Download 2023

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Rock Werchter, seen enough live clips to feel confident in a good show for a first timer. Never seen Pearl Jam either so while that RW lineup is very stale for some it's awesome for me.

That is the complaint of Rock Werchter. They like to recycle lineups, last time I went... Metallica and Pearl Jam headlined. But enjoy, it's a great festival and if the dates fit I would be there this year! 

I would be happy with a Metallica double set at download but that's purely down to getting to see some deep cuts. Throw in BMTH and that would be great...guess this means Slipknot in 2024, so maybe stone sour in 2023.

40 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I really would be disappointed to see Metallica be playing twice, I've seen them 4 times and by request once as well, not to say I don't enjoy them but I think it's a bit of a lazy booking.

Would genuinely rather see Rammstein or Slipknot twice as they are still actually very good live. 

The better option is to just not book the same band at all and just have 4 different people playing, variety is the spice of life after all. 

Definitely a lazy booking, didn’t wanna be the first to say it! Tbh booking Slipknot as part of a Knotfest UK as some people have mentioned would seem kinda lazy too. It’s not like they don’t already play Download regularly, same with the bands that would likely support them, so how Knotfesty is it? I think having 4 days is a great opportunity to go the extra mile and book a new band or a band you haven’t had in a while.

Caught up on the forum gossip. If we take that Lee chap's word then it is 110% two nights of Metallica and one night BMTH/Architects sub.

The way he words the 4th implies it's a band that's played before but not headlined, and they would be a "weak headliner or strong sub". Faith No More? Judas Priest? 

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Is this from info or a guess?

Official forum, 7 year member that seems to be pretty respected there from what I can tell

10 minutes ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

Surely Ozzy is quite likely, saw his UK tour poster in the arena this year had a big gap during Download weekend

Ozzy is very unwell atm, I don't see him playing live again tbh and that's probably for the best. 

Edited by Xeph1995

5 minutes ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

Surely Ozzy is quite likely, saw his UK tour poster in the arena this year had a big gap during Download weekend

That's his farewell tour and it has been postponed for years even before the lockdowns. The dates are in the summer and he's not big enough to do his own tour and Download at the same time, plus he's in hospital at the moment. Touchwood he makes it out okay. 

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Caught up on the forum gossip. If we take that Lee chap's word then it is 110% two nights of Metallica and one night BMTH/Architects sub.

The way he words the 4th implies it's a band that's played before but not headlined, and they would be a "weak headliner or strong sub". Faith No More? Judas Priest? 

Official forum, 7 year member that seems to be pretty respected there from what I can tell

I don't think Judas Priest or Faith No More would be a headliner at all even as a weak headliner. Also I think Judas aren't allowed to play in the UK until they are done supporting Ozzy which they have been locked into for years now as the dates keep getting pushed back.

It's gonna be something naff like Whitesnake's last ever UK show.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

I don't think Judas Priest or Faith No More would be a headliner at all even as a weak headliner. Also I think Judas aren't allowed to play in the UK until they are done supporting Ozzy which they have been locked into for years now as the dates keep getting pushed back.

It's gonna be something naff like Whitesnake's last ever UK show.

Yeah, tend to forget that FNM aren't actually that big over here compared to Europe. 

Whitesnake would be fucking offensive given they were below Slash in 2019. No way it can be that bad, they're not even a strong sub. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I honestly think it'll be FFDP or maybe Parkway Drive. 

Yeah, either would fit the description. Can't say I'd be excited for a Parkway headliner even if I like them but they definitely fit "weak headliner strong sub". 

If it's either of those then it better be a stacked day overall, especially since Architects are already tied up subbing Bring Me in this scenario. 

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah, tend to forget that FNM aren't actually that big over here compared to Europe. 

Whitesnake would be fucking offensive given they were below Slash in 2019. No way it can be that bad, they're not even a strong sub. 

We got too carried away with the hype and forgot it's Download! 😜

The 4th is still up for debate as it could be a new weak headliner or that new weak headliner is actually just the same band subbing one of the days which leaves the 4th headliner open to being a Slipknot, SOAD, RATM, A7X or Def Leppard type band. The itk forum member said they weren’t sure if the 4th mentioned was a headliner or sub. 

Edited by foolee

14 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Can't wait for when it's announced that it's Def Leppard are headlining twice and not Metallica 

Hysteria - in full - again - twice! 

Someone on the forum just pointed out that Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison and Joan Jett are doing a stadium tour together. Minus Def Leppard I'd actually be happy with that, mrs is a big JJ fan.

Motley Crue would also perfectly fit the description of strong sub, weak headliner. 

Edited by BenG92

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Hysteria - in full - again - twice! 

Someone on the forum just pointed out that Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison and Joan Jett are doing a stadium tour together. Minus Def Leppard I'd actually be happy with that, mrs is a big JJ fan.

I'm surprised Joan doesn't tour the UK more often, it's been over 10 years since she last played here and that was only because Green Day booked her as their support with a few other dates around their off days. She would go down a storm at a festival as she is loads of fun live.

Best case scenario is Queens or Five Finger imo but I'm bracing myself for something naff like Whitesnake or Deep Purple.

4 hours ago, jump said:

The same rumour of it is Metallica x2 has the other headliner being Bring Me and there's either a new weak headliner or a very big sub but it's not Ghost. So there might be a Slipknot or Rammstein and this other band is subbing.

I wouldn't say the likes of Alter Bridge, Sabaton or Gojira would be a big sub as they are pretty standard subs imo so thinking outside the box I'm just gonna spit out names on who the 4th is could be even if some are shit/unlikely that I could see as weak headliner/strong sub. There's Nine Inch Nails, Fall Out Boy, Blink 182, Deep Purple, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age, Royal Blood, Thirty Seconds To Mars and anyone else?

Shit, it's gonna be Deep Purple isn't it?

Probably just people wildly speculating tbh. My thinking was that if they have a set of 'strong' headliners then they can try out a band like Sabaton as sub and see how it goes down. 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If Metallica are headlining two nights, I think it’s a safe bet we will get at least one new headliner as ‘Tallica will absorb a large proportion of the budget. 

I dunno the budget is hard to guage. This year's Download was 85,000 which is about average. But they can go up to over 110,000 and a strong set of headliners would probably get that. And that extra cash (plus what they make from food merch etc) would, I suspect, cover the extra headliner cost.

9 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

And that extra cash (plus what they make from food merch etc) would, I suspect, cover the extra headliner cost.

Not to mention tickets will be 300+ on general sale this time, and a lot will go purely because it's the 20th edition.

21 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm surprised Joan doesn't tour the UK more often, it's been over 10 years since she last played here and that was only because Green Day booked her as their support with a few other dates around their off days. She would go down a storm at a festival as she is loads of fun live.

Best case scenario is Queens or Five Finger imo but I'm bracing myself for something naff like Whitesnake or Deep Purple.

Shit, Green Day / JJ would basically be my mrs' ideal festival day. Why not.

Will have to listen to FFDP, last heard them at DL2010 where they got in trouble with the organisers, I think. I like their cheesy covers but don't really know anything past that. Must have done alright for themselves in the last 12 years for so many to mention them.

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Not to mention tickets will be 300+ on general sale this time, and a lot will go purely because it's the 20th edition.

Shit, Green Day / JJ would basically be my mrs' ideal festival day. Why not.

Will have to listen to FFDP, last heard them at DL2010 where they got in trouble with the organisers, I think. I like their cheesy covers but don't really know anything past that. Must have done alright for themselves in the last 12 years for so many to mention them.

They had Frank Turner open for them too that night. I'm not a massive fan of Green Day (everything since American Idiot is so boring) but they are one of the few bands I'd be willing to go to a stadium show for as they are so infectious live filling out the entire stadium. I've seen a few too many stadium acts not able to do that so now I'm reluctant to go to any staduim show anymore.  

Five Finger are a lot better live than on record imo, I rarely listen to but I've got any complaints about them as a live act.

Just now, jump said:

They had Frank Turner open for them too that night. I'm not a massive fan of Green Day (everything since American Idiot is so boring) but they are one of the few bands I'd be willing to go to a stadium show for as they are so infectious live filling out the entire stadium. I've seen a few too many stadium acts not able to do that so now I'm reluctant to go to any staduim show anymore.  

Luckily Green Day are very self-aware and almost entirely ignore their catalogue after American Idiot when playing live. Last show was 2 songs from Rev Radio and absolutely nothing from the other 4 newer ones. They know it's gash.

Does mean that they've basically been playing the same greatest hits show for ~15 years but it's a damn good one.