 

All these fan made pics of the prospective line ups look great but I really hope Pantera aren’t going to be booked.

I’m of the age that I experienced them the first time around and I loved them but I don’t want to see them now without the Abbott bros and now we know what a racist pr*ck Phil is.

Yes there’s an argument to be made about the art versus the artist and separation but not in a live setting in my view, I don’t want to see that pr*ck get the adoration of x amount of thousands going apesh*t for the music. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

All these fan made pics of the prospective line ups look great but I really hope Pantera aren’t going to be booked.

I’m of the age that I experienced them the first time around and I loved them but I don’t want to see them now without the Abbott bros and now we know what a racist pr*ck Phil is.

Yes there’s an argument to be made about the art versus the artist and separation but not in a live setting in my view, I don’t want to see that pr*ck get the adoration of x amount of thousands going apesh*t for the music. 

1. It ain’t Pantera 

2. Fuck Phil 

3. Dem tunes doe 

Any confirmed acts yet? I’m considering going to this for the first time since 2015! Although would only be from Friday to Sunday as I work in a school (could still catch the Thursday headliner though as I only live half an hour away).

Also, when do people expect tickets to sell out by?

27 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Any confirmed acts yet? I’m considering going to this for the first time since 2015! Although would only be from Friday to Sunday as I work in a school (could still catch the Thursday headliner though as I only live half an hour away).

Download never sells out (to my knowledge). I wouldn’t expect it to sell out next year even with the whole 4 headliners across 4 days being the anniversary so you’ll be grand for getting tickets.

2 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Nothing actually confirmed, best info we have is BMTH with Architects sub, and Metallica playing twice. 

Tickets don't usually sell out but they have before - Metallica will be a massive draw if they play but at the same time tickets are already £310 on early bird and that's a big buy-in even for 4 days of music, so who knows. It won't sell out immediately if it does at least. 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Nothing actually confirmed, best info we have is BMTH with Architects sub, and Metallica playing twice. 

Tickets don't usually sell out but they have before - Metallica will be a massive draw if they play but at the same time tickets are already £310 on early bird and that's a big buy-in even for 4 days of music, so who knows. It won't sell out immediately if it does at least. 

Noticed how Lee and the other 'in the know' people have gone radio silent on the main forums though? Not saying that info was wrong at the time but I dunno about Metallica doing X2 anymore. BMTH obvs was mentioned by another band to someone on here so seem likely. I'm just wondering if that leak was actually before anything confirmed and they actually have 4 now and have gone super strict on making sure it doesn't get out. I mentioned before that a Slipknot roadie posted on FB about their being 4.

It's annoying as I actually know a guitar tech for one of the supposed bands playing I just haven't seen him since before Covid! And I don't think a random out the blue message on FB would be polite haha.

34 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Noticed how Lee and the other 'in the know' people have gone radio silent on the main forums though? Not saying that info was wrong at the time but I dunno about Metallica doing X2 anymore. BMTH obvs was mentioned by another band to someone on here so seem likely. I'm just wondering if that leak was actually before anything confirmed and they actually have 4 now and have gone super strict on making sure it doesn't get out. I mentioned before that a Slipknot roadie posted on FB about their being 4.

It's annoying as I actually know a guitar tech for one of the supposed bands playing I just haven't seen him since before Covid! And I don't think a random out the blue message on FB would be polite haha.

He hasn’t gone radio silent, he’s on all the time. Why would he need to keep reiterating his info? He’s shared it, everyone’s read it. What more can he do?

Metallica are headlining two nights. BMTH are headlining another (confirmed to me personally by Matt from WSS a few weeks ago).