Download 2023

9 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’m a huge Biffy fan and have seen them at least 10 times, but even I have to admit that ballads are not their strength.

The bands you mentioned all have better (imo of course) ballads than Biffy by far.

I accept that your point was in answer to someone who said that ballads don’t belong at a metal festival, which is clearly untrue, but I wanted to point out the differences between a Biffy ballad and the rest .

On the flipside to that, Biffy’s set is full of songs heavier than anything almost all of the dinosaurs have ever released. 

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They closed the festival with one of their biggest songs. A song that got one of the biggest reactions of the night, by the way. Not that you’d know because you don’t go to festivals, you just come on here and state that their lineups aren’t exactly to your tastes enough. 

Nothing Else Matters, Beth, I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing, Sweet Child O Mine. November Rain. All ballads. Master of Puppets, Aces High? What a stupid comparison, eh. 

Gazza did actually go for the day, I was amazed as he praised Alestom but called Korn boring.

Despite not being a metal fan Gazza was more up for Download than me in fairness, I looked at the clashfinder and said sod that as all the interesting bands were on at the same time which is what does my head in about Download.

12 minutes ago, jump said:

Gazza did actually go for the day, I was amazed as he praised Alestom but called Korn boring.

Despite not being a metal fan Gazza was more up for Download than me in fairness, I looked at the clashfinder and said sod that as all the interesting bands were on at the same time which is what does my head in about Download.

Say no more. 

21 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’m a huge Biffy fan and have seen them at least 10 times, but even I have to admit that ballads are not their strength.

The bands you mentioned all have better (imo of course) ballads than Biffy by far.

I accept that your point was in answer to someone who said that ballads don’t belong at a metal festival, which is clearly untrue, but I wanted to point out the differences between a Biffy ballad and the rest .

Me too, I may have seen them more than Linkin Park and I don't need to introduce my liking for them over the years. This is my point. 

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They closed the festival with one of their biggest songs. A song that got one of the biggest reactions of the night, by the way. Not that you’d know because you don’t go to festivals, you just come on here and state that their lineups aren’t exactly to your tastes enough. 

Nothing Else Matters, Beth, I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing, Sweet Child O Mine. November Rain. All ballads. Master of Puppets, Aces High? What a stupid comparison, eh. 

I went on the Sunday you idiot lol! I was also at a camping festival this weekend just gone. Yes I don't go to a festival for a weekend that isn't to my taste....shock horror. We aren't all stupid to believe that you should go to a festival that you don't want to lol.

One of the biggest reactions of the night in the smallest headliner crowd that a fair portion walked away from already. And did you just compare Many of Horror to Sweet Child O Mine and November rain?! They are rock ballads, not pop ballads!

There is one this in being bias sticking up for your band, there is another in just being silly.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

I did find Korn boring but I've never been a fan and just gave them a go whilst there as I've seen The Darkness before. I didn't like Alestorm that much tbh lol. And yes, I was very up for Sunday, it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be but I was pretty hyped.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Me too, I may have seen them more than Linkin Park and I don't need to introduce my liking for them over the years. This is my point. 

I went on the Sunday you idiot lol! I was also at a camping festival this weekend just gone. Yes I don't go to a festival for a weekend that isn't to my taste....shock horror. We aren't all stupid to believe that you should go to a festival that you don't want to lol.

One of the biggest reactions of the night in the smallest headliner crowd that a fair portion walked away from already. And did you just compare Many of Horror to Sweet Child O Mine and November rain?! They are rock ballads, not pop ballads!

There is one this in being bias sticking up for your band, there is another in just being silly.

I did find Korn boring but I've never been a fan and just gave them a go whilst there as I've seen The Darkness before. I didn't like Alestorm that much tbh lol. And yes, I was very up for Sunday, it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be but I was pretty hyped.

Many of Horror is a rock ballad. 

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You can't have it both ways and say Novemeber Rain is a rock ballad but Many Of Honor is pop balland. They are as poppy as each and both rather tame to other metal ballads like A Deathless Song by Parkway Drive or Cradle Of Filth's Nymphetamine

23 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Many of Horror isn't a pop song just because someone did a pop version of it, let's not be silly here, it's a rock ballad.

Also vice versa Sheryl Crow and Miley Cyrus have both done covers of Nothing Else Matters and Sweet Child Of Mine without Metallica and Guns n Roses suddenly becoming pop bands. 

I could understand if a black metal fan was calling Biffy pop but Gazza is lightweight when it comes to heavy music though.

Edited by jump

13 minutes ago, jump said:

Also vice versa Sheryl Crow and Miley Cyrus have both done covers of Nothing Else Matters and Sweet Child Of Mine without Metallica and Guns n Roses suddenly becoming pop bands. 

I could understand if a black metal fan was calling Biffy pop but Gazza is lightweight when it comes to heavy music though.

Bet he loves Watain. 

39 minutes ago, jump said:

You can't have it both ways and say Novemeber Rain is a rock ballad but Many Of Honor is pop balland. They are as poppy as each and both rather tame to other metal ballads like A Deathless Song by Parkway Drive or Cradle Of Filth's Nymphetamine

November Rain is so much class above though and they aren't finishing their set with it.

17 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah, I am to an extent. I like certain heavy music but I'm a lot more rock metal than actual metal really bar a few things. For actual headlining bands, I'm probably like SOAD, Sabbath and Slipknot for like full sets. Take Loudwire's 50 top metal abnds just for example, I'm bothered about 4/5 if we include the odd song I like and you'll work those out quite easy.

28 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

The logic in this thread baffles me, probs why I’ve not been to the fest in many a years with all the bull**** inherent rules attached to the logic in here.

With Download the rules are very easy, unless they were on the poster the previous year everyone can’t plays as they are a R&L type pop act or they haven’t proved themselves yet. The only exception is if they have played Monsters of Rock.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jump said:

With Download the rules are very easy, unless they were on the poster the previous year everyone can’t plays as they are a R&L type pop act or they have they haven’t proved themselves yet. The only exception is if they have played Monsters of Rock.

Growing up as a metal fan the philosophy to me was always not giving a **** and doing what you want yet that philosophy these days seems to be more at home in the pop world rather than metal.

13 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Growing up as a metal fan the philosophy to me was always not giving a **** and doing what you want yet that philosophy these days seems to be more at home in the pop world rather than metal.

The mad thing is Bloodstock which is meant to be the super niche metal festival is oddly more embracing of acts as they just go crazy for everything. Mid-sized festivals are always the best.

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

Porcupine Tree? Perhaps Dogtooth headliner

Sadly no they basically said the tour they have booked is it.

1 hour ago, Swansea93 said:

Every year the ITK and rumours get me hyped only for it to be a major let down 😂

Haha yup. I think if you take away all the rumours and just look at who has indicated they are touring Europe next year and are also missing UK dates from their European tours this year it gives you 2 obvious bands - Metallica and Slipknot. Which when you factor in fact that Copping has supposedly had the bands booked for ages makes a lot of sense 

20 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Sadly no they basically said the tour they have booked is it.

Haha yup. I think if you take away all the rumours and just look at who has indicated they are touring Europe next year and are also missing UK dates from their European tours this year it gives you 2 obvious bands - Metallica and Slipknot. Which when you factor in fact that Copping has supposedly had the bands booked for ages makes a lot of sense 

Def Leppard are touring next year which includes festival dates too…