Download 2023

9 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Literally no one is calling for Status Quo or Saxon. The only time they get mentioned is when people say that the ‘double denim dinosaurs’ are calling for them, when they’re not. Even if they did, it would be a tiny tiny minority.

Saxon played in one of the tents last time they played and Quo played second stage when Linkin Park were on about 8 or 9 years ago.Even then, Linkin Park got the huge majority of the crowd, not bad for a festival full of old classic rock fans stuck in the past.

If you want to use examples of bands the old guard are looking for, you’d have more credibility if you used Maiden, Metallica or Megadeth as examples.

There are real serious suggestions of Status Quo should be headlining whilst complaining Bring Me aren’t big enough in this very thread.

Download has gotten to the point that the hyperbole jokes have become real. Lol

29 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

PARKWAY DRIVE / Five Finger Death Punch / Lamb Of God / Killswitch Engage / Jinjer / Code Orange / Spiritbox

makes sense with the "weak headliner but strong undercard" thing

Does anyone have the original 'info' that claimed that? Cuz I thought it was a reference to BMTH as the guy posting it only 'knew' 3 of the 4 nights which got figured out to be Metallica X2 and BMTH?

1 hour ago, jump said:

There are real serious suggestions of Status Quo should be headlining whilst complaining Bring Me aren’t big enough in this very thread.

Download has gotten to the point that the hyperbole jokes have become real. Lol

Well a quick search of the words Status Quo on here just brings up people claiming that everyone is calling for Status Quo to headline, without many actually making the claim. Let alone someone saying Quo should headline and BMTH aren’t big enough.

There may be the odd one or two if you go back far enough but in general I think people are just saying it to make out the average Download is even more outdated than they actually are.

And god knows where the Saxon thing comes from, I think people have just made that up as well. 

The old ‘if you repeat it often enough it becomes fact’ trick.

Edited by rivalschools.price

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Does anyone have the original 'info' that claimed that? Cuz I thought it was a reference to BMTH as the guy posting it only 'knew' 3 of the 4 nights which got figured out to be Metallica X2 and BMTH?

It's buried deep in the official forum threads on 2023.

Parkway and Architects are both exactly the kind of band that you'd pencil in as a headliner if you didn't have a show stopping band and you could easily contract them to sub should you get a better band. FFDP and Judas Priest might also fool in that wheelhouse but BMTH (by virtue of them refusing to play unless headlining) / Metallica / Guns N Roses would all be too big for it. 

Ghost are a weird one, big enough to headline but not sub. I honestly feel like if there's a year to do dual main stages it's next year - all of us can easily count 8-10 available bands who can headline

I am going to find it quite funny if those rumours turn out be codswallop though. 

Edited by willgooneday

28 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Well a quick search of the words Status Quo on here just brings up people claiming that everyone is calling for Status Quo to headline, without many actually making the claim. Let alone someone saying Quo should headline and BMTH aren’t big enough.

There may be the odd one or two if you go back far enough but in general I think people are just saying it to make out the average Download is even more outdated than they actually are.

And god knows where the Saxon thing comes from, I think people have just made that up as well. 

The old ‘if you repeat it often enough it becomes fact’ trick.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, willgooneday said:

Status Quo have  one of the richest back catalogues of any rock band, anything less than headliner is doing them a disservice. Yes the 18 year old BMTH fangirls won't get it, but Download has a much more varied age of attendants, they had success for generations - they are totally headliners or nothing. 

22 minutes ago, jump said:

So in your search for the Download punters asking for Status Quo to headline, you found one single person? (And even that one didn’t say BMTH aren’t  big enough, just that BMTH fans won’t get it)

I hope you don’t normally use a single social media poster as a means of gauging average opinion otherwise you’ll have a crazy view of the world.

3 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

So in your search for the Download punters asking for Status Quo to headline, you found one single person? (And even that one didn’t say BMTH aren’t  big enough, just that BMTH fans won’t get it)

I hope you don’t normally use a single social media poster as a means of gauging average opinion otherwise you’ll have a crazy view of the world.

As much as you don’t like the idea of Download being seen as out of touch it sadly is. The better fix for that is for Download to stop being the dinosaur rock festival it has become rather than you complaining I’m making fun of the silly suggestions like Status Quo to headline. 

Rock and metal isn’t dead but I want Downlod to stop acting like it is.

30 minutes ago, jump said:

As much as you don’t like the idea of Download being seen as out of touch it sadly is. The better fix for that is for Download to stop being the dinosaur rock festival it has become rather than you complaining I’m making fun of the silly suggestions like Status Quo to headline. 

Rock and metal isn’t dead but I want Downlod to stop acting like it is.

Ah, I see.

The amount of times you kept using Status Quo as an example of what the typical Downloader wants to headline, anyone would have thought you were seriously trying to create the impression that Download punters are even more outdated than they actually are.

16 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Nope. The guy I met though I was with him a fair bit and I've no reason to not believe him. He goes Download himself and was given a plectrum by the guitarist from previous as he knows them. 

An interesting though experiment is what Download headliners look like in another 20 years as a celebration of the 20th festival.

If you account for bands that currently sit on the 'Download headliner roster' and haven't retired there going to go into retirement soon enough. Of all the still active bands that have previously been headliners:

Aerosmith's average age will be 91

AC/DC's average will be 89

Iron Maiden's average age will be 84.

Def Leppard's average age will be 80

Metallica's average age will be 78.

Faith No More's average age will be 77

System of A Downs average age will be 76

Rammstein's average will be 75

RATM's average will be 74

Guns N Roses average age will be 72

Even of the 'younger bands' (i.e below retirment age in 2022)

Slipknot's average age will be 69

Muse's average age will be 63

Biffy Clyro's average will be 62

My Chemical Romance's average age will be 62. 

Avenged Sevenfold's average will be 60

And it doesn't get much better when you start looking at bands that have subbed but could be bumped:

We're going to end up with bands like A Day to Remember, Parkway Drive, Black Stone Cherry, Ghost and Alter Bridge as the 'elder statesmen of rock' purely through the fact there's no one else around. 

Metallica / BMTH / Metallica* / AC/DC

*would have originally been Maiden if not for Covid as this years headliners were pencilled in before 2020 was booked to avoid using them in 2021/2022. This is word of mouth from people who know people who know people, but I've no reason to disbelieve it. 

Just got back from Rock Werchter (first time and now probably our favourite festival minus boring but friendly Belgians). 

Due to cancellations Turnstile ended up subbing Metallica on the main stage and it was unreal, must be one of the biggest HC crowds in history. Was up front in the pits and it was a blast, definitely won over some Metallica fans. I was so happy for them walking away I could have cried, get them in at any and all cost, been said before 100 times but I'll say it again. 

Also Pearl Jam would absolutely tear the fucking lid off Download. Eddie Vedder has more energy and passion in his performances than most of the rotating fossils put together and the rest of the band killed it too. Put that show in front of a drunk gaggle of British folk and it would be a night to remember. 

Finally Lars Ulrich should be banned from sitting behind a drum kit again but now I really am preaching to the choir. 

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Just got back from Rock Werchter (first time and now probably our favourite festival minus boring but friendly Belgians). 

Due to cancellations Turnstile ended up subbing Metallica on the main stage and it was unreal, must be one of the biggest HC crowds in history. Was up front in the pits and it was a blast, definitely won over some Metallica fans. I was so happy for them walking away I could have cried, get them in at any and all cost, been said before 100 times but I'll say it again. 

Also Pearl Jam would absolutely tear the fucking lid off Download. Eddie Vedder has more energy and passion in his performances than most of the rotating fossils put together and the rest of the band killed it too. Put that show in front of a drunk gaggle of British folk and it would be a night to remember. 

Finally Lars Ulrich should be banned from sitting behind a drum kit again but now I really am preaching to the choir. 

That's both awesome and insane about Turnstile subbing Metallica. So unbelievably cool to hear. 

If I was booking DL, I'd be going all in on Turnstile and giving them a third down Main Stage slot. 

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That's both awesome and insane about Turnstile subbing Metallica. So unbelievably cool to hear. 

If I was booking DL, I'd be going all in on Turnstile and giving them a third down Main Stage slot. 

They were absolutely awesome last week in Glastonbury, they would smash any slot they weee given.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Sam Fender was out before the festival started with Tonsilits (surprise surprise) so they bumped them once and then Greta dropped out on the day due to Covid so they moved again, opposite Alt-J on 2nd who, fair play to them, were full hours before they went on. Mrs was gutted about Greta until I took her to the Turnstile pit and she forgot pretty quickly. 

From midday 2nd stage to subbing Metallica in the space of two days. Wild. 

Edited by BenG92
  • Like 1

The potential of a huge mainstage mosh pit with Turnstile is far more exciting to me than Download getting Metallica to headline.

It's just a shame that Download being Download they won't book them until 3 years later once the must-see urgency is gone from them or if they did book them next year they'd stick them in a tent as the headliners play.

Edited by jump

Turnstile playing very high on the main is the kind of booking it needs but considering this is Download they'll drop the ball and they'll play Slam Dunk instead.

Even before Glow On, Turnstile were still an exciting band that Download just neglected. A Hardcore Punk band doing Glastonbury before Download shouldn't happen.