Download 2023

10 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah, that type of booking does work too. Babymetal were unkown to the West until Sonisphere booked them to open the mainstage and a few short years later they ended up playing Wembley.

It's not even as if Download are booking at least Brixton sized acts on the mainstage, alot of times it's these bands that have been around for years and look out of place on a big stage with no hope of ever moving up the line up.

I hate hearing the excuse too that 'it's better' for bands like Bleed From Within and Spiritbox to play later in a tent so they get more of a crowd than early on the Main Stage where they 'won't play to anybody'. That's total bollocks. So many people missed out on seeing those two exciting bands because they could get nowhere near the tents. Yet a band like Wayward Sons, who are really small and sound like a local pub band can open the Main Stage?

Download is not Reading and Leeds. People head to the arena en masse early every single year. As we all know, plenty of folk pitch up at the Main Stage all day from the moment they enter the arena. There are always plenty of people in the arena and at the Main Stage in time for the opening slots. Showcase the most exciting, hyped and popular up and coming acts in that time and they will sell more tickets on their next tours and be back in higher slots in the coming years. 

How are these sorts of bands supposed to get bigger and progress up the bill when the biggest platform for them to do so ignores them? 

19 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I hate hearing the excuse too that 'it's better' for bands like Bleed From Within and Spiritbox to play later in a tent so they get more of a crowd than early on the Main Stage where they 'won't play to anybody'. That's total bollocks. So many people missed out on seeing those two exciting bands because they could get nowhere near the tents. Yet a band like Wayward Sons, who are really small and sound like a local pub band can open the Main Stage?

Download is not Reading and Leeds. People head to the arena en masse early every single year. As we all know, plenty of folk pitch up at the Main Stage all day from the moment they enter the arena. There are always plenty of people in the arena and at the Main Stage in time for the opening slots. Showcase the most exciting, hyped and popular up and coming acts in that time and they will sell more tickets on their next tours and be back in higher slots in the coming years. 

How are these sorts of bands supposed to get bigger and progress up the bill when the biggest platform for them to do so ignores them? 

It may sound silly but I was very close to going this year and Bokassa, a hyped up new band just like Code Orange/Jinjer/Spiritbox etc, playing for only 20ish mins high up on the smallest stage was the deal breaker for me.

My missus loves Frank Carter (although I am a fan too) and she has suddenly got I Was Made for Lovin You stuck in her head a week or two before the fest so I was thinking of getting us day tickets so we can then see KISS and Frank Carter for her and I can see Bokassa and Skindred for myself but Skindred and Bokassa were clashing so really we'd only have three bands we are excited for even if we can enjoy/mildly like some of the others acts playing that day.

I do find it odd that Metallica have been bigging up Bokassa as the next big thing so with a recommendation like that you'd think them opening the mainstage could draw some people even if they don't know them. They are solid live too and very charming with their stupid jokes/stories so they could have won the crowd over for those who don't know them.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:17 PM, BenG92 said:

Checking out Jinjer at Hellfest and that vocalist is pretty impressive live. I'd watch these. 

Given special permission by the Ukrainian government to tour which is obvs a big thing. Really Download should have them high up on main stage...like in the slot Amon Amarth did in 2019. 

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

FFDP were incredibly shite at Download Germany, i know they are huge and i used to like them a lot but i hope they don't sub nex year let alone headline

otherwise, i don't like Sabaton music but they did put a hell of a show right before Metallica

Yeah, Sabaton are completely not my bag but for a band that sounds like them to completely sell out Wembley ahead of time, in a country that historically hasn’t taken to their kind of music is incredible. They should absolutely play third down or headline Second at the earliest opportunity. 

Edited by Andre91

17 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

FFDP were incredibly shite at Download Germany, i know they are huge and i used to like them a lot but i hope they don't sub nex year let alone headline

otherwise, i don't like Sabaton music but they did put a hell of a show right before Metallica

I don't really get why FFDP got so big. Like I thought the first couple albums were ok. The bubble seems to be bursting in the UK though, don't really see anyone here talking about them anymore. Maybe that's just me thinking that though. But they deffo seem bigger in US and rest of Europe than here. 

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, Sabaton are completely not my bag but for a band that sounds like them to completely sell out Wembley ahead of time, in a country that historically hasn’t taken to their kind of music is incredible. They should absolutely play third down or headline Second at the earliest opportunity. 

Agree they should be 3rd down. Though can see them subbing one of the Metallica days if that rumour is true. 

Personally I'd do something like Metallica - Nightwish - Sabaton - Amon Amarth

That would be a really strong top 4.

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Download tweeted today early bird not on sale much longer. Normally they do headliners not long after early bird comes off sale right? 

First headliner is normally announced after the end of early bird, how long it takes for the others often depends. 

I couldn't go to the pilot and couldn't make this year so have deliberately avoided pretty much all festival news. FOUR DAYS WOW!!! Is that a one off for Covid/20th anniversary or a permanent change? I seem to remember a rumour a few years ago that there was a few bands who'd requested that they get their own day before the 'main festival' to put on their show in the past - AC/DC for one - so wondering if its a scenario like that? Edit: rumour on twitter is so Metallica can do two nights - presumably one night being their own gig you gotta pay more for and one night being the actual festival. 

That's gonna help a lot of with the usual utter boredom on the Thursday night where you're only choices seem to be the worlds shittiest rock bar or the comedy tent. 

Edited by willgooneday

4 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

AC/DC are now rumoured to do Hellfest next year

Metallica - BMTH - Metallica - AC/DC

My French isn't great (I used Google translate) but what the Hellfest bookers appear to be doing is expressing wishful interest in booking AC/DC. I think what they said translates as like 'if AC/DC call me tommorow I will discuss with them' or something in the context of saying how great it was that Metallica called saying they wanted to play. So not really a rumour at all. If anyone has a better translation please say! 

12 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Other nights will need to be incredibly strong or it's a day ticket for me. I don't really see the point of that tbh. 

It'll be about a 40/50 quid price increase for the extra day of music, even if you skip one of the Metallica shows it's great value rather than, like you said, wandering around shitty rock bars waiting for the next day. 

And yeah Slipknot are probably the most likely Sunday closers, I can't see a world where Corey isn't at the 20th Download.

Edited by BenG92

13 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Other nights will need to be incredibly strong or it's a day ticket for me. I don't really see the point of that tbh. 

It's 'tellica, people will love them being there two nights. They just need to make sure the second stage is actually on for once, one for the over crowding on the mainstage because it's 'tellica and two for the lot who are jaded with them can see someone else.

3 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

My French isn't great (I used Google translate) but what the Hellfest bookers appear to be doing is expressing wishful interest in booking AC/DC. I think what they said translates as like 'if AC/DC call me tommorow I will discuss with them' or something in the context of saying how great it was that Metallica called saying they wanted to play. So not really a rumour at all. If anyone has a better translation please say! 

That could be part of courting to get them, a few festivals talk about how much they want X act during the negations.

Has anyone seen Volbeat are doing an UK arena tour with Skindred and Napalm Death supporting. :)

6 minutes ago, jump said:

Has anyone seen Volbeat are doing an UK arena tour with Skindred and Napalm Death supporting. :)

Quality, cheers for that. Girlfriend will be happy after I played some Volbeat recently and she went gaga for it.

1 hour ago, justanothername said:

My main takeaway from Outbreak this year is they have to book Vein.fm next year. Never seen such relentless energy from a band before. Get them opening the main stage.

I went Jera on Air this weekend, saw Vein there and they were so intense. Got them on Wednesday too in Camden. 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

It'll be about a 40/50 quid price increase for the extra day of music, even if you skip one of the Metallica shows it's great value rather than, like you said, wandering around shitty rock bars waiting for the next day. 

And yeah Slipknot are probably the most likely Sunday closers, I can't see a world where Corey isn't at the 20th Download.

If Slipknot aren't playing he surely turns up lower down the bill with Stone Sour / as a solo artist? 

2 hours ago, jump said:

It's 'tellica, people will love them being there two nights. They just need to make sure the second stage is actually on for once, one for the over crowding on the mainstage because it's 'tellica and two for the lot who are jaded with them can see someone else.

That could be part of courting to get them, a few festivals talk about how much they want X act during the negations.

I for one would be happy to see 2 Metallica sets. They have so many songs to fit in anyway and like it's been mentioned it's better than the normal Thursday. If anything it's BMTH who absolutely need a band up against them on second. They are actively hated by a good chunk of the Download crowd. 

In terms of AC/DC who knows, but I doubt they will be at any European festivals next year. 

7 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

If Slipknot aren't playing he surely turns up lower down the bill with Stone Sour / as a solo artist? 

Slipknot announced on social media that their US dates later this year will be their last US ones 'for awhile' as they go and tour worldwide. If you look at their European tour this year it misses alot of the big festivals, apart from Wacken*, so they seem to be a favourite for Download, Hellfest, Copenhell etc next year.

*Which would make total sense if they are gonna do Rock AM/IM.