Download 2023

3 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

Machine Head are not playing festivals. Or something changed in a meantime?

They are touring with other bands again. But that isn't what would stop them, it's the fact that Robb Flynn called Anselmo out.

Edited by Spiral_Low

2 hours ago, Jrose said:

Parkway are nowhere near download headline status even on a 4th day. BMTH would be much more likely. parkway might get 3/4th on main or headline/sub second stage at best. Still hearing it is rage against the machine not BMTH though

Putting asides arguments about Parkway Drive (I deffo don't think they are as good as others on here do), has your source indicated an announcement date? 

Copping has mentioned stuff about going for it (which does make it sound like it doesn't try other years lol) and going to have surprises and Machine Head are probably the biggest non-headlining act I can think of that would get people excited especially as they seem more cooperative in recent years so it's not as much as a long shot as it once was even if it is still unlikely. Of course he could be talking about Pantera but there's a lot of eww with this reunion though even if it does bring in a load of Southern cross wearing fans just for them.

A huge Machine Head set on 2nd as an alternative to Metallica one night would be class. 

Buuuuut... we have to remember a big part of why Rob said he disliked playing festivals in the first place. The weather. And Download is not exactly famous for its good weather despite a lucky 2022. Machine Head may be playing festivals again but a soggy England one may not fit their bill. 

Edited by BenG92

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

A huge Machine Head set on 2nd as an alternative to Metallica one night would be class. 

Buuuuut... we have to remember a big part of why Rob said he disliked playing festivals in the first place. The weather. And Download is not exactly famous for its good weather despite a luck 2022. Machine Head may be playing festivals again but a soggy England one may not fit their bill. 

They wouldn't clash MH with Metallica, you mad man! 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

They wouldn't clash MH with Metallica, you mad man! 😂

Oh I don't think they would, I'd just love it as an option and I actually wanna see BMTH and probably whoever the 4th is! I like Metallica plenty but I really, really hope there's an alternative on one/both of their nights if everything is true

55 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Oh I don't think they would, I'd just love it as an option and I actually wanna see BMTH and probably whoever the 4th is! I like Metallica plenty but I really, really hope there's an alternative on one/both of their nights if everything is true

Before you get your hopes up for a decent second stage alternative you need to hope they actually have the headliners playing at the same time first. 

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

....you do know it will be 2 different sets from Metallica right? 

10 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I do, that doesn't mean I necessarily want to see both rather than seeing one and a different band though - depends what the options are! 

Just now, BenG92 said:

I do, that doesn't mean I necessarily want to see both rather than seeing one and a different band though - depends what the options are! 

Haha was just checking. I strongly suspect they won't clash anyone on second with Metallica though maybe someone on 3rd or 4th. I suspect*if* it's BMTH they have Rob Zombie up against them. 

5 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yep, one is likely to be that classic album in full which has hit a big milestone St Anger for its 20th anniversary. Who would want to miss that! 😜

17 minutes ago, FWMLAG said:

Wonder if the Sunday ''weak headliner, strong sub'' is Parkway Drive with Pantera subbing

I don't get where this has come from tbh. After reading stuff on here I looked through the official forums and that Lee person the rumour came from said they literally have no idea who the 4th headliner is. When people were asking bands like RATM or GNR they were like could be!

1 minute ago, Spiral_Low said:

I don't get where this has come from tbh. After reading stuff on here I looked through the official forums and that Lee person the rumour came from said they literally have no idea who the 4th headliner is. When people were asking bands like RATM or GNR they were like could be!

Because that info wasn’t broadcast publicly, it was stated in a DM. 

4 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Ah I see. Sounds a bit odd tbh. What was the context?

I asked about the fourth headliner and he said he wasn’t sure because it wasn’t made clear if this band were subbing or headlining and they’d make a strong sub but a weaker headliner. 

45 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

If it is a 'Knotfest' at Download situation perhaps confusion over Parkway Drive is that they are topping the 'Download' section of it? Maybe headlining 2nd stage? And the main stage is becoming 'Knotfest' for the day?

Just speculating. 

Don't think so, that just makes them 2nd stage heads - my guess is just that Lee heard Parkway are playing but wasn't sure whether it was head or sub. I'm sticking with Slipknot with Parkway sub on the Sunday to close it out.