Download 2023

5 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

"weak headliner, strong undercard"

PANTERA REUNITED / Machine Head (very special guest) / Lamb Of God / Killswitch Engage / Jinjer / Soulfly / Malevolence

Machine Head and Lamb Of God both do not get along with Anselmo.......LOG even have a song about him....

Main stage sub if they were booked surely? Maybe once upon a time with one more original member they could’ve headlined upon reforming, but don’t see that happening now. 

Not hard to think that Phil must’ve been licking his lips at the prospect of being able to do this the moment Vinnie died, who I assumed was always the roadblock in it happening before, but y’know… I’m sure it’ll still be fun for what it is. Wonder if there will be any big name musicians taking the vacant slots. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Main stage sub if they were booked surely? Maybe once upon a time with one more original member they could’ve headlined upon reforming, but don’t see that happening now. 

Not hard to think that Phil must’ve been licking his lips at the prospect of being able to do this the moment Vinnie died, who I assumed was already the roadblock in it happening before, but y’know… I’m sure it’ll still be fun for what it is. Wonder if there will be any big name musicians taking the vacant slots. 

They’ve said that Zakk Wylde won’t be involved, oddly. Chris Adler on drums, maybe? 

7 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

"weak headliner, strong undercard"

PANTERA REUNITED / Machine Head (very special guest) / Lamb Of God / Killswitch Engage / Jinjer / Soulfly / Malevolence

Machine Head are not playing festivals. Or something changed in a meantime?

Not really a comparable situation to AC/DC at all. To most people the definitive line-up is Cliff, Phil, Angus, Malcom and either Bon or Brian and four of those are still in the band. They might have had a handful of bassists and drummers before this lineup was cemented but it's irrelevant really.  Similar with Iron Maiden. They only have two original members but the 'classic' line-up is clearly the one we have now unless you're one of those oddballs who only likes the first two albums.

Edited by TheSeventhOne

38 minutes ago, TheSeventhOne said:

Not really a comparable situation to AC/DC at all. To most people the definitive line-up is Cliff, Phil, Angus, Malcom and either Bon or Brian and four of those are still in the band. They might have had a handful of bassists and drummers before this lineup was cemented but it's irrelevant really.  Similar with Iron Maiden. They only have two original members but the 'classic' line-up is clearly the one we have now unless you're one of those oddballs who only likes the first two albums.

Also those bands gradually lost and replaced members whilst still functioning as active bands, unlike Pantera who split and then clearly had to wait for one of the unwilling guys to die before they could get the go ahead to reform. If COVID hadn’t happened I have no doubt this would’ve come even sooner after Vinnie dying. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Not hard to think that Phil must’ve been licking his lips at the prospect of being able to do this the moment Vinnie died, who I assumed was always the roadblock in it happening before, but y’know… I’m sure it’ll still be fun for what it is. Wonder if there will be any big name musicians taking the vacant slots. 

I'm not so sure even with Dimebag they would have headlined. This reunion is smaller than say Soundgarden who couldn't headline and as they are a band that appeal to a more niche (not the best word to describe them but it fits) metal fans in the UK their reunion buzz won't pick up as many temporary casuals fans the same way say Faith No More or Smashing Pumpkins did.

It's a bizarre thing trying to place them on a festival line up, second stage headliner would be best imo because of the trouble that is Phil and the questioning of the band's line up but that would still keep them feeling big.

Anyone reckon they will still be selling Confederate army merch at thier shows now? 

21 hours ago, BenG92 said:

It really would be hilarious if all this rumored info was bunk and it's like Parkway / SOAD / A7X / GNR 

Parkway are nowhere near download headline status even on a 4th day. BMTH would be much more likely. parkway might get 3/4th on main or headline/sub second stage at best. Still hearing it is rage against the machine not BMTH though

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm not so sure even with Dimebag they would have headlined. This reunion is smaller than say Soundgarden who couldn't headline and as they are a band that appeal to a more niche (not the best word to describe them but it fits) metal fans in the UK their reunion buzz won't pick up as many temporary casuals fans the same way say Faith No More or Smashing Pumpkins did.

It's a bizarre thing trying to place them on a festival line up, second stage headliner would be best imo because of the trouble that is Phil and the questioning of the band's line up but that would still keep them feeling big.

Anyone reckon they will still be selling Confederate army merch at thier shows now? 

Hmm maybe you’re right. They’ve always been a ‘big’ band in the metal scene to me but maybe that’s because they were fresh off splitting when I first got in to them and so have always seemed rather nostalgic, but I’m not sure how much their music has travelled through younger generations (apart from Walk being an entry point in to heavy music). Sub seems right to me though and considering this will almost definitely be about making some money I can’t imagine they’d take much smaller slots (unless Download just forked out the cash regardless of the slot). 

5 minutes ago, Jrose said:

Parkway are nowhere near download headline status even on a 4th day. BMTH would be much more likely. parkway might get 3/4th on main or headline/sub second stage at best. Still hearing it is rage against the machine not BMTH though

You're everything that is wrong with Download. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jrose said:

Parkway are a main stage sub or second stage headliner at this point imo, although considering how hilariously shit their recent music is maybe it would be best if they weren’t there at all. 

2 minutes ago, Jrose said:

parkway might get 3/4th on main

Respectfully that's absolute lunacy, they are main subs or second heads without hesitation, but are one of the bands in the running for a "small headliner" if there was need for one.

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hmm maybe you’re right. They’ve always been a ‘big’ band in the metal scene to me but maybe that’s because they were fresh off splitting when I first got in to them and so have always seemed rather nostalgic, but I’m not sure how much their music has travelled through younger generations (apart from Walk being an entry point in to heavy music). Sub seems right to me though and considering this will almost definitely be about making some money I can’t imagine they’d take much smaller slots (unless Download just forked out the cash regardless of the slot). 

Sub or second stage headliners are the only two spots I see them working as. I reckon Hellfest and some other Euro metal fests will have them headline though.

I'd equate it to Slayer's last shows, for me that would have been an one off "worthy" headline set as every metal fan would have come out to see them even if they aren't a massive Slayer fans but they were put on the second stage against Tool another rare chance to see someone for some donkey reason.