Download 2023

On 4/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, BenG92 said:

New Rammstein today, it's good although nothing stuck out on the first listen. Still think they're a solid contender for 2023, will have been 5 (festival) years. 

Yup...and given the tour they have booked for this summer was actually booked for the last album they will effectively be touring 2 albums at once. Logical step after this arena tour is a festival tour.

1 hour ago, beetchez said:

"Next year is essentially our 20th year so we wanted to do something a little bit special. All I can say is that it will be very, very exciting." - Copping.

The lineup:

5654567.jpg

The Wildhearts have broke up again a few months ago.

I got a feeling they were gonna break up after seeing a few comments from Ginger about others in the band not understanding depression, the short set at Pilot, how he asked to not be involved in the money side of things to avoid internal arguments which didn't work and how he's not missed touring so I got tickets to see them on their last tour and they were great that night.

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

No Rammstein next year. Here are there dates

Jun 12: Belfast Ormeau Park, UK
Jun 16: Glasgow Hampden Park, UK
Jun 21: London Wembley Stadium, UK

I had a feeling more tour dates were likely for next year rather than Download and specifically London as they haven't played in London for over a decade now and they were selling out these smaller UK stadiums for the last few years but I was guessing somewhere like Emirates or London Stadium rather than Wembley.

At least it's not MK again, Milton Keynes is a miserable place and I didn't like the pressure of making sure to get the train on time as all of the hotels and green coaches were booked already.

Edited by jump

9 hours ago, beetchez said:

"Next year is essentially our 20th year so we wanted to do something a little bit special. All I can say is that it will be very, very exciting." - Copping.

The lineup:

5654567.jpg

You almost can't see SOAD and Slipknot not being there. It's who the 3rd is, they'll mark is with the 'special' tag of the giants of nu metal at Download or something.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

No Rammstein next year. Here are there dates

Jun 12: Belfast Ormeau Park, UK
Jun 16: Glasgow Hampden Park, UK
Jun 21: London Wembley Stadium, UK

Am I missing something as to why this rules them out..? They're in the UK for June, if anything this makes them incredibly likely unless I'm not seeing something obvious 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Am I missing something as to why this rules them out..? They're in the UK for June, if anything this makes them incredibly likely unless I'm not seeing something obvious 

Download would only let a headliner do a warm up show (or glastonbury as it's already sold out) . No chance they allow a band to do stadiums taking away the demand for download. Why would anyone travel to download when London and Glasgow are probably easier for the majority of the population. 

15 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Their European tour covers all of June but as Muppetmark said a stadium tour is alot of tixs to shift and it wouldn’t benefit either Download or Rammstein by competing with each other.

Yeah, guess that makes sense from an event booker POV. I personally would still pay for a DL day ticket to see headliner + X more bands rather than stepping foot in London every single time given the choice. More than likely works out cheaper for much more music, but more because it makes the weekend as a whole more appealing with them headlining.

If that's true then we're already down one semi-interesting booking for 23 😔

19 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Real shame Rammstein doing stadiums but oh well.

I think Download is gonna be SOAD, Slipknot and Metallica. With Ghost, Disturbed and Halestorm subbing. But maybe Alter Bridge as a sub and one of those headlining 2nd. 

My money is still on Rage, Slipknot and Metallica. As long as plans haven't changed Rage are touring Europe early summer next year and I can see Download going in for them hard and there's not another big festival that is suitable for them in the UK although I'd love for FR to do a Finsbury Park show just like they did with Queens Of A Stone Age a few years ago.

I would have pegged Halestorm to be moving to a sub spot too but them agreeing to support Alter Bridge on their UK tour this year has changed my mind. They were fucking fantastic on their evening with tour a few months ago, it's between them and Arcade Fire as my gig of the year so far.

55 minutes ago, jump said:

My money is still on Rage, Slipknot and Metallica. As long as plans haven't changed Rage are touring Europe early summer next year and I can see Download going in for them hard and there's not another big festival that is suitable for them in the UK although I'd love for FR to do a Finsbury Park show just like they did with Queens Of A Stone Age a few years ago.

I would have pegged Halestorm to be moving to a sub spot too but them agreeing to support Alter Bridge on their UK tour this year has changed my mind. They were fucking fantastic on their evening with tour a few months ago, it's between them and Arcade Fire as my gig of the year so far.

I would love if it was those 3.

In terms of Halestorm I was surprised as well but it does make sense to try and win new fans. Alter Bridge are one of those bands I think have a big following amongst the more casual rock fans so I guess Halestorm figure they can target them.

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

Pretty out there idea, but Danny Elfman?

I done see it myself, his original band was more new wave than rock and when he plays his film scores it’s normally at venues like Wembley which would be a big slot at Download for someone that would only be lukewarmly received by the crowd.

3 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Real shame Rammstein doing stadiums but oh well.

I think Download is gonna be SOAD, Slipknot and Metallica. With Ghost, Disturbed and Halestorm subbing. But maybe Alter Bridge as a sub and one of those headlining 2nd. 

I'd go with SOAD, RATM and Slipknot. Ghost, Alter Bridge and Motley Crue subbing. Halestorm , Gojira and Disturbed 3rd down. 

The Offspring, B4MV and Rob Zombie Zippo Stage

Edited by thewayiam

29 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

I'm going to dare-to-dream, and be damned for it.

40th anniversary of Kill 'Em All.

Well when 'tellica did the 20th anniversary of the black album at Download they did it 21 years after it's release you need to wait an extra year.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:44 PM, thewayiam said:

I'd go with SOAD, RATM and Slipknot. Ghost, Alter Bridge and Motley Crue subbing. Halestorm , Gojira and Disturbed 3rd down. 

The Offspring, B4MV and Rob Zombie Zippo Stage

Could see that. And would be ok with it. But it does feel time is right for Metallica to come back. 

14 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Could see that. And would be ok with it. But it does feel time is right for Metallica to come back. 

It's been time for them to return for ages though. The thing that also stops me from putting them there is that they did the 10th Anniversary. I would probably attend it. I think Zippo will close early for RATM too. I don't see any chance that Download don't go for Rage and Slipknot is looking ever more like Knotfest at Download, it's certainly too late to announce a date here now.

I'd rather SOAD did their own dates but I just don't see it.