Download 2023

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Biffy on a new tour with Architects subbing. Weird combo. Might actually venture out to see them if the price is right. 

Maybe they are expecting to cross over more with metal fans after Download. I’m surprised Architects are willing to sub as they are a decent sized act.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

Maybe they are expecting to cross over more with metal fans after Download. I’m surprised Architects are willing to sub as they are a decent sized act.

Maybe how they'll justify charging whatever they do, I'm sure it won't be cheap. I'd go Biffy/Architects for cheap but expecting 90+

It occurred to me that Metallica doing Thurs and Saturday with BMTH on Fri makes alot of sense from a stage point of view. BMTH would probably be content to play on a main stage set up for Metallica (I suspect RATM or SOAD would as well). Whereas bands like Slipknot and Rammstein obviously would need the stage changed over night to their set up. Something that's probably a big factor in order of bands if Metallica are doing the 2 nights.

Also means the festival doesn't both open and close with Metallica which would be kind of a bummer even if you wanted to see both sets. 

More than anything I just want CHOICE and not to have the headliners play after everyone. Imagine if your options were a 3.5 hour GNR set or going back to the tent at 7pm. 

50 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Maybe how they'll justify charging whatever they do, I'm sure it won't be cheap. I'd go Biffy/Architects for cheap but expecting 90+

Tickets are very reasonable. They start at £36 in Brum. 

Edited by Andre91

18 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

It occurred to me that Metallica doing Thurs and Saturday with BMTH on Fri makes alot of sense from a stage point of view. BMTH would probably be content to play on a main stage set up for Metallica (I suspect RATM or SOAD would as well). Whereas bands like Slipknot and Rammstein obviously would need the stage changed over night to their set up. Something that's probably a big factor in order of bands if Metallica are doing the 2 nights.

BMTH have their own big stage show. They will be able to use it. 

9 hours ago, jump said:

Someone in the BCA group on Facebook mentioned that Architects only sold 3k tickets for First Direct Arena Leeds a few months back. Biffy will likely sell that arena out plus the others on the tour so it’s not completely surprising IMO. Give it a few years and I reckon Architects will also be a proper arena band.

Think it's pretty likely that we will be getting 2 Metallica headline sets like they did at festivals in the states last year. What do we reckon? 1 greatest hits set, 1 album set? Next year will be the 40th Anniversary of Kill Em All and 35th of And Justice For All. Would love to see either of those albums played

if the rumours about headliners are true:

Apex: METALLICA (hits set) / Ghost / Trivium

Opus: Limp Bizkit / Alexisonfire
___
Apex: BRING ME THE HORIZON / Architects / While She Sleeps

Opus: Alice In Chains / Stone Temple Pilots
___
Apex: METALLICA (Kill Em All Set) / Parkway Drive / Gojira

Opus: The Offspring / Papa Roach
___
Apex: GUNS N'ROSES / Alter Bridge / Halestorm

Opus: Lamb Of God / Behemoth

Apex and Opus headliners not clashing, Metallica and GNR with 2+ hour set

I would post this in the gig section of Glasto chat but I can't see many people there being interested in it. There are £4.95 tickets to see Mushroomhead on the link below. If you squint your eyes it's just like seeing Slipknot! 😜

https://sable.madmimi.com/c/19285?id=263225465.64411.1.f2dd03c6cb558b5b12a925e339842dc6

Edited by jump

6 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

in the US festivals that Metallica played twice the headliner of the day between actually played the second mainstage, would it be the same at DL? i can't imagine BMTH or whoever headlines Friday playing at Opus

All 3 are owned by the same guy/company so they might have made a big deal with them to hog the main stage. Can't imagine we'd see it here, as you say, BMTH would be pretty insulted to be not let on "Metallica's stage". 

11 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Checking out Jinjer at Hellfest and that vocalist is pretty impressive live. I'd watch these. 

Jinjer is another one of those hot new acts where instead of Download putting them on low mainestage so people can check out this new band people are talking about they will stick them on the tiny tent when they are up against the bigger names so no one will see them.

11 minutes ago, jump said:

Jinjer is another one of those hot new acts where instead of Download putting them on low mainestage so people can check out this new band people are talking about they will stick them on the tiny tent when they are up against the bigger names so no one will see them.

That is my biggest bugbear when it comes to Download, more so than the repetition of headliners. As the biggest rock/metal festival in the country, it’s their duty to give those bands help but they consistently don’t. It’s a massive failing on their part. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That is my biggest bugbear when it comes to Download, more so than the repetition of headliners. As the biggest rock/metal festival in the country, it’s their duty to give those bands help but they consistently don’t. It’s a massive failing on their part. 

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, that type of booking does work too. Babymetal were unkown to the West until Sonisphere booked them to open the mainstage and a few short years later they ended up playing Wembley.

It's not even as if Download are booking at least Brixton sized acts on the mainstage, alot of times it's these bands that have been around for years and look out of place on a big stage with no hope of ever moving up the line up.