Download 2023

1 hour ago, devilman said:

Apart from Rammstein who have just done a Stadium tour.

Fair point although they have only just started playing stadiums and two dates at smaller stadiums is way off them being in the same league as a Foo Fighters type stadium band.

Edited by jump

2 hours ago, jump said:

It’s all well and good thinking Download getting Foo Fighters, Green Day or whoever is the solution but the reality is Download either can’t afford them (apart from Guns n Roses I don’t think they have had a band that can do a stadium tour in the UK for a decade now) or they are just very shit at negotiating/convincing bands to play. 

Download is backup by Live Nation, they pulled in AC/DC. Live Nation is a massiver promoter!

They can definitely afford FF and Green Day and such like.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Download is backup by Live Nation, they pulled in AC/DC. Live Nation is a massiver promoter!

They can definitely afford FF and Green Day and such like.

You’re missing the point or only read half my post. For all the talk about only stadium headliners should headline Download there’s a lack of stadium headliners actually playing but still there is this expectation they should play resulting in these boring repeated headliners like Def Leppard who are grandfathered in despite not being stadium acts themselves. There’s a big need to move on from this idea of only stadium bands so more interesting acts can headline and be accepted.

I've seen some people suggest recent Bloodstock headliners as viable Download 2023 headliners. Kreator, Lamb Of God, Sabaton etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bloodstock a similar size to Slam Dunk? (tad bigger maybe).

I just can't see any band that's headlined Bloodstock headlining Download next year.

15 minutes ago, beetchez said:

I've seen some people suggest recent Bloodstock headliners as viable Download 2023 headliners. Kreator, Lamb Of God, Sabaton etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bloodstock a similar size to Slam Dunk? (tad bigger maybe).

I just can't see any band that's headlined Bloodstock headlining Download next year.

Always a chance a Blockstock headliner could appear somewhere on the Download lineup next year but no chance any of those will top the bill. 

2 hours ago, jump said:

You’re missing the point or only read half my post. For all the talk about only stadium headliners should headline Download there’s a lack of stadium headliners actually playing but still there is this expectation they should play resulting in these boring repeated headliners like Def Leppard who are grandfathered in despite not being stadium acts themselves. There’s a big need to move on from this idea of only stadium bands so more interesting acts can headline and be accepted.

There is no need for every Download headliner to be a stadium filler. Download isn't going to sell out regardless.

They have got to give other bands the chance. Andy books the festival as if Sonisphere is still a thing and Reading certainly isn't making a dent.

12 hours ago, beetchez said:

If I were in Copping's shoes I'd attempt to get at least one band that has never headlined, every year. Whether that be new "are they big enough" bands like BMTH/Ghost or bands like Green Day/Foo Fighters.

The other headliners could be the same ol' reliable dad rock as long as one day has a brand new headliner.

Download is not the only festival with headliner problems. Just look at the Rock am Ring and Nova Rock, pretty much always the same heads. I think Volbeat played 6 times on Nova Rock in last 10 years ffs

12 hours ago, jump said:

It’s all well and good thinking Download getting Foo Fighters, Green Day or whoever is the solution but the reality is Download either can’t afford them (apart from Guns n Roses I don’t think they have had a band that can do a stadium tour in the UK for a decade now) or they are just very shit at negotiating/convincing bands to play. 

If Nova Rock can afford Green Day and Foo Fighters, then Download for sure can. Maybe these acts don’t wanna play on Download or Andy just dont like them

1 hour ago, SweetJesus said:

If Nova Rock can afford Green Day and Foo Fighters, then Download for sure can. Maybe these acts don’t wanna play on Download or Andy just dont like them

I think it's cuz they can make a tonne more money doing their own UK shows instead.

Edited by Spiral_Low

9 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Always a chance a Blockstock headliner could appear somewhere on the Download lineup next year but no chance any of those will top the bill. 

If the weak headliner/strong sub rumour comes true then Parkway Drive would be a bloodstock headliner that could headline download (although they headlined Bloodstock a couple years ago). If you just mean this year, then I agree, Behemoth, LOG and Mercyful Fate couldn't headline Download.

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

There is no need for every Download headliner to be a stadium filler. Download isn't going to sell out regardless.

They have got to give other bands the chance. Andy books the festival as if Sonisphere is still a thing and Reading certainly isn't making a dent.

If Sonisphere was still a thing then Live Nation would be pouring money into Download to try and kill Soni off like they did last time.

The money for acts like Green Day and Foos is there, it's just that either Download doesn't want them which doesn't seem likely as Coping has expressed interest in these artists (and also claims they were close to getting Foo Fighters until Dave broke his leg but I don't buy that) or they don't want to do it. Look at Muse, they could have headline at any point from 2006 but only headlined in 2015 because they wanted to do heavier festivals for Drones. Also wasn't Pearl Jam booked one year but pulled out after they learnt it was a more metal festival?

Download just doesn't have the draw it thinks it does.

It won't happen but since Trent can't be arsed to play shows he's not excited about and NIN would sadly have the usual not big enough complaints to outright headline I'd love to see NIN headline the second stage with them curating their own day. Throwing in their contemporaries like Jane's Addiction or Filter, their influences like Ministry or Skinny Puppy and some newer arty alt rock he seems to like Yves Tumor or HMLTD would make a fucking awesome day.

24 minutes ago, Swansea93 said:

I think Alter Bridge need a 2nd stage headline slot instead of another sub slot

I'm inclined to think they won't be there, their tour is in December which is quite late for a band to do before a high spot at Download. Parkway Drives ends in October, Machine Heads UK dates in September, so both of them strong contenders I'd say. 

• Like 1