Download 2023

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Chvrches would do quite well at Download, perhaps more than we think. Their sound definitely has an appreciation these days for eighties goth - that last record was easily their best for me, just a wall-to-wall slap of ominous cinematic synthpop.

I need the camp chair for that - to sleep in.... 

32 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If DL had the balls we could hopefully get a day like this: 

The Cure / Deftones / Placebo / IDLES / Ministry / Deafheaven / Helmet / Nova Twins* 

* just whacked them in because it’s inevitable like Wargasm (they are much better though). 

That would be a great day!

13 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Indie bands are not going to play 3rd down at Download when they can headline any one of 50 other festivals and not have to do weeks interviews of double denim media asking them if they 'were surprised to be offered the gig' in a condescending you don't belong here tone. 

Placebo aren't indie and never have been. Always been 'alt rock' with a big dose of glam rock and some grunge influence thrown in. And they went down really well at Sonisphere. 

11 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Indie bands are not going to play 3rd down at Download when they can headline any one of 50 other festivals and not have to do weeks interviews of double denim media asking them if they 'were surprised to be offered the gig' in a condescending you don't belong here tone. 

The thing is just because a band isn’t metal or punk it doesn’t make them indie either. Like IDLES are not indie, punk or metal.

Alt rock is a massive genre and now with a big hole to fill as R&L are moving away from rock a lot of these acts haven’t got a fest to play and cross over far more than you would think if people actually listened to them.

9 minutes ago, jump said:

The thing is just because a band isn’t metal or punk it doesn’t make them indie either. Like IDLES are not indie, punk or metal.

Alt rock is a massive genre and now with a big hole to fill as R&L are moving away from rock a lot of these acts haven’t got a fest to play and cross over far more than you would think if people actually listened to them.

11 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

That would be a great day!

Placebo aren't indie and never have been. Always been 'alt rock' with a big dose of glam rock and some grunge influence thrown in. And they went down really well at Sonisphere. 

Might help people to read the context of posts. I was referring specifically to suggestions of Nothing But Thieves or Chvrches. 

53 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If DL had the balls we could hopefully get a day like this: 

The Cure / Deftones / Placebo / IDLES / Ministry / Deafheaven / Helmet / Nova Twins* 

* just whacked them in because it’s inevitable like Wargasm (they are much better though). 

Add my bloody valentine or Alcest in there that would be perfect maybe Nothing to open instead of Wargasm too 

16 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

How has this thread swung from “Status Quo headline or nothing” to “let’s get Chvrches in”? 😂

The sad thing is Chvrches playing was deliberate talk of curveballs that probably won’t happen whilst Status Quo headlining wasn’t.

Just now, Andre91 said:

Just get 100 gecs and be done with it. 

I’ve got no interest in seeing them at Reading this year but the idea of watching a stunned Download crowd trying to process what the fuck 100 Gecs are actually sounds fun.

10 minutes ago, jump said:

The sad thing is Chvrches playing was deliberate talk of curveballs that probably won’t happen whilst Status Quo headlining wasn’t.

Having seen Chvrches play live multiple times I just cannae see them at Download.

Cannae pictures the double denim crew swaying along to ‘The Mother We Share’ 🤣

11 minutes ago, jump said:

I’ve got no interest in seeing them at Reading this year but the idea of watching a stunned Download crowd trying to process what the fuck 100 Gecs are actually sounds fun.

Massive Die Antwoord vibes but somehow even more unsuited. I’d love it. 

Edited by Andre91

11 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Having seen Chvrches play live multiple times I just cannae see them at Download.

Cannae pictures the double denim crew swaying along to ‘The Mother We Share’ 🤣

Bigger banger than anything Maiden have ever put out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Massive Die Antwoord vibes but somehow even more unsuited. I’d love it. 

What do people think the overall system of Die Antwoord actually was. I heard a lot of people who went say how fun it was but I was too busy hanging it out with the people who thought it was sacrilege at the other stages/in the toilet queue to find out. 

20 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

What do people think the overall system of Die Antwoord actually was. I heard a lot of people who went say how fun it was but I was too busy hanging it out with the people who thought it was sacrilege at the other stages/in the toilet queue to find out. 

I was already a fan so welcomed them playing but they were definitely disliked a lot by a large chunk of the crowd that day. Not down the front behind the barrier though. People all around me were loving it. Not sure about further back but I can take a guess now they went down. 

There was a biiig anti Die Antwoord sentiment that year among everyone we talked to, I think they're tripe but seeing a brand new name on that poster was worth it, good left field booking to mess with the regulars. You could play it a bit safer and put Cypress Hill in a sub slot. Death Grips in a tent would be a riot. 

I don't follow them but suggestions of a new Parkway Drive album in September.

Could we see Metallica, AC/DC, Metallica and BMTH with Parkway Drive both with headline sets?

I still think that AC/DC will be Slipknot. I don't think they will put BMTH and Parkway Drive both headlining on different days.

25 minutes ago, jump said:

Rock bands that aren't metal shouldn't be at Download as it will ruin the integrity and credibility of the festival! The conversation then turns to Die Antwoord sub headlining the festival. lol

But I mean, Die Antwoord went down like a bloody led balloon. 

24 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

But I mean, Die Antwoord went down like a bloody led balloon. 

Nah, you might wanna check out some footage on Youtube, they had a sizeable crowd and the people at the front were loving it. Not lead balloon material, just very controversial among the bulk of attendees. 

Parkway Drive and Ghost feel like the two bands most due headline sets outside of Bring Me the Horizon for me.

Could take a leaf out of Glastonbury's book and just play seventy-five to eighty minutes atop the main stage, with an extra-beefy sub. (By my count, three of the last six Pyramid headliners have come in around that mark.)

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I don't follow them but suggestions of a new Parkway Drive album in September.

Could we see Metallica, AC/DC, Metallica and BMTH with Parkway Drive both with headline sets?

I still think that AC/DC will be Slipknot. I don't think they will put BMTH and Parkway Drive both headlining on different days.

Metallica and Slipknot would be the most obvious choices even without the rumours. Both of them skipping the UK this year whilst touring Europe just makes them stand out. Metallica pretty much confirmed they are doing European festivals next year when they cancelled the Switzerland date and apologised that they couldn't work it into their schedule next year despite trying. Worded in a way heavily implying they will be in Europe that summer. Slipknot stating they are touring the world next year and only really doing Wacken out of the 'big fests' this year is making it pretty obvious candidate for a European fest run next year. 

20 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Parkway Drive and Ghost feel like the two bands most due headline sets outside of Bring Me the Horizon for me.

Could take a leaf out of Glastonbury's book and just play seventy-five to eighty minutes atop the main stage, with an extra-beefy sub. (By my count, three of the last six Pyramid headliners have come in around that mark.)

Ghost I understand but I can't see Parkway Drive above sub. I know it's not the only measure but for example they have less Spotify listeners than Machine Head, Halestorm and Sabaton for example, all bands that have or are doing arenas. Machine Head are obvs trying to shift tickets still but have tonnes of full on academy tours which they've sold alot of venues out. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see Download having them headline yet. 

6 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Ghost I understand but I can't see Parkway Drive above sub. I know it's not the only measure but for example they have less Spotify listeners than Machine Head, Halestorm and Sabaton for example, all bands that have or are doing arenas. Machine Head are obvs trying to shift tickets still but have tonnes of full on academy tours which they've sold alot of venues out. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see Download having them headline yet. 

Parkway are playing 3 arenas and Alexandra Palace this year, same size as Ghost's tour although Parkway have opted for Ally Pally presumably for a more intimate show than the O2.

They'd both be "small" headliners but 2024 is the time to book one of them.

Ah my favourite part of the Download discussion. When talking about any new band possibly headlining Download they are either labelled not big enough or a R&L act so they should book AC/DC, Metallica and Guns n Roses instead as that's more realistic.