Download 2023

7 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Did he? I though what he said was most people had 3 nights correct....and given many were guessing Metallica X2, BMTH and Slipknot that can be interpreted 2 ways. Or something else I missed? 

He said: one band is doing two nights, BMTH with Architects below them and the fourth headliner he wasn’t sure of because it wasn’t made clear if the band booked for Sunday were headlining or subbing (and that they would be a strong sub but a weak headliner). 

Just now, Andre91 said:

He said: one band is doing two nights, BMTH with Architects below them and the fourth headliner he wasn’t sure of because it wasn’t made clear if the band booked for Sunday were headlining or subbing (and that they would be a strong sub but a weak headliner). 

Hmmmm fair enough.

Just now, BenG92 said:

Yeah what Andre said - the 2x can't realistically be anyone but Metallica and a lot of us are convinced 4th is Slipknot with Parkway subbing, pretty sure Lee said it was definitely not Ghost

Also, Metallica are supposedly doing Thurs & Sat and BMTH Friday. 

12 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah what Andre said - the 2x can't realistically be anyone but Metallica and a lot of us are convinced 4th is Slipknot with Parkway subbing, pretty sure Lee said it was definitely not Ghost

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Also, Metallica are supposedly doing Thurs & Sat and BMTH Friday. 

So looking through the official forums (I literally just remade an account a few hours ago), apart from Lee this chinstrap guy seems to be hinting it's Metallica - BMTH - Metallica - Knotfest I think? They any reliable? 

16 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

So looking through the official forums (I literally just remade an account a few hours ago), apart from Lee this chinstrap guy seems to be hinting it's Metallica - BMTH - Metallica - Knotfest I think? They any reliable? 

From what I know, I’m not aware of him having any previous track record (neither positive or negative). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

From what I know, I’m not aware of him having any previous track record (neither positive or negative). 

Hmmm I was just wondering as it matches up with what Lee was saying without being too copycattish. Guess we just have to wait and see. 

23 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Sure, but once they've offered to do it once, are Download really going to put them back on 1st or 2nd? Doubt they care about tent overcrowding much if they can get a band that big to play there and give the 2nd stage slot to someone else. I don't know the ins and outs of 2019 though. 

Yes because if punters are literally unable to get into see a band that was one of the deciding factors for them buying a ticket there going to be less inclined to turn up in future years when they realise they're playing the tent again. As mentioned Shikari were doing a tour of smaller venues than they'd normally play - hence the avalanche tent. If they come back high up on 2nd stage has to be where they go at least - they were playing against Slayer and Tool for a part of their set and the tent was still overcrowded with people packing in the grass down the side of it to try and watch. They might not have cared too much about tent overcrowding in 2019 but given a few high profile events in recent years they may well now.

17 hours ago, MyNameIsMud said:

Yeah that was frustrating, most bands in tents that year had a completely rammed crowd and its sad that they haven't upgraded the 4th stage like they said they would! The only way I could see a band like Shikari play the 3rd stage again is if they're a secret act.

Yup, would be insanity to but them on 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Yes because if punters are literally unable to get into see a band that was one of the deciding factors for them buying a ticket there going to be less inclined to turn up in future years when they realise they're playing the tent again. As mentioned Shikari were doing a tour of smaller venues than they'd normally play - hence the avalanche tent. If they come back high up on 2nd stage has to be where they go at least - they were playing against Slayer and Tool for a part of their set and the tent was still overcrowded with people packing in the grass down the side of it to try and watch. They might not have cared too much about tent overcrowding in 2019 but given a few high profile events in recent years they may well now.

I mean, Rock Werchter literally has guarded gates on the 2nd and 3rd stages that are closed before full capacity and it doesn't seem to hurt their sales annually at all - but that's really beside the point, I didn't know at the time they'd been doing the specifically small tour Andre mentioned above, I assumed Download had just made a great value (for them) 3rd stage head booking one year and wouldn't be inclined to bump them back up if they didn't have to.

As I said, would much rather see them given the space they deserve, their Slam Dunk headline packing out Millennium Square Leeds in 2017 was a knockout. 

1 hour ago, willgooneday said:

Really early announcement. Good thing or bad thing? 

Good thing. Andy's had them booked for ages, he's gonna be confident in his 20th anniversary booking. 

Get the news of Metallica / BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot out before the end of the month and let sales fly on those names alone for a long time. 

12 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Good thing. Andy's had them booked for ages, he's gonna be confident in his 20th anniversary booking. 

Get the news of Metallica / BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot out before the end of the month and let sales fly on those names alone for a long time. 

Yup....and to state the obvious, sooner tickets sell the sooner the money goes into their bank and starts earning interest. So if they feel confident with the line up then early announcement makes alot of sense.