Download 2023

Using the rumours and guesswork: 

Thurs -

Main only: Metallica / Alice In Chains / Machine Head / Amon Amarth / Testament / Exodus / Death Angel

Fri -

Main: BMTH / Architects / Halestorm / NOFX / Poppy / Fever 333 / Nova Twins / Bloodywood 

Second: The Offspring / The Distillers

Sat - 

Main: Metallica / Faith No More / Lamb Of God / Anthrax / Soulfly / L7 / Devildriver / Diamond Head

Second:  Killswitch Engage / Hatebreed

Sun - 

Main: Slipknot / Nightwish / Cyprus Hill / Jinjer / Spiritbox / Code Orange / Vended

Second: Parkway Drive / Opeth

Changed my mind about Ghost and Sabaton being there I think they will do 2024. Think Gojira at Bloodstock. 

Edit - basically the 2 Metallica days as very thrash/metal with some of their pals too. BMTH as the 'new' day (ok not NOFX but can see them popping up). Slipknot as very Knotfest. 

Edited by Spiral_Low
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Using the rumours and guesswork: 

Thurs -

Main only: Metallica / Alice In Chains / Machine Head / Amon Amarth / Testament / Exodus / Death Angel

Fri -

Main: BMTH / Architects / Halestorm / NOFX / Poppy / Fever 333 / Nova Twins / Bloodywood 

Second: The Offspring / The Distillers

Sat - 

Main: Metallica / Faith No More / Lamb Of God / Anthrax / Soulfly / L7 / Devildriver / Diamond Head

Second:  Killswitch Engage / Hatebreed

Sun - 

Main: Slipknot / Nightwish / Cyprus Hill / Jinjer / Spiritbox / Code Orange / Vended

Second: Parkway Drive / Opeth

Changed my mind about Ghost and Sabaton being there I think they will do 2024. Think Gojira at Bloodstock. 

Edit - basically the 2 Metallica days as very thrash/metal with some of their pals too. BMTH as the 'new' day (ok not NOFX but can see them popping up). Slipknot as very Knotfest. 

I can only see Machine Head either headlining the second stage with a super long set or maybe sub Metallica (and only Metallica since they respect them) with an almost headliners long set. It's gonna be hard work to get them so in the unlikely event they do play some sort of a special concession will have to be made for them imo. But as long as they aren't demanding to headline or are asking for a fee equal to Metallica then give them what they want, they are probably the most exciting non-headliner booking they can make for the fest.

Edited by jump

33 minutes ago, jump said:

I can only see Machine Head either headlining the second stage with a super long set or maybe sub Metallica (and only Metallica since they respect them) with an almost headliners long set. It's gonna be hard work to get them so in the unlikely event they do play some sort of a special concession will have to be made for them imo. But as long as they aren't demanding to headline or are asking for a fee equal to Metallica then give them what they want, they are probably the most exciting non-headliner booking they can make for the fest.

Tbh maybe swap them and AIC around I was unsure there. 

9 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Machine Head are outright headliners. 

I mean for me yeah but it's a guess not a wish 🙂

25 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

I adore Machine Head more than most bands but hey’re not.

They should be, though, because they should have given them the call in 2008 when they were on The Blackening and they needed headliners to replace the dropouts. 

29 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Nah, they had to moved their Aly Pally show to Brixton last time and their co-headline show at Wembley has alot of tixs left sadly.

They will go down a fucking storm with the crowd but it's a fucking laugh people are talking about how Ghost and Bring Me aren't headliners yet Machine Head and Status Quo are.

59 minutes ago, jump said:

Nah, they had to moved their Aly Pally show to Brixton last time and their co-headline show at Wembley has alot of tixs left sadly.

They will go down a fucking storm with the crowd but it's a fucking laugh people are talking about how Ghost and Bring Me aren't headliners yet Machine Head and Status Quo are.

Status Quo have  one of the richest back catalogues of any rock band, anything less than headliner is doing them a disservice. Yes the 18 year old BMTH fangirls won't get it, but Download has a much more varied age of attendants, they had success for generations - they are totally headliners or nothing. 

5 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Status Quo have  one of the richest back catalogues of any rock band, anything less than headliner is doing them a disservice. Yes the 18 year old BMTH fangirls won't get it, but Download has a much more varied age of attendants, they had success for generations - they are totally headliners or nothing. 

Status Quo have played before but didn't headline...

3 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Yeah but Bring Me the Horizon sell way more tickets are far more exciting

Edited by justanothername

3 hours ago, willgooneday said:

More people at DL like BMTH and the Quo. That’s a fact. 

It is a weird thing that a lot of younger rock fans aren’t put off by listening to older music, getting a shirt for band that started before they were born and going to see the old bands play. It doesn’t even matter if they aren’t someone the status of Metallica or Guns n Roses either as long as they are decent.

However on the other side older rock fans seem to have a harder time listening to and accepting new rock for whatever reason. It’s fucking annoying that I will go to a family thing and some uncle I barely know will start talking and expecting me to know about some old rock band from their time they like but if suggest a newer band to them of similar ilk (which is still way before my time) like say Monster Magnet they will still have fuck no interest as it’s modern.

10 minutes ago, jump said:

It is a weird thing that a lot of younger rock fans aren’t put off by listening to older music, getting a shirt for band that started before they were born and going to see the old bands play. It doesn’t even matter if they aren’t someone the status of Metallica or Guns n Roses either as long as they are decent.

However on the other side older rock fans seem to have a harder time listening to and accepting new rock for whatever reason. It’s fucking annoying that I will go to a family thing and some uncle I barely know will start talking and expecting me to know about some old rock band from their time they like but if suggest a newer band to them of similar ilk (which is still way before my time) like say Monster Magnet they will still have fuck no interest as it’s modern.

A lot of it will be to do with younger fans liking music they may have heard being brought up. I like a lot of music before I was born either by my own chocie or through my parent's. 

But older guys probably see modern rock as being around too much of s crowd they don't wish to be. Maybe a bit like a night out. Many older people will avoid where the majority of youngsters are hanging out. That's kinda just the way it is.

But rock for me at least, was far better 10 years ago than today. Even the rock/metal bands I think were better imo then. I've rough estimated 10 years. 

52 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Obviously Metallica confirmed one night but Slipknot / AC/DC / Rage Against the Machine for the others? 

Metallica are almost certainly doing two nights.

49 minutes ago, jump said:

It’s Linkin Park’s fault. The old guard could accept band like KoRn, Slipknot and Deftones but then LP came along with Hybrid Theory and that crowd went ‘Nah, that’s enough for us’ because they looked in no way like a ‘traditional metal band’ and sounded way more poppy than anything before on their scale.

It’s no coincidence that a band like Maiden, who were in the gutter in the 90s got a massive resurgence in the early 00s once LP broke. Also bands like Megadeth and Slayer, who weren’t in a good place, got a massive boost again because they all dug their denim and leather out and dug their heels into the ground about what was ‘traditional’ and what wasn’t. 

For all the new, young fans LP brought in (myself included), they alienated just as many. 

Edited by Andre91

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s Linkin Park’s fault. The old guard could accept band like KoRn, Slipknot and Deftones but then LP came along with Hybrid Theory and that crowd went ‘Nah, that’s enough for us’ because they looked in no way like a ‘traditional metal band’ and sounded way more poppy than anything before on their scale.

It’s no coincidence that a band like Maiden, who were in the gutter in the 90s got a massive resurgence in the early 00s once LP broke. Also bands like Megadeth and Slayer, who weren’t in a good place, got a massive boost again because they all dug their denim and leather out and dug their heels into the ground about what was ‘traditional’ and what wasn’t. 

For all the new, young fans LP brought in (myself included), they alienated just as many. 

I always gave credit to that Wheatus song for reviving Iron Maiden. It probably was a resurgent of metal in general but I just think it’s funnier that Iron Maiden owe Wheatus one and should have them as their support on their next tour!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Which is hilarious given the whole attraction of half these bands to their original fans was them not being Beat music or folk rock from the 60s or more poppy genres from the 70s. Funny how patterns repeat themselves.

Bands people have considered as headliners for next year (but likely won't, one way or another):

Machine Head - Highest they've gotten is third down. Sub more likely I think.

Judas Priest - Subbed Kiss and Slipknot. Likely to sub again than outright headline.

Status Quo - Headlined second stage in 2014. They aren't getting any bigger than sub.

Trivium/Lamb Of God - They're at the same level as Machine Head, arguably smaller.

Motley Crue - They probably are headline worthy now... But would still sub.

Alter Bridge - They're a forever sub band now. Same with Korn.

Architects - There is no way they'll headline any time soon. We're in bizarro world if they do before BMTH.

Black Stone Cherry - Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are they really that big? I thought even subbing GNR was a stretch. 

Fall Out Boy/P!ATD/Paramore/TOP - Torn on these kind of bands. They're definitely "headliners", but for Download? I dunno.

Parkway Drive/FFDP - Headline 2023? Pushing it. I'd say no. 

Enter Shikari/BFMV - Just because they headlined Pilot doesn't mean they're regular Download headliners.

Honestly the only 'new' bands that can step up to headline (as in not co-headline or are already huge like Green Day) are BMTH and Ghost... Possibly QOTSA. And even they'll get stick for not being big enough.

Edited by beetchez

4 hours ago, beetchez said:

Fall Out Boy/P!ATD/Paramore/TOP - Torn on these kind of bands. They're definitely "headliners", but for Download? I dunno.

The absolute best thing they could do is just turn one day into a "plus-sized Slam Dunk", all the pop punk bands are over a week or two before anyway and with the larger size they can get the bigger bands from that scene who won't drop back down to play it.

42 minutes ago, Jericode said:

The absolute best thing they could do is just turn one day into a "plus-sized Slam Dunk", all the pop punk bands are over a week or two before anyway and with the larger size they can get the bigger bands from that scene who won't drop back down to play it.

Thing is there's already a dedicated punk stage already so stuff like Fall Out Boy shouldn't be seen as a crazy suggestion that needs to book loads of pop punk on the main stage to support such a radical booking.

Once it's accepted that Download DOES NOT get stadium bands to headline all that often and never really have the real issue can be addressed. The line ups are getting worse, go back to the 00s and look at a few posters and you will see Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Disturbed etc on the main stage which are a lot of the same bands as now however that was 20 years ago when these were new fresh bands so that combined with how they have brought in all of these Monsters Of Rock acts has dented the festival. It's lot easier to accept new blood headliners when the insular thinking of the Downloaders is not more of the same which they have been accustomed to now. 

It needs a rebuilding phase like with what happened to Glasto and R&L and by that I mean a fresher booker in addition to Copping (even Michael Eavis clocked onto he doesn't know modern music anymore decades ago) who will place more value on new exciting bands being talked about than looking at Monsters Of Rock and 00s Download line ups for inspiration to plug holes on the card so younger punters will come, put a new emphasis on the main stage from top to bottom as there's fuck all reason why the bottom of the card should look so boring every year and add some curve ball bookings to spice things up. With a stronger and more interesting line up booking headliners like Queens Of The Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails or Fall Out Boy would not seem such a gamble as people are there for the day anyway unlike now which is driven by headliners and with younger fans there now they are excited for Ghost, Bring Me or Royal Blood headlining and their enthusiasm may even infect the crusty old Saxon fans into seeing them too.  It's that or have Status Quo headline! 😜

12 hours ago, thewayiam said:

But rock for me at least, was far better 10 years ago than today. Even the rock/metal bands I think were better imo then. I've rough estimated 10 years. 

No offence but you don't have the most robust taste in music now or then. 😜

In terms of the UK louder non-indie rock scene I completely disagree. 20-10 years ago the UK biggest current acts were stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, Funeral For A Friend, Enter Shikari, Lost Prophets, You Me @ Six!, The Darkness and Biffy Clyro who are respectable enough but in the last 10 years since you have While She Sleeps, Architects, Bring Me The Horizon, Frank Carter, Slaves and IDLES with the first three basically smashing metal like nu-metal or thrash did before it as well as IDLES being a figurehead of shouty post-punk.

Although I did love The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster and Gallows backintheday but they were bands that never got to the next level to matter sadly. 

Edited by jump

Ok seen as I've been criticised for too much old shit in my previous attempts.

Thursday

Main - Metallica / Judas Priest / Sabaton / Sevendust

Other - Enter Shikari 

Avalanche - Reel Big Fish / Mighty Bosstones

Friday

Main - Bring Me the Horizon / Yungblud / Creeper / Pantera

Other -  Halestorm

Avalanche - Less Than Jake

Saturday

Main -  Metallica / Parkway Drive / Turnstile / Thunder

Other - Idles 

Avalanche - Machine Head

Sunday

Main - Slipknot / Zeal and Ardor / Badflower / Cheap Trick

Other - Yard Act

Avalanche - Kid Brunswick

12 hours ago, thewayiam said:

A lot of it will be to do with younger fans liking music they may have heard being brought up. I like a lot of music before I was born either by my own chocie or through my parent's. 

But older guys probably see modern rock as being around too much of s crowd they don't wish to be. Maybe a bit like a night out. Many older people will avoid where the majority of youngsters are hanging out. That's kinda just the way it is.

Download Festival 2012

Really? 

Tenacious D / Steel Panther / Black Veil Brides