Download 2023

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If DL had the balls we could hopefully get a day like this: 

The Cure / Deftones / Placebo / IDLES / Ministry / Deafheaven / Helmet / Nova Twins* 

* just whacked them in because it’s inevitable like Wargasm (they are much better though). 

Would be a great line up.

Other that The Cure, the rest of those bands wouldn’t be out of place at Download at all. 
Most have already played, certainly Idles, Deftones , Ministry and Nova Twins,not sure about the others.

4 minutes ago, jump said:

Do you only ever read my posts on here? I was replying back to someone who brought them up like the other times.

No, I read all the posts on here so will obviously come across yours.

Just surprised that you were still on the Quo myth since the last time I asked you could only find one single person who suggested it, who later admitted that it was a joke.

I suppose if you keep repeating it often enough, some will start to consider it fact.

The suggestions for Download are outdated as it is, don’t make it worse.

3 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

No, I read all the posts on here so will obviously come across yours.

Just surprised that you were still on the Quo myth since the last time I asked you could only find one single person who suggested it, who later admitted that it was a joke.

I suppose if you keep repeating it often enough, some will start to consider it fact.

The suggestions for Download are outdated as it is, don’t make it worse.

The way you go on about them you make it sound like Status Quo aren't a Download band. lol

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Metallica and Slipknot would be the most obvious choices even without the rumours. Both of them skipping the UK this year whilst touring Europe just makes them stand out. Metallica pretty much confirmed they are doing European festivals next year when they cancelled the Switzerland date and apologised that they couldn't work it into their schedule next year despite trying. Worded in a way heavily implying they will be in Europe that summer. Slipknot stating they are touring the world next year and only really doing Wacken out of the 'big fests' this year is making it pretty obvious candidate for a European fest run next year. 

Fair. So you've got Metallica twice, Slipknot and BMTH/PD both getting the same length is all I can think. To add fuel to this, I've also seen this guys Instagram and he's at Download about two rows away. Unless the two Metallica dates isn't correct then this is my guess. It's unlikely to get me there all weekend though.

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Fair. So you've got Metallica twice, Slipknot and BMTH/PD both getting the same length is all I can think. To add fuel to this, I've also seen this guys Instagram and he's at Download about two rows away. Unless the two Metallica dates isn't correct then this is my guess. It's unlikely to get me there all weekend though.

Why would Bring Me get the same length as Parkway? Bring Me are legit headliners and should be treated as such.

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Parkway are playing 3 arenas and Alexandra Palace this year, same size as Ghost's tour although Parkway have opted for Ally Pally presumably for a more intimate show than the O2.

They'd both be "small" headliners but 2024 is the time to book one of them.

Halestorm have done arenas. Machine Head are doing arenas. Sabaton are doing arenas. Architect's have done arenas. Placebo have done arenas. It's not just based on that. Ghost have about 0.9 million more listeners than Parkway Drive on Spotify right now.  Not expressing a preference, simply trying to predict Download's thinking. Ghost have bigger appeal in UK than Parkway Drive therefore you'd expect them to get bumped up first.

2 hours ago, jump said:

Ah my favourite part of the Download discussion. When talking about any new band possibly headlining Download they are either labelled not big enough or a R&L act so they should book AC/DC, Metallica and Guns n Roses instead as that's more realistic.

I was simply stating that I don't think Download will go for it. I've said before on these forums Download need to build up bands.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not a bad shout. Or could see Parkway Drive subbing Slipknot. Sorry I don't get the insta reference though?

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Why would Bring Me get the same length as Parkway? Bring Me are legit headliners and should be treated as such.

If that rumour of Parkway Drive being booked but confused about what slot they are playing is true then potentially they could have been given a time amount (like 90mins).  That's probably grasping though. But surely a band would know if they are a headliner. 

13 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Not a bad shout. Or could see Parkway Drive subbing Slipknot. Sorry I don't get the insta reference though?

Just adding that the guy who told me has personally seen PD so he's not making it up or anything. The guy from the band came down to pass the plectrum from his guitar to him. How legit the headlining tag is we will see but his post actually says headlining the Download main stage in 2023 so he's got it from somewhere and knows the band mate.

If the four day sticks it'd be a good way to promote "weak" headliners on Thursday or Friday while the other days cater to the standard headliners

2023: Metallica/BMTH/Metallica/MCR

2024: Ghost/SOAD/GNR/A7X

2025: Slipknot/Twenty One Pilots/Rammstein/Def Leppard

2026: *Unknown band that exploded in popularity*/Iron Maiden/Muse/RATM

and~ so on.

46 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Halestorm have done arenas. Machine Head are doing arenas. Sabaton are doing arenas. Architect's have done arenas. Placebo have done arenas. It's not just based on that. Ghost have about 0.9 million more listeners than Parkway Drive on Spotify right now.  Not expressing a preference, simply trying to predict Download's thinking. Ghost have bigger appeal in UK than Parkway Drive therefore you'd expect them to get bumped up first.

Oh I agree Ghost should, just saying that it wouldn't be super strange to see Parkway get the bump too considering where they play. They need to be looking at acts like the ones you named long term for headliners frankly. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, beetchez said:

If the four day sticks it'd be a good way to promote "weak" headliners on Thursday or Friday while the other days cater to the standard headliners

2023: Metallica/BMTH/Metallica/MCR

2024: Ghost/SOAD/GNR/A7X

2025: Slipknot/Twenty One Pilots/Rammstein/Def Leppard

2026: *Unknown band that exploded in popularity*/Iron Maiden/Muse/RATM

and~ so on.

I'd be shocked if Download goes 4 days from now on even if there's a weak headliner. They struggle with just 3 headliners every year already, even next year they are a headliner short and need Metallica to play twice.

14 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

BMTH as headliners - do they play old or new?

Current setlist but a few old songs like Diamonds Aren't Forever come back.

I'm curious if Download backs Bring Me by booking a few acts like You Me At Six, Deez Nuts, Babymetal, Nova Twins, Evanescence, Cradle Of Filth etc throughout the fest so they can have guests on to really smash it.

Edited by jump

9 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Perhaps one or two older ones thrown in, but I’m pretty sure it’ll largely be new stuff. (Well, post-2013).

Was listening to Sigrid's Bad Life the other day again, really big fan of that.

Not sure I'd have pegged BMTH turning into one of the better pop song bands of the last decade, but That's the Spirit certainly hinted at the capacity.