Download 2023

14 hours ago, Swansea93 said:

So our headliners if rumours and word of mouth are to be believed are Metallica Bring Me The Horizon Parkway Drive Metallica? 

Some of these rumours cancel each other out because if Metallica are playing Thur/Sat then there's no way Parkway are one of the headliners. Neither Parkway nor BMTH should be closing out the 20th Download.

I'm still sticking to Metallica / BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot. Maybe GNR instead Sunday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Some of these rumours cancel each other out because if Metallica are playing Thur/Sat then there's no way Parkway are one of the headliners. Neither Parkway nor BMTH should be closing out the 20th Download.

I'm still sticking to Metallica / BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot. Maybe GNR instead Sunday.

In the same way though, if people are saying bands are big enough now to headline Download then why not have one something knew close rather than the norm? They are a band that Download fans want so it won't bomb like a Biffy booking. Had even more from the weekend I just went away to and met a regular Download goer who didn't get that booking either.

2 hours ago, Swansea93 said:

Yeah Parkway wouldn’t make sense as a closure act and I feel they’d have a small crowd by the time that slot happens, Slipknot with Parkway support would be amazing.

I do feel myself it edges towards Parkway Drive subbing Slipknot Sunday but I still think they could do double duty with BMTH. Either way I definitely believe they are playing and am not particularly bothered if they do or not as they are a bit on the heavy side the wrong way for me.

Edited by thewayiam

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I do feel myself it edges towards Parkway Drive subbing Slipknot Sunday but I still think they could do double duty with BMTH. Either way I definitely believe they are playing and am not particularly bothered if they do or not as they are a bit on the heavy side the wrong way for me.

BMTH are outright headliners and will have Architects under them. Parkway under Slipknot works well though, yeah.

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

BMTH are outright headliners and will have Architects under them. Parkway under Slipknot works well though, yeah.

Yeah it probably it the way it works out best. I do finally want to see Slipknot at Download. My guess is that the headline main stage bit may be a little uninformed. 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Aye.

What's with the talk of Biffy not going down well this year?

I wasn't there like so not disputing it but it was the second time they've headlined and they've played on the undercard a fair few times over the years since Download's inception so I can't understand how it would have tanked with that history.

Honestly, not sure what the issue is with Biffy Clyro for punters there. Put on a phenomenal live show, and if you're a captive audience, you might as well enjoy yourself.

It could be the fact it was a Sunday night - people heading off to beat the rush - or it could be the fact that the setlist has moved much more towards the last few albums - albums that weren't toured on the smaller cut-your-teeth circuits where harder-favouring fans may have caught them years ago.

@metallimuse There was some pretty damning footage I can't be arsed finding right now of the side of the main stage being absolutely empty halfway through their set. Like you could literally just waltz into the pit level of empty. It's in this thread somewhere but wasn't a Youtube clip. 

Again I'll say I'm not ragging on them, got tickets for their tour but with the amount they play the UK they're just not a remotely interesting booking for Download at all and I think that's reflected by the amount of people who clearly left early.

Ah ok clued in now.

I find that so strange though considering their history at the festival, they’ve worked their way up that bill over the years and a returning headliner so I thought they would have the respect of the attendees.

I’m definitely inclined to believe Parkway are going to be there but I have doubts over them headlining. I absolutely think they should and that they would blow people away but I think the Sunday headliner will be someone really big. Parkway under them would make sense as the original info I had was that they were booked for the Sunday. 

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think the Sunday headliner will be someone really big. Parkway under them would make sense as the original info I had was that they were booked for the Sunday. 

Lines up with Lee's "4th = strong sub weak head not sure" thing. 

This might be wishful thinking but surely Parkway wouldn't be subbing a band like GnR. 

On Biffy; I just see it as Download fucking up and waiting too long to have them as a headliner. If they had got Biffy to headline the year after Soni, Reading or even before then Downloaders would have cheered and fondly remembered them as one of their bands who proved themselves at Download but as they have gone off and done the rounds at other festivals they are just seen as another R&L indie type band despite their long history with the fest. Headlining Download off Opposites and Only Revolutions would have helped too. 

That and they headlined once Download started doubling down on the same ol' old bookings so the regulars have become even more insular with their taste now.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

On Biffy; I just see it as Download fucking up and waiting too long to have them as a headliner. If they had got Biffy to headline the year after Soni, Reading or even before then Downloaders would have cheered and fondly remembered them as one of their bands who proved themselves at Download but as they have gone off and done the rounds at other festivals they are just seen as another R&L indie type band despite their long history with the fest. Headlining Download off Opposites and Only Revolutions would have helped too. 

That and they headlined once Download started doubling down on the same ol' old bookings so the regulars have become even more insular with their taste now.

But they headlined previously in 2017 or something, after Sonisphere had died. This was returning headline set.

2 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

But they headlined previously in 2017 or something, after Sonisphere had died. This was returning headline set.

Yeah, I meant in 2017. They headlined Soni in 2011 which was 6 years afterwards and at that point Download had already stepped up booking more and more olders bands.

27 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Lines up with Lee's "4th = strong sub weak head not sure" thing. 

This might be wishful thinking but surely Parkway wouldn't be subbing a band like GnR. 

That would be an odd one but I think it’d be a fantastic booking exposing PWD to that many people. It’s exactly what they would have done in 2018 last time GNR headlined instead of filling that day with stuff like Black Stone Cherry and Thunder. Get as many eyes on your potential future headliner as possible. 

37 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Ah ok clued in now.

I find that so strange though considering their history at the festival, they’ve worked their way up that bill over the years and a returning headliner so I thought they would have the respect of the attendees.

Because it was different content that they were playing when they were lower down the bill. People in the crowd were shouting for Jaggy Snake, not a slow ballad at a metal festival.

8 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Yes and it wasn't wanted then either. They should have headlined in like 2014 after their first Reading headline slot at the latest or as said even before they did Reading. Essentially they put  one of the least appealing Download headliners they could book at the minute to close the festival. It's not a lie to say the two most disappointing times I've seen them were 2012 subbing Metallica and this year headlining.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Because it was different content that they were playing when they were lower down the bill. People in the crowd were shouting for Jaggy Snake, not a slow ballad at a metal festival.

Yes and it wasn't wanted then either. They should have headlined in like 2014 after their first Reading headline slot at the latest or as said even before they did Reading. Essentially they put  one of the least appealing Download headliners they could book at the minute to close the festival. It's not a lie to say the two most disappointing times I've seen them were 2012 subbing Metallica and this year headlining.

But it’s fine for Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, KISS, Aerosmith, Metallica and GNR to do that? 

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That would be an odd one but I think it’d be a fantastic booking exposing PWD to that many people. It’s exactly what they would have done in 2018 last time GNR headlined instead of filling that day with stuff like Black Stone Cherry and Thunder. Get as many eyes on your potential future headliner as possible. 

A good idea that's probably too good for Download to actually do based on who usually subs.

A compromise there would be Greta Van Fleet for any dinosaurs still unaware there's an "in my day" band that could easily play annually for them

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

But it’s fine for Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, KISS, Aerosmith, Metallica and GNR to do that? 

They aren't closing the festival with a song covered by the winner of X Factor. What a stupid comparison but I knew this would be coming from you anyway. 

Master of puppets, Paradise city and Aces high, yup they are all slow ballads.

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m a huge Biffy fan and have seen them at least 10 times, but even I have to admit that ballads are not their strength.

The bands you mentioned all have better (imo of course) ballads than Biffy by far.

I accept that your point was in answer to someone who said that ballads don’t belong at a metal festival, which is clearly untrue, but I wanted to point out the differences between a Biffy ballad and the rest .

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They aren't closing the festival with a song covered by the winner of X Factor. What a stupid comparison but I knew this would be coming from you anyway. 

Master of puppets, Paradise city and Aces high, yup they are all slow ballads.

They closed the festival with one of their biggest songs. A song that got one of the biggest reactions of the night, by the way. Not that you’d know because you don’t go to festivals, you just come on here and state that their lineups aren’t exactly to your tastes enough. 

Nothing Else Matters, Beth, I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing, Sweet Child O Mine. November Rain. All ballads. Master of Puppets, Aces High? What a stupid comparison, eh. 

Edited by Andre91