Download 2023

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

What's the deal with co-headliners, do both sets get cut short due to this? 

Generally, that example I mentioned, Blink got 95 mins, Monkeys got 100. Then the coheads got 75 each. 

So yeah, but there were the same amount of bands on each day, it's more than QOTSA and Paramore weren't big enough to head on their own, which would still be the case at Download now IMO. 

Parkway/Architects split would look much better than just putting Parkway at the top for example

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

What's the deal with co-headliners, do both sets get cut short due to this? 

At R&L one headlines at Reading and the other at Leeds. At others fests it's just a way to dress up the sub as being bigger than just a sub like when I saw The Black Keys and Prodigy co-headline at IOW or The Cult & Alice Cooper who did it as a tour. I have been seen a few bands like Thrice & Refused rotate who's on last depending on who's the bigger act in that specific country. They will normally have the same set length though.

Every now and then you will see a headliner but then the band under them is a co-headliner despite the other band not having the tag. lol

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Yup. The headliner pool is small now and it will still be small in 10 years when Kiss, Aerosmith, Maiden, AC/DC etc are gone. It’ll be BMTH, Biffy, ADTR, Korn etc every 3 years! Can’t see them ever solving their headliner issue. The pool will always be small unless they broaden their scope and book bands like RHCP, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, whatever pop punk band is popular that year etc.

The past 5 line ups have only had 3 artists headline for the first time. 2 were Biffy and Muse who already established headliner status at other festivals and Ozzy which I feel like shouldn't count. In the same time frame Black Sabbath, Kiss and Ozzy have or will be "retiring". Linkin Park aren't probably going to return without Chester and it's debatable if The Prodigy would return to headline with Keith. Their headline pool is literally shrinking.

• Upvote 1

I don't really like co headliners. Always feels more like a marketing gimmick or a way to appease bands with how they are billed.

Not a festival but seen Terror twice on "co headline tours" with Converge and Knocked Loose but they've always played before them and got shorter sets. Just seem no reason to label it as a co headline show in that case.

Edited by justanothername

6 minutes ago, justanothername said:

The past 5 line ups have only had 3 artists headline for the first time. 2 were Biffy and Muse who already established headliner status at other festivals and Ozzy which I feel like shouldn't count. In the same time frame Black Sabbath, Kiss and Ozzy have or will be "retiring". Linkin Park aren't probably going to return without Chester and it's debatable if The Prodigy would return to headline with Keith. Their headline pool is literally shrinking.

I don't know how I feel about Linkin Park returning without Chester tbh, Ill always have soft spot for them and would have loved to have seem them but Chesters voice was so good and his stage presence was amazing. 

Alive in Chains are alright now with the new singer but they will never be what they where with Layne. 

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

It's okay as Deep Purple, The Who and Nickleback are gonna headline in 2024! Wooo!

10 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Linkin Park aren't probably going to return without Chester and it's debatable if The Prodigy would return to headline with Keith. Their headline pool is literally shrinking.

Think I've said it before but Linkin Park / Prodigy split show, tribute to Chester & Keith with guest vocalists 👀

It's a ridiculous idea but it'd go off

For what it's worth every single RIP early bird option is gone. Probably don't wanna shift too many cheap standard tickets either with that extra day. Really think we'll get at least the headliners and general sale much sooner than expected

31 minutes ago, jump said:

It's okay as Deep Purple, The Who and Nickleback are gonna headline in 2024! Wooo!

The scenes when Nickelback pull the biggest crowd ever with the cheesy sing alongs.. 

Download community in the mud. 

Edited by Xeph1995

33 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I don't know how I feel about Linkin Park returning without Chester tbh, Ill always have soft spot for them and would have loved to have seem them but Chesters voice was so good and his stage presence was amazing. 

Alive in Chains are alright now with the new singer but they will never be what they where with Layne. 

I checked before I made that post and they said they don't have any plans on new music or touring at the moment and I think it's going to stay that way forever.

34 minutes ago, jump said:

After Metallica headlining 2 nights proves to be a massive success they're gonna get Iron Maiden to headline all 3 nights.

11 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

The scenes when Nickelback pull the biggest crowd ever with the cheesy sing alongs.. 

Download community in the mud. 

I'm sure I read this somewhere but it was probably bullshit, that Corey selected Die Antwoord to sub them in '19 because he knew it would fuck people off. Corey selecting Nickelback as a sub for the same reason would be a very Corey thing to do.

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'm sure I read this somewhere but it was probably bullshit, that Corey selected Die Antwoord to sub them in '19 because he knew it would fuck people off. Corey selecting Nickelback as a sub for the same reason would be a very Corey thing to do.

Nickelback are the bigger band though. Slipknot wish they could support them on tour!

1 hour ago, Xeph1995 said:

What's the deal with co-headliners, do both sets get cut short due to this? Also like surely the band who ends the night is just the headliner it just seems a bit silly to me. 

I can't imagine many bands are thrilled to co headline, both QOTSA and Paramore could have done it on their own. 

Exactly - plus at L&R each cohead normally alternates, so each of them close a festival - can't really do that at DL.

I think what's more important than co-headliner thing is to actually build bands by giving them good main stage slots. Crazy that Spiritbox didn't have one this year.

It's not just Download's responsibility and it would help to have a one day fest once a year too, but still they could do more.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

I think what's more important than co-headliner thing is to actually build bands by giving them good main stage slots. Crazy that Spiritbox didn't have one this year.

It's not just Download's responsibility and it would help to have a one day fest once a year too, but still they could do more.

R&L despite being a teen pop festival where the line up looks like they have thrown some kind of 20 sided D&D dice to book it are good at that. If there's someone new and being talked about then they chuck them early on the mainstage plus new bands don't have a robust catalogue so them playing for 30-45 mins actually works for them unlike giving Bury Tomorrow a 30min slot. But Download is just shit at it largely due to them not having their finger to the pulse of the UK rock scene in general.

There's definitely a need for a day fest somewhere in this country. There were so many big bands touring Europe but decided not to play the UK this year they could have chucked something on at the last minute. Something after the schools have closed in late Jul/Aug away from Download so they can pick up other bands touring Europe they wouldn't have and not compete with them. Maybe APE will start booking heavier acts as they have tried before with Bring Me, jumped on Turnstile and Idles who I would have pegged as R&L must haves this year (especially as they would have fit under Rage) and they almost got NIN until Trent had another kid.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jump said:

R&L despite being a teen pop festival where the line up looks like they have thrown some kind of 20 sided D&D dice to book it are good at that. If there's someone new and being talked about then they chuck them early on the mainstage plus new bands don't have a robust catalogue so them playing for 30-45 mins actually works for them unlike giving Bury Tomorrow a 30min slot. But Download is just shit at it largely due to them not having their finger to the pulse of the UK rock scene in general.

There's definitely a need for a day fest somewhere in this country. There were so many big bands touring Europe but decided not to play the UK this year they could have chucked something on at the last minute. Something after the schools have closed in late Jul/Aug away from Download so they can pick up other bands touring Europe they wouldn't have and not compete with them. Maybe APE will start booking heavier acts as they have tried before with Bring Me, jumped on Turnstile and Idles who I would have pegged as R&L must haves this year (especially as they would have fit under Rage) and they almost got NIN until Trent had another kid.

Aye.

In terms on not having their finger on the pulse I think that's very true. 

In terms of a day fest obviously Knotfest UK was planned so maybe we will see that again. Late July/Aug would be spot on for it 

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Metallica / Knotfest / BMTH / Metallica wouldn't be bad at all

If the 'rumour' about Metallica and BMTH is true then Slipknot have gotta be up there as the other likely headliner. And they'd probs do the Thursday as Knotfest with Metallica Fri and sun. 

2 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

If the 'rumour' about Metallica and BMTH is true then Slipknot have gotta be up there as the other likely headliner. And they'd probs do the Thursday as Knotfest with Metallica Fri and sun. 

Yeah indeed, hopefully if that's the case Corey brings some interesting guests. He's had two of Mike Patton's bands before... 

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Has Knotfest ever happened at another fest? Always seems to be it's own thing. I don't know why it would be any different over here.

Corey absolutely loves Download. Might not have been feasible in the past for whatever reason but I wouldn't put it past him and Andy to have worked it out for 23

1 hour ago, jump said:

Turnstile could yet headline the Pit (sorry the FR) as there’s one band TBA.

On the subject of Idles in R+L, it’s strange that they haven’t played since they became big. The last time I can remember them playing was low down on the FR tent.

They we’re booked to play the cancelled  2020 though