Download 2023

12 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Turnstile playing very high on the main is the kind of booking it needs but considering this is Download they'll drop the ball and they'll play Slam Dunk instead.

Even before Glow On, Turnstile were still an exciting band that Download just neglected. A Hardcore Punk band doing Glastonbury before Download shouldn't happen.

It shouldn't happen but if Download continues it's obsession with shoving any remotely hardcore/punk-adjacent band onto the Avalanche then these bands are going to find better gigs elsewhere. 

Enter Shikari in 2019 headlining the Avalanche despite easily being good enough for a Other Headliner. 

Funeral For A Friend this year on the Avalanche when they could easily have played some point on other/main

34 minutes ago, jump said:

The potential of a huge mainstage mosh pit with Turnstile is far more exciting to me than Download getting Metallica to headline.

Puts it in perspective really, it was my first Metallica show and while it was great, Turnstile was so much more thrilling. Metallica expect to show up and have an army of adoring fans waiting for them to play 40 year old songs. Turnstile soundchecked their own shit and were absolutely buzzing every time one of them wandered to our side of the crowd. 

Same with Fever 333 while I'm at it, crowd was nuts and every member of that band looked ecstatic just to be there with us. 

6 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Turnstile playing very high on the main is the kind of booking it needs but considering this is Download they'll drop the ball and they'll play Slam Dunk instead.

Even before Glow On, Turnstile were still an exciting band that Download just neglected. A Hardcore Punk band doing Glastonbury before Download shouldn't happen.

Glasto had a few bands this year who have never played Download that should have been likely like Bob Vylan, Pigs x7, Amyl & The Sniffers, Just Mustard, Yungblud, Brass Against, etc plus Idles who somehow has have managed to play Download along with Turnstile they would make for a decent day on the second stage at Download.

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

IDLES were also fantastic at Werchter but that seems to be a given at this point. 

+1 for Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, great sound. And Amyl, my Mrs was very taken with their Glasto set.

My missus likes Amly & The Sniffers too. They have a song about how Amy has to carry a knife around with her when she goes for a walk at night and when we saw them play my missus was like "thats what I do" which is both sad and funny that is what is relatable. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

They'd be great for the Avalanche if recent trends carry on... 

Too big for that and that would absolutely play up to the shit DL habit of putting exciting acts on small stages. IDLES could easily headline second or play third down Main. 

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Too big for that and that would absolutely play up to the shit DL habit of putting exciting acts on small stages. IDLES could easily headline second or play third down Main. 

Yeah I saw them play at Brixton on a sold out 4 night run there this year, that's the type of thing legit big bands do. With them it's just perception as if IDLES really wanted to they could be a "when are they gonna headline R&L and Glasto type band" but they don't seem to give a shit about that and prefer to play small fests/venues as often as they can. Which is all the better for us rather than R&L giving them a big exclusive tag so they can't play anywhere else they will pop up at cool smaller fests like 2000 Trees instead.

12 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Wonder who there is that could conceivably swing left into Download from outside the expected pool. Surely we're due a curveball - for want of a better word - sooner rather than later.

I’m going to predict that we will get a left of centre second stage headliner. My vote is Don Broco. The fact that they’re considered left of centre is pathetic because they’re a massive arena band but that’s the world DL lives in. 

If they do get booked, they will be the biggest party of the weekend. 

Edited by Andre91

15 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Wonder who there is that could conceivably swing left into Download from outside the expected pool. Surely we're due a curveball - for want of a better word - sooner rather than later.

Placebo as a sub or 2nd stage headliner. They went down very well at Sonisphere. Been supporting MCR too.

Edited by Spiral_Low

18 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Nothing But Thieves subbing.

Nothing are normally good live even if they are boring to listen to on record, aren’t indie or arty and cross over with hard rock well plus they give the illusion of the fest being more mainstream than it actually is with their name on the line up.

Edited by jump

Just now, jump said:

Nothing are normally good live, aren’t indie or arty and cross over with hard rock well plus they give the illusion of the fest being more mainstream than it actually is with their name on the line up.

Are they that big?! I will admit to ignorance - last I saw them was over half-a-decade ago supporting Muse.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Nothing are normally good live even if they are boring to listen to on record, aren’t indie or arty and cross over with hard rock well plus they give the illusion of the fest being more mainstream than it actually is with their name on the line up.

NBT are whack, bro. 

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here but if they subbed before Architects, Shikari etc. I’d understand the backlash 😂

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

Nope never played Download.

Which is madness. Imagine a Placebo greatest hits set closing out the second stage. Similar to Weezer, really. How on Earth that band hasn’t played 70mins of bangers to a crowd in the setting sun is mental. Sonisphere got them. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Are they that big?! I will admit to ignorance - last I saw them was over half-a-decade ago supporting Muse.

They played The 02 arena not too long ago.

If they were a metal band they would be in for a shout as Download headliners at this point.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

NBT are whack, bro. 

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here but if they subbed before Architects, Shikari etc. I’d understand the backlash 😂

Yep but we are talking curveballs and it is probably the over reaction I could see to try and make the line up more young and mainstream when they could of just booked IDLES instead.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Yep but we are talking curveballs and it is probably the over reaction I could see to try and make the line up more young and mainstream when they could of just booked IDLES instead.

I genuinely think a band like CHVRCHES would get a decent reaction at DL but it’s the slot they would get. They’re a pretty big band who regularly sell out academy tours so they would probs need to be a logo act. And if they got low balled, why would they accept it? 

I think they just need to get Ghostemane. There’s a performance on YouTube from something like Lolapalooza Paris (don't quote that) and he’s insane. Download would eat that shit up. 

Edited by Andre91

Indie bands are not going to play 3rd down at Download when they can headline any one of 50 other festivals and not have to do weeks interviews of double denim media asking them if they 'were surprised to be offered the gig' in a condescending you don't belong here tone. 

• Upvote 1