Download 2023

4 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Turnstile could yet headline the Pit (sorry the FR) as there’s one band TBA.

On the subject of Idles in R+L, it’s strange that they haven’t played since they became big. The last time I can remember them playing was low down on the FR tent.

They we’re booked to play the cancelled  2020 though

Nah, Turnstile are back touring America after APE. 

Idles would have the been exact type of act R&L would book and become synonymous with but as they aren’t a sound cloud rapper they can’t be arsed booking them now.

Edited by jump

19 minutes ago, jump said:

Nah, Turnstile are back touring America after APE. 

Idles would have the been exact type of act R&L would book and become synonymous with but as they aren’t a sound cloud rapper they can’t be arsed booking them now.

IDLES are the exact kind of act that, at any other time, would have become an R&L house band. 

39 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah indeed, hopefully if that's the case Corey brings some interesting guests. He's had two of Mike Patton's bands before... 

Faith No More would be fantastic. Would also make sense as a Metallica sub.

33 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Has Knotfest ever happened at another fest? Always seems to be it's own thing. I don't know why it would be any different over here.

Yeah Hellfest 2019 though I believe it was an optional day people had to pay extra for. 

Slipknot just posted on Instagram and Facebook that their US tour dates this year will be their 'final US tour dates for awhile' as they 'expand' their tour 'across the world'.

So fully expect alot of European dates next year - feels like a festival run coming up.

Edited by Spiral_Low

14 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Slipknot just posted on Instagram and Facebook that their US tour dates this year will be their 'final US tour dates for awhile' as they 'expand' their tour 'across the world'.

So fully expect alot of European dates next year - feels like a festival run coming up.

Surely locked in for Download then? God, remember when they were talked about as an R&L headliner in 20/21/22 (can’t remember which year, I just remember it on the forums. Was manic).

1 minute ago, FeverDream said:

Surely locked in for Download then? God, remember when they were talked about as an R&L headliner in 20/21/22 (can’t remember which year, I just remember it on the forums. Was manic).

Feels like them and Metallica surely are. Which makes sense why both skipped UK with their European tour dates this year. 

7 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Feels like them and Metallica surely are. Which makes sense why both skipped UK with their European tour dates this year. 

If it’s Metallica x2, Slipknot and BMTH that’s a move in the right direction. No Aerosmith/KISS/Def Leppard/AC/DC type band headlining will surely rattle some of the older crowd. They’d better get used to it though…

Edited by FeverDream

24 minutes ago, jump said:

I mean Slipknot and KoRn at this point are dad rock but how come we are giving the even older Metallica a pass? 😜

Probably just because they have legendary status and haven’t headlined Download in what, almost 10 years now? 

While I do love Metallica, I'm still a firm's on the side of two nights is a bit overkill, I like variety when I'm at a festival. 

I'd probably only want to see one of the sets and go somewhere else on the other night.

Just checked some of the setlists when they played twice and tbh it's they aren't even playing great setlists. 

Edited by Xeph1995

11 hours ago, FeverDream said:

There is no chance that if Andy gets the chance to get Knotfest on the festivals 20th anniversary that he doesn't do it. He didn't get them on the 10th so.

The fact Slipknot haven't done a Knotfest show with the other European one's this year as well says a lot. I also think they've talked and decided that maybe they don't have the pull to do it here on the bigger scale themselves without a festival. They never sell out their Download day with a day full of bands so. Don't get me wrong, they are huge in their scene etc etc but there is selling an arena tour out over multiple dates at 15k each etc and then selling 50k in one go out.

I'm still inclined to go with Knotfest, BMTH, RATM and Metallica. Not going to lie though through personal preference I'd rather SOAD be where RATM are.

• Upvote 1

If it's Metallica, slipknot and BMTH I would be more than happy with that. At this point, booking Metallica will be a case of appeasing their demands (these double sets), or they'll simply do their own tour instead. 

Slipknot is overkill, but download have always recycled bookings quickly if it meant getting a lineup with huge headliners (2016, all 3 repeat bookings but huge ticket sellers). 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

There is no chance that if Andy gets the chance to get Knotfest on the festivals 20th anniversary that he doesn't do it. He didn't get them on the 10th so.

The fact Slipknot haven't done a Knotfest show with the other European one's this year as well says a lot. I also think they've talked and decided that maybe they don't have the pull to do it here on the bigger scale themselves without a festival. They never sell out their Download day with a day full of bands so. Don't get me wrong, they are huge in their scene etc etc but there is selling an arena tour out over multiple dates at 15k each etc and then selling 50k in one go out.

I'm still inclined to go with Knotfest, BMTH, RATM and Metallica. Not going to lie though through personal preference I'd rather SOAD be where RATM are.

The it’s sold out metric doesn’t really apply to Download. Download rarely if ever sells out even with stadium headliners.

Also the not sold out analysis is so boring anyway, it treats bands that have sold 98% of the venues tickets as the same as ones that has sold 21% as equals failures as it’s binary rather than allowing for shades of grey.

21 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

If it's Metallica, slipknot and BMTH I would be more than happy with that. At this point, booking Metallica will be a case of appeasing their demands (these double sets), or they'll simply do their own tour instead. 

Slipknot is overkill, but download have always recycled bookings quickly if it meant getting a lineup with huge headliners (2016, all 3 repeat bookings but huge ticket sellers). 

The major issue with Slipknot is that their last two bookings for too close together and they should have waited but that's Andy.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah it makes business and logistical sense tbh. Will be interesting to see how it is branded. I’m not well versed on the type of bands that tend to play Knotfest but hopefully it’s bands that don’t typically get booked for Download. Otherwise to me it isn’t Knotfest so to speak.

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah it makes business and logistical sense tbh. Will be interesting to see how it is branded. I’m not well versed on the type of bands that tend to play Knotfest but hopefully it’s bands that don’t typically get booked for Download. Otherwise to me it isn’t Knotfest so to speak.

It will be because its Download. It's Andy and Download so. If he can book and allow that set from Biffy Clyro last weekend he'll just do what gets the name Knotfest above the page and rename it the Knotfest stage for one year to replace 'Opus' lol.

7 hours ago, FeverDream said:

I think looking at where Slipknot aren't playing in Europe this year it may just be billed as them rather than Knotfest. Would expect them at Nova Rock, Rock AM/IM, Hellfest, Copenhell, Graspop etc too. 

Updated guess:

Thus: Metallica / Ghost / Halestorm

Fri: BMTH / Architects / Lamb Of God

Sat: Metallica / Sabaton / Machine Head

Sun: Slipknot / Cypress Hill / Gojira

Edit: Still expect to see Rob Zombie on the bill (new album came out in covid) and Alice In Chains who feel long overdue a return. Faith No More maybe as well if they return to touring. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, Xeph1995 said:

Guys you know what, I know you all laugh at old bands but cmon you can't deny no contemporary rock band is commanding this crowd.

https://youtu.be/-nOsqA5ArDk

I was down the front for that and surprisingly there was more room than further back, haha.

Awesome day. Metallica,Motley Crue, Queensryche and Black Crowes too.

14 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I think looking at where Slipknot aren't playing in Europe this year it may just be billed as them rather than Knotfest. Would expect them at Nova Rock, Rock AM/IM, Hellfest, Copenhell, Graspop etc too. 

Updated guess:

Thus: Metallica / Ghost / Halestorm

Fri: BMTH / Architects / Lamb Of God

Sat: Metallica / Sabaton / Machine Head

Sun: Slipknot / Cypress Hill / Gojira

Edit: Still expect to see Rob Zombie on the bill (new album came out in covid) and Alice In Chains who feel long overdue a return. Faith No More maybe as well if they return to touring. 

Yeah if Metallica are doing two sets then I can only see the other being Slipknot if BMTH are getting the bump up. Maybe Rage said no and SOAD aren't even going to be about. 

15 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Faith No More maybe as well if they return to touring. 

Much as I keep predicting (read: praying/begging) them, they had 6 cancelled UK dates in June this year. If they intend on honouring them at all in 2023 that might impact their chances of a DL appearance. That's even assuming Mike is okay next year as you say.

Just now, BenG92 said:

Much as I keep predicting (read: praying/begging) them, they had 6 cancelled UK dates in June this year. If they intend on honouring them at all in 2023 that might impact their chances of a DL appearance. That's even assuming Mike is okay next year as you say.

The gigs were outright cancelled though, not postponed

5 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

The gigs were outright cancelled though, not postponed

Sure, I'm saying FNM might want to honour those original 6 promised shows rather than sacrificing some to play Download - I'm not sure if it would have enough bearing on sales but their cancelled EU/UK tour was 6 small UK shows and then a ton of EU festival appearances. Not sure they'd get away with both

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah if Metallica are doing two sets then I can only see the other being Slipknot if BMTH are getting the bump up. Maybe Rage said no and SOAD aren't even going to be about. 

Yeah that's my thinking, just feels like it's gonna be them.

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

I think if they do come back then there's a fair chance of a summer festival tour followed by their own winter tour. Maybe with a few of their won warm up dates first.