Download 2023

55 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I hope BMTH are self aware enough to do their Malta thing at Download. All Sempiternal and earlier. Save TTS/Amo stuff for Leeds. New album is aight though. 

BMTH should (and will) do a normal BMTH set. There’s plenty of material post Sempiternal that will go down brilliantly at DL (Throne, Happy Song, Follow You, Mantra, Wonderful Life, everything from the last EP). 

It’s going to be a right party, their headline set. I’m excited already. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

BMTH should (and will) do a normal BMTH set. There’s plenty of material post Sempiternal that will go down brilliantly at DL (Throne, Happy Song, Follow You, Mantra, Wonderful Life, everything from the last EP). 

It’s going to be a right party, their headline set. I’m excited already. 

I'll take either but it being Sempiternal's 10th Anniversary I expect a good chunk from that at the very least. There is a Hell is also criminally underused live considering it was really the foundation for Sempiternal. 

I can't even remember the last time I saw them but it was a very different show back then, keen to check them out at Leeds.

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'll take either but it being Sempiternal's 10th Anniversary I expect a good chunk from that at the very least. There is a Hell is also criminally underused live considering it was really the foundation for Sempiternal. 

I can't even remember the last time I saw them but it was a very different show back then, keen to check them out at Leeds.

I wouldn’t expect them to play much more from Sempiternal than they usually do. There Is A Hell… is the forgotten record and it’s criminal. It’s by far their best work. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I wouldn’t expect them to play much more from Sempiternal than they usually do. There Is A Hell… is the forgotten record and it’s criminal. It’s by far their best work. 

Here's hoping they had fun doing the 3 tracks off it in Malta and give us a treat, either L+R soon or DL23.

Just remembered what the last show I saw was, Manchester 2011 with Parkway, Architects and TDWP. What a fucking bill that was. 

Just decided to give them a re listen and again I'm left scratching my head, each to their own I guess, I think the vocals are horrendous but that's probably because I don't like any of that wave of "core" music, no doubt they are big enough I just hope there's something good to go see on the second stage. 

Edited by Xeph1995

12 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Just decided to give them a re listen and again I'm left scratching my head, each to their own I guess, I think the vocals are horrendous but that's probably because I don't like any of that wave of "core" music, no doubt they are big enough I just hope there's something good to go see on the second stage. 

Its not as if I don't like the mixture of clean and harsh vocals, Opeth are one of my favourite bands for example I just can't get on board with it though. 

There's some BMTH I can't stand and some I adore, go figure. They've changed and grown so dramatically album to album that it's hard to pin them down. Some love none of it, some all of it, some only the old stuff, some only the newer. Very divisive band. My girlfriend is not convinced at all but I reckon she'll enjoy them more than she thinks lives after a few ciders.

Used to be massive BMTH fan when I was 16 but slowly grew off them to the point where I sort of written them off. Thought TTS was just ok and really didn't like Amo but Post Human Survival honestly brought me back. Such a killer EP and easily the best thing they've ever done. Would love to see them headline Download.

Edited by justanothername
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Used to be massive BMTH fan when I was 16 but slowly grew off them to the point where I sort of written them off. Thought TTS was just ok and really didn't like Amo but Post Human Survival honestly brought me back. Such a killer EP and easily the best thing they've ever done. Would love to see them headline Download.

Yeah, Post Human is amazeballs. I'm shocked they didn't keep going and make it a full album or just call it an album as it could quite easily be their Reigning Blood, Vulgar Display of Power, The Number of the Beast etc landmark album.

Pretty reasonable 20th anniversary guesstimate based on 2x Metallica + BMTH rumour. It's a rough one anyway I'm sure a few spots won't make sense realistically.

Hoping that his guess about a weak 4th headliner (Parkway/FFDP) is wrong.

Swap the first Metallica day for Slipknot if it's not them twice. 

DL23.PNG

Edited by BenG92

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Pretty reasonable 20th anniversary guesstimate based on 2x Metallica + BMTH rumour.

Hoping that his guess about a weak 4th headliner (Parkway/FFDP) is wrong.

Swap the first Metallica day for Slipknot if it's not them twice. 

DL23.PNG

Twisted Sister have split up and Code Orange really need to be on main stage imo.

Just now, jump said:

Twisted Sister have split up and Code Orange really need to be on main stage imo.

D'oh, kill that one then. 

Maybe Knocked Loose where Code Orange are and put CO low main. Kinda can't believe they were so low in 2017 months after that album hit, maybe the last one will do the trick.

If Metallica do play twice and they don't play Orion I will be sad, I've been waiting a long time to see then play it.

I was absolutely sure when I saw them at Sonisphere 14 by request I'd hear it but no for some reason people voted for Fuel and Whisky in the Jar... Anyway here's hoping. 

They have played Whisky in the Jar every gig for the last however long and it was still voted for.

Edited by Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

They have played Whisky in the Jar every gig for the last however long and it was still voted for.

I totally understand why so many people hate that cover, but it'll always be one of my greatest guilty pleasures in music. It's so cheesy and I love it.

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I totally understand why so many people hate that cover, but it'll always be one of my greatest guilty pleasures in music. It's so cheesy and I love it.

Nothing wrong with liking the song it's just so commonly played I feel like people kind of miss the chance to vote in deep cuts that don't often get played, we did get And Justice for All so not all bad!

Edited by Xeph1995

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

D'oh, kill that one then. 

Maybe Knocked Loose where Code Orange are and put CO low main. Kinda can't believe they were so low in 2017 months after that album hit, maybe the last one will do the trick.

I'd put Knocked Loose/Code Orange against Metallica and Sleep against BMTH but other than that looks reasonable.

46 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Have ZZ Top really not played since 2009? Feels like one to pull out of the bag for the Def Leppard crowd.

Dusty died last year, I don't think they will carry on without him and if they do it will be like Thin Lizzy, Sublime or Queen where it's kinda "what's the point?".

There's few old rockers who aren't regulars they could bring back and put on whilst Bring Me play. Alice Cooper (I've recently become a really hardcore fan of his and would probably see him over Bring Me), Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Journey, Billy Idol (he's actually pretty fun live), Status Quo, Scorpions etc.

Edited by jump

24 minutes ago, jump said:

Dusty died last year, I don't think they will carry on without him and if they do it will be like Thin Lizzy, Sublime or Queen where it's kinda "what's the point?".

There's few old rockers who aren't regulars they could bring back and put on whilst Bring Me play. Alice Cooper (I've suddenly become a really big fan of his and would probably see over Bring Me), Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Journey, Billy Idol (he's actually pretty fun live), Status Quo, Scorpions etc.

I think they're on a massive tour right now aren't they? I'll say this as a huge Sublime fan, their early shows with Rome were awesome, better than nothing at all - now that it's only the bassist maybe not so much. 

Always missed Cooper for other acts so yeah, why not. 

Oh and I had an absolute blast at Billy Idol 2010 in the pissing rain. 13 years later dunno how good he is but would definitely give it a go

Edited by BenG92

21 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I think they're on a massive tour right now aren't they? I'll say this as a huge Sublime fan, their early shows with Rome were awesome, better than nothing at all - now that it's only the bassist maybe not so much. 

Always missed Cooper for other acts so yeah, why not. 

Oh and I had an absolute blast at Billy Idol 2010 in the pissing rain. 13 years later dunno how good he is but would definitely give it a go

I saw Billy at IOW 5ish years ago (or whenever Prodigy, Fleetwood Mac and Blur headlined) and he was really good. I was making fun of the idea of seeing him (for his cheese music rather than his age) but he just proved I was wrong dickhead and would be up for seeing him again.