Download 2023

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Nah, they will be there soon enough. They’re better suited then King Giz. 

Do you not feel R&L might nab them? R&L have good form for picking the up and coming rock acts and Download don’t seem to get a look in a lot of the time. 

37 minutes ago, foolee said:

Do you not feel R&L might nab them? R&L have good form for picking the up and coming rock acts and Download don’t seem to get a look in a lot of the time. 

I think they will be regulars at both. They’re breaking through massively. I do think R&L will give them bigger slots, though. I can see them being mid Main Stage in 2023 whereas I think Download would put them in the tent.

I’ve gone for a ‘strong’ lineup for the 20th anniversary: 

MAIN: Slipknot / Trivium / Gojira / Killswitch Engage / Jinjer / FEVER 333 / Bloodywood

2nd: Don Broco / Billy Talent 

AVALANCHE: The Gaslight Anthem 

DOGTOOTH: Cannibal Corpse 

MAIN: AC/DC / Alter Bridge / Halestorm / The Pretty Reckless / Clutch / Avatar / The HU / Bokassa 

2nd: Behemoth / Meshuggah 

AVALANCHE: Turnstile 

DOGTOOTH: Testament 

MAIN: Rage Against The Machine / Limp Bizkit / Disturbed / Mudvayne / DevilDriver / Hatebreed / Body Count feat. Ice T / Bob Vylan 

2nd: Sabaton / Amon Amarth 

AVALANCHE: Asking Alexandria 

DOGTOOTH: Cradle of Filth 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foolee said:

I don't see the competition for Turnstile being just R&L, I can see them being regulars at Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees from now on and even the trendy fests like Glasto and All Points East have them this year.

32 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

MAIN: Rage Against The Machine / Limp Bizkit 

I know it's a dream pairing for alot of people but Limp Bizkit is the straw that broke the camel's back which caused Rage to break up orginally and Tim Commerford will still go off about how much he hates them still so I can't see that pairing ever happening myself.

23 minutes ago, jump said:

I don't see the competition for Turnstile being just R&L, I can see them being regulars at Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees from now on and even the trendy fests like Glasto and All Points East have them this year.

This is true. Could always take a headline spot at Slam Dunk next year instead of doing Download or R&L and return to Trees at some point. Slam Dunk will already have a relationship with them as they were booked on the Time & Space album but Download/R&L have the cash so it depends what they prefer. 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

MCR 2023? Or Reading + Leeds? 

Depends, if Metallica are doing their own dates it’ll be Download but if not then Download will be RATM, Metallica & Slipknot and MCR will do R&L. Probably depends where Paramore go as well as I can’t see R&L booking both Paramore and MCR

Edited by foolee

25 minutes ago, foolee said:

Depends, if Metallica are doing their own dates it’ll be Download but if not then Download will be RATM, Metallica & Slipknot and MCR will do R&L. Probably depends where Paramore go as well as I can’t see R&L booking both Paramore and MCR

I wouldn't rule it out, a few people said they wouldn't book Rage and Bring Me the same year. It depends if Paramore would be on the earlier finishing main stage or not as I couldn't see them both being on the main stage that closes the day.

Looking at Metallica's European 2022 dates it deffo feels like they are gonna come over 2023 and Download would make sense for them. As well as UK date, maybe 2 or 3 including Glasgow and Belfast, you'd expect to see Ireland, Sweden, Poland, maybe Austria and probably more German and Eastern European dates. I think they might do Download UK, Nova Rock, Rock AM/IM, Graspop as well as a few others. 

27 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Looking at Metallica's European 2022 dates it deffo feels like they are gonna come over 2023 and Download would make sense for them. As well as UK date, maybe 2 or 3 including Glasgow and Belfast, you'd expect to see Ireland, Sweden, Poland, maybe Austria and probably more German and Eastern European dates. I think they might do Download UK, Nova Rock, Rock AM/IM, Graspop as well as a few others. 

To be honest I don’t understand why ‘tallica (as well as Slipknot and a few other bands who are active in Europe) aren’t playing in the UK this year, the UK is the biggest market for bands in Europe and even if there wasn’t a festival free they can do a one day fest just for them like what Download are doing in Germany. Fuck Hellfest basically decided to do two festivals this year as there were so many bands playing.

11 minutes ago, jump said:

To be honest I don’t understand why ‘tallica (as well as Slipknot and a few other bands who are active in Europe) aren’t playing in the UK this year, the UK is the biggest market for bands in Europe and even if there wasn’t a festival free they can do a one day fest just for them like what Download are doing in Germany. Fuck Hellfest basically decided to do two festivals this year as there were so many bands playing.

Well I'm guessing it's cuz they have Download UK (and maybe Knotfest?) next year. 

Also possible factor - I was chatting to a guy I know the other day (bumped into him in a well known metal bar) whose in a UK based metal band. He was saying a lot of bands have struggled with logistics particularly tour buses this year. Said the prices for tour buses this summer were double standard price. So I think that's why alot of bands have postponed till next year. I know Karnivool posted that they wouldn't be able to take the financial hit if any of their dates got postponed cuz of covid too, so again decided to wait 

Edited by Spiral_Low

On 5/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, Spiral_Low said:

Well I'm guessing it's cuz they have Download UK (and maybe Knotfest?) next year. 

Also possible factor - I was chatting to a guy I know the other day (bumped into him in a well known metal bar) whose in a UK based metal band. He was saying a lot of bands have struggled with logistics particularly tour buses this year. Said the prices for tour buses this summer were double standard price. So I think that's why alot of bands have postponed till next year. I know Karnivool posted that they wouldn't be able to take the financial hit if any of their dates got postponed cuz of covid too, so again decided to wait 

That's a fair point about tour buses. Slipknot and Metallica did seem to announce their Euro tours later than the other mega bands who are about so maybe all the deluxe XXL tours buses are already booked and Lars refuses to go in a standard coach. 

1 hour ago, Trudy said:

Does anyone know what the dates will be for Download 2023?  Booking a weekend away for June and don't want it to clash!

Happy to be corrected but I think, the vast majority of the time it's the 2nd full weekend in June, sometimes (2013, 2019) the 3rd. 

Either way if you book your weekend off on the first or last weekend you should be safe! 

Edited by BenG92

24 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Happy to be corrected but I think, the vast majority of the time it's the 2nd full weekend in June, sometimes (2013, 2019) the 3rd. 

Either way if you book your weekend off on the first or last weekend you should be safe! 

Fantastic yes I'm going for the last week to be on the safe side! Thank you.

15 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Was looking back at the 2010 Clashfinder and almost forgot about AC/DC not only bringing their own stage, but only playing after every single other band had finished. If you can flex it, flex it, I guess. 

Yeah, it's because they wanted to film the gig so they didn't want to risk having other bands playing bleed into the recording.

I do remember some of the old Download faithful defending it as it means there's actually 4 headliners including Them Crooked Vultures which is bit silly when they could of jusr said it's fucking AC/DC, why wouldn't you be seeing them. lol