Download 2023

6 minutes ago, jump said:

My money is on Bring Me, Metallia, Slipknot and Rage.

If Bring Me can't headline when the fest is 4 days long then Download is fucked and will go the way of Monsters of Rock as irrelevant and outdated which needs dying off to let a better new hard rock fest takes it's place.

Yeah indeed, has to be BMTH or Ghost, shit maybe even Halestorm. Just bump SOMEBODY up for Christ's sake

Can anyone tell me how quickly RIP camping sells out on general sale? Is it one of those where I have to smash my keyboard at 9am and get lucky? Never gone RIP before. 

20 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Be very surprised if it was that big. My guess is the 4th day is a bump-up headliner like Ghost

See I would be surprised if they put themselves through the logistics of trying to sort out a 4th day and not putting a bigger band on then to try and entice more people to go to the festival for longer

10 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah indeed, has to be BMTH or Ghost, shit maybe even Halestorm. Just bump SOMEBODY up for Christ's sake

Can anyone tell me how quickly RIP camping sells out on general sale? Is it one of those where I have to smash my keyboard at 9am and get lucky? Never gone RIP before. 

I had pegged Halestorm to be taking a sub spot soon but their recent support slot on Alter Bridge's tour has got me thinking they will be more likely to stay around the 3rd down spot.

I saw them a few months ago on their "evening with" smaller venue tour and they were fucking brilliant. In a year where I've seen a few bands notorious for good live shows like The Flaming Lips, Alice Cooper, Run The Jewels, Arcade Fire, Tool, Idles, Ghost, The Killers, Frank Carter etc they have been the best gig I've gone to so far this year.

Thursday: SOAD / Alter Bridge / Disturbed

Friday: BMTH / Architects / Gojira

Saturday: Metallica / Ghost / Halestorm

Sunday: MCR / Pawkway Drive / Don Broco

Second Stage: Slash / The Offspring / Killswitch Engage / Sabaton

Edited by beetchez

Almost pulled the trigger on early bird RIP but nah, need to see who the 4 are. BMTH / SOAD / Metallica / RATM, something like that would be mega, but knowing my luck I'd get stuck with a £670 ticket for A7X / Aerosmith / GNR / Ozzy. 

It's a hard sell when you look at other festivals abroad and see what you can get for the same money. 

Slipknot, Bring Me The Horizon, My Chemical Romance & Rage Against The Machine. 

Had a great time this weekend. Weather was stunning, bar queues weren’t long at all and we were camped in a great spot. 

Malevolence were the highlight of the weekend for me. It’s wholesome af seeing them swell in size. Their crowd was massive and the band themselves smashed it. 

Other highlights include: Biffy (as always), ADTR, The Ghost Inside and KoRn. 

Deftones was disappointing as the sound was horrendous. 

My biggest complaint though is the music at the new and improved Doghouse / Village. Nobody, and I mean nobody, needs to hear Chop Suey, Misery Business or Psychosocial ever again. I heard each of those several times each night. Do better, Download. It was like ‘My First Rock Club’ every night. Absolute arse. 

How much were 5 nighters this year, £250? 

Considering it's looking likely to be about £300 this time - based on earlybird price of £268 - either that fourth night is gonna be incredible value or as someone else said above, the whole thing will be diluted to some degree. Wonder if they'll do something wild like 1 huge legacy act (Metallica or AC/DC) and then 3 newer headliners. Metallica / BMTH / Ghost / NIN or something.  

Just now, JimMacVeigh said:

I’ve been told Metallica are possibly locked in to headline, and Gojira and Killswitch Engage are both possibly at Bloodstock next year. 
Got a mate whose pretty well connected in the industry, that’s what he’s heard. 

I would be stunned if it wasn't Metallica next year. Makes too much sense. 20th anniversary, 40th anniversary of their studio work, over 10 years since they last played. 

14 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I would be stunned if it wasn't Metallica next year. Makes too much sense. 20th anniversary, 40th anniversary of their studio work, over 10 years since they last played. 

Yeah. They’ve probably gone full pelt to get ‘Tallica this time round. 

Ozzy Osbourne - Kid Rock - Phil Anselmo - Stryper - Alestorm

Def Leppard -  Foreigner - Skid Row - Poison - Saxon

Feeder - Smash Mouth - Metro Station - MxPx - Forever The Sickest Kids 

Nickelback - Creed - Puddle of Mudd - Crazy Town - Tokio Hotel

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Almost pulled the trigger on early bird RIP but nah, need to see who the 4 are. BMTH / SOAD / Metallica / RATM, something like that would be mega, but knowing my luck I'd get stuck with a £670 ticket for A7X / Aerosmith / GNR / Ozzy. 

It's a hard sell when you look at other festivals abroad and see what you can get for the same money. 

Nah not yet. Bugger it. I'm going to stick it out and just go for SOAD, RATM, Slipknot and Metallica. One main reason why I'm going this strong too is that I feel Slipknot if needed will do it for a lesser fee than usual because of their connection. I think it may be that same old story that if Andy has all those 4 acts available and they want to play then why wouldn't he book it. The telling point for SOAD will be as soon as they get announced for Nova Rock or something like that.

He will surely try and get Mudvayne too and Creed. Realistically as much as I'd rather not, it would be hard not to just go for the weekend for that. Pretty sure The Offspring will be back as well on second, it's Disturbed's turn to play again. Alter Bridge goes without saying.

Edited by thewayiam

Wishful thinking but for me the best possible line up would be,

SOAD/Rammstein/Slipknot/Metallica 

That would be the strongest set of headliners download has ever had in my humble opinion.

Rage would be better than Metallica I just don't see them doing download. 

Also bmth can stay in the bin please, dreadful band. 

Gojira/Ghost should be front of the que for next bands go headline.

Would like to see them try get Sleep to headline one of the tents, they seem to get Electric Wizard every other year so it would make a nice change, brings in the same crowd. 

Edited by Xeph1995

4 minutes ago, therefused said:

I’ve always liked the idea of doing some form of MainStage with just British bands, something like 

Bring Me The Horizon

Architects

Don Broco

Enter Shikari 

While She Sleeps

Creeper

Trash Boat

Wargasm

Loathe

Sounds like the perfect excuse to not visit the stage all day 😂

Edited by Xeph1995

14 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Would like to see them try get Sleep to headline one of the tents, they seem to get Electric Wizard every other year so it would make a nice change, brings in the same crowd. 

I love Sleep but the idea of missing most of a headliner at a £300 festival to watch a £15 band is wild to me, would have to be a Maiden situation where I could do both

Edited by BenG92

10 minutes ago, therefused said:

I’ve always liked the idea of doing some form of MainStage with just British bands, something like 

Bring Me The Horizon

Architects

Don Broco

Enter Shikari 

While She Sleeps

Creeper

Trash Boat

Wargasm

Loathe

Meh, sounds like tacky Brexit bollcoks. The British stage for British people with your MC Nigel Farage.

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I love Sleep but the idea of missing most of a headliner at a £300 festival to watch a £15 band is wild to me, would have to be a Maiden situation where I could do both

https://youtu.be/w5qmjNe7RVE

Sleep are deffo more than a £15 pound band (they have a larger cult following than most realise) and they also put on a hell of a set, if you check this out when they headlined a smaller stage at Hellfest, obviously not everyone would go but a select few (like me) would probably rather see them. 

Edited by Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

https://youtu.be/w5qmjNe7RVE

Sleep are deffo more than a £15 pound band and they also put on a hell of a set, if you check this out when they headlined a smaller stage at Hellfest, obviously not everyone would go but a select few (like me) would probably rather see them. 

They're a £15 band when it cost me £15 to see them last 😂 was a while ago though, can't even remember when. Again, love them, but the idea of missing half of, say, RATM to watch Sleep is just silly

IMO the Thursday lineup has to be huge/the strongest of the 4 days to offeset the cost of extending the liscence and all the extra costs that come with having an extra day to offset that extra cost.

With that in mind, I think either AC/DC or a Knotfest collaboration are likely.

As for the other 3, I'd hope they get a new headliner (BMTH), but I won't hold my breath. If there isn't a new headliner then I'd accept something like RATM, MCR and Metallica as it's been over a decade since any of them heave headlined.

4 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Tbh I'm a firm believer that Gojira and Ghost should get the bump before bmth, hellfest seems to the most successful alternative festival atm and download should look to follow. 

Hellfest only bumped up Ghost and Gojira as last minute replacements for Faith No More and Avenged Sevenfold though. Whilst they have smashed it this year their line ups aren't normally that strong, this was their last fest line up. Download would be fucking laughed at for putting Manowar as a headliner.

1543251560.webp

• Upvote 2