Download 2023

4 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Surprised Greta Van Fleet aren't a regular booking at this point, a new band that can actually keep the fossils entertained. Feels like their entire dedicated fanbase is just people who comment "now THIS is real music like what I used to listen to!" on Youtube videos.

Interestingly they’ve grown a bit of a younger audience in the last year or so. ‘Heat Above’ went viral on TikTok - generally appearing in videos with people fawning over the lead singer 😂

1 minute ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Interestingly they’ve grown a bit of a younger audience in the last year or so. ‘Heat Above’ went viral on TikTok - generally appearing in videos with people fawning over the lead singer 😂

Yeah I should have elaborated that this is what would make them a great booking, they're young and younger fans may have no idea (or care) how much they're ripping off Zep, while older people can appreciate them for sounding like Zep (or hate them for it). They're divisive but such an obvious Download booking.

It's difficult to speak for their size here, they're about to play two back to back sold out nights at the Apollo in Manchester after selling out ally pally and then sub Metallica in Belgium. If they were to take a 2nd stage headline spot opposite BMTH it would be perfect. 

1 minute ago, Alex Winstone said:

Muse?

Not for the 20th anniversary one. Would be a bummer and I like Muse. If anything they'll do R+L 23 and DL 24.

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah I should have elaborated that this is what would make them a great booking, they're young and younger fans may have no idea (or care) how much they're ripping off Zep, while older people can appreciate them for sounding like Zep (or hate them for it). They're divisive but such an obvious Download booking.

It's difficult to speak for their size here, they're about to play two back to back sold out nights at the Apollo in Manchester after selling out ally pally and then sub Metallica in Belgium. If they were to take a 2nd stage headline spot opposite BMTH it would be perfect. 

Not for the 20th anniversary one. Would be a bummer and I like Muse. If anything they'll do R+L 23 and DL 24.

The lead singer claimed they were ripping off Aerosmith which got an interesting reaction from Robert Plant..... 🤣

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I personally think that Greta Van Fleet are pap but they should absolutely be a logo band by now. Third down main would suit them perfectly, especially under an older headliner. 

Third feels a touch too low maybe? I dunno, I'm having a hard time judging this when DL22 thirds were Volbeat and Skindred and Skindred are about to open for Volbeat in December. It's messy. 

3 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

With respect can we stop saying the older crowd makes up most of Download? The main demographic is probably my generation (I'm 37). Probably 25-45 has the biggest representation there. I know we aren't kids anymore but come on haha. Yeah there are a chunk of over 50's but there are loads of 18-21 too, it's a mixed bag! 

But they need more 80s cock rock, it’s the only thing the yoof know!!!

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Third feels a touch too low maybe? I dunno, I'm having a hard time judging this when DL22 thirds were Volbeat and Skindred and Skindred are about to open for Volbeat in December. It's messy. 

Skindred where an emergency booking imo, after Gojira,The Offspring and Disturbed pulled out there was no other option but them that they could get away with. People were calling it out as weak booking for that slot at the time.

Also I like ‘em but Volbeat aren’t selling out Wembley.

Edited by jump

8 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

With respect can we stop saying the older crowd makes up most of Download? The main demographic is probably my generation (I'm 37). Probably 25-45 has the biggest representation there. I know we aren't kids anymore but come on haha. Yeah there are a chunk of over 50's but there are loads of 18-21 too, it's a mixed bag! 

And while we’re at it can we stop using Status Quo and Saxon as examples of who the typical Downloader wants to see.

3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

And while we’re at it can we stop using Status Quo and Saxon as examples of who the typical Downloader wants to see.

So you're not gonna join in the calls for Status Quo to finally headline Download then?

Hollywood Vampires are touring Europe next June. They are a shout for second stage headliner.

Edited by jump

I think that they need to take a leaf out of the books of Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees.  They seem to get the balance right between the up and coming bands and the nostalgia bands.  At SD, I get my fill of bands from my youth 20 years ago, but also get to check out some new stuff as well.  Appreciate it's a different scale and different genres, but the principles are solid.

It looks like Download could do with another stage too - 4 feels light; an extra one could give it a bit more breadth.  If you think Slam Dunk pretty much had 6 stages.  Granted it has the opposite problem of too much choice of headliner! 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

After watching Glasto on the telly, would not be surprised if Turnstile appeared in a big slot. Absolutely mega set from them. 

Also, as an outside shout, how about Black MIDI? Or are they a little too 6Music?

Two acts that should 100% be at Download but will probably, disappointingly not be. Turnstile will headline Slam Dunk 23

2 hours ago, willgooneday said:

RHCP setlist posted on Copping's instagram if I've got the right one? Would be too interesting a booking right? 

Would be an odd choice but then again they played Louder Than Hell this year which had parallels with Download in terms of the other headliners and the undercard. I don’t really care for RHCP though so would be a bit disappointed

On 6/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, gary1979666 said:

I think that they need to take a leaf out of the books of Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees.  They seem to get the balance right between the up and coming bands and the nostalgia bands.  At SD, I get my fill of bands from my youth 20 years ago, but also get to check out some new stuff as well.  Appreciate it's a different scale and different genres, but the principles are solid.

It looks like Download could do with another stage too - 4 feels light; an extra one could give it a bit more breadth.  If you think Slam Dunk pretty much had 6 stages.  Granted it has the opposite problem of too much choice of headliner! 🤷‍♂️

On the extra stage, where the hell are you gonna put it? Campsite village is about the only feasible place. 

Also was looking at the map trying to work this out and it looks like the Gold & Yellow campsites have been binned off? Although there's also areas that have been campsites in the past few years that aren't marked as such so is that just an overflow thing? 

15 hours ago, willgooneday said:

On the extra stage, where the hell are you gonna put it? Campsite village is about the only feasible place. 

Also was looking at the map trying to work this out and it looks like the Gold & Yellow campsites have been binned off? Although there's also areas that have been campsites in the past few years that aren't marked as such so is that just an overflow thing? 

Well you could definitely fit another stage in that main stage area. That main stage doesn't need all that space, no one ever fills it all

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Well you could definitely fit another stage in that main stage area. That main stage doesn't need all that space, no one ever fills it all

It seemed pretty full for Guns N Roses and Ozzy. I'd imagine for Maiden as well? Obviously short of AC/DC no-ones gonna pack the entire park out.  Speaking of which, semi-realistic? Lower profile other headliners to be more spendy for the main stage (who would finish before main most days anyway) 

Thursday - AC/DC / Hawkwind / Black Stone Cherry - Other - Idles
Friday - Bring Me the Horizon  / Ghost / Thunder - Other - Neck Deep

Saturday - Metallica /  Judas Priest / Lamb of God Other -  Enter Shikari

Sunday - Slipknot / Parkway Drive / Whitesnake  Other - Turnstile