Download 2023

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Thing is, he doesn’t even need to have the balls to have three/four new headliners all at once - just one every couple of years along with two of the old dinosaur acts. 

The fact is that metal bands these days just aren’t gonna reach the same levels as the likes of Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold from the 00’s (and the rest from the 90’s/80’s) because metal just isn’t making the same waves in the mainstream as it once was, but for a strictly metal festival to not even try and step in and create headliners of its own is so dumb. I know metal fans are notoriously closed minded when it comes to this stuff and a lot would be happy to just have the same seven acts in rotation, but just having one of those acts you mention step up every couple of years would sort out both a headliner drought in the long run and the problem of unoriginality in the short term. Them not getting BMTH to do it after That’s the Spirit will always be a huge fuck up on their part.

I'm not a huge fan and even I agree with That's The Spirit part. It was the album to took most to of theirs. 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Thing is, he doesn’t even need to have the balls to have three/four new headliners all at once - just one every couple of years along with two of the old dinosaur acts. 

The fact is that metal bands these days just aren’t gonna reach the same levels as the likes of Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold from the 00’s (and the rest from the 90’s/80’s) because metal just isn’t making the same waves in the mainstream as it once was, but for a strictly metal festival to not even try and step in and create headliners of its own is so dumb. I know metal fans are notoriously closed minded when it comes to this stuff and a lot would be happy to just have the same seven acts in rotation, but just having one of those acts you mention step up every couple of years would sort out both a headliner drought in the long run and the problem of unoriginality in the short term. Them not getting BMTH to do it after That’s the Spirit will always be a huge fuck up on their part.

Yeah and it's gonna be a harder and harder for them to do that the longer they leave it too. Having someone like Ghost (or whoever) is an easier sell when it's between acts like Rammstein or Slipknot but those are acts that have now started to do their own massive shows and you can't always count on having two mega names like a Metallica, Iron Maiden or Guns n Roses to be around so imagine trying to sell Ghost in a year when the other headliners are Def Leppard and KISS. 

I suppose there's a few ifs, buts and maybes like the talk of maybe getting Foos, Blink 182 or Green Day one day, hoping for more reunions like Rage Against The Machine, Aerosmith (look at how fucking long that lasted lol) or My Chemical Romance and I can see a few acts that aren't the most METALZ which might work like Nine Inch Nails, Royal Blood or Queens Of The Stone Age headline but in general the future isn't looking rosy.

15 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Second this. They’d absolutely kill it man, I don’t want to hear this argument that they aren’t ‘real metal’. Needs to happen 

Definitely. If Biffy Clyro can headline Download then there is no arguement that BMTH can. The former are very closely approaching and pop band and aren't doing it the best. 

Just to be a contrarian shit stirrer, here's why Bring Me can't headline 😛

unnamed-4.jpg

They were actually great that day and the line up with While She Sleeps, Architects, IDLES, Run The Jewels and Nothing But Thieves was strong as fuck but Never Not Nothing (known at the time as Black Futures) who played for 20mins was properly the most fun band I saw.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, FloorFiller said:

I know metal fans are notoriously closed minded when it comes to this stuff and a lot would be happy to just have the same seven acts in rotation, but just having one of those acts you mention step up every couple of years would sort out both a headliner drought in the long run and the problem of unoriginality in the short term. 

Deftones should be headlining Download at this point. They're headlining Hellfest, Inmusic, Ressurection and more next year, should have been them instead of Biffy on the Download Sunday. Give them a 1:45 set and let them really flex, they've got 9 albums to draw from by now. A lot of people will always go see whoever is headlining regardless of who it is, less so for 2nd bands. 

31 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Deftones should be headlining Download at this point. They're headlining Hellfest, Inmusic, Ressurection and more next year, should have been them instead of Biffy on the Download Sunday. Give them a 1:45 set and let them really flex, they've got 9 albums to draw from by now. A lot of people will always go see whoever is headlining regardless of who it is, less so for 2nd bands. 

i know download doesn't have co-headline sets but it would be a way to bump bands like them. put korn and deftones to co-headline a day with bot 1h30 sets

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Definitely. If Biffy Clyro can headline Download then there is no arguement that BMTH can. The former are very closely approaching and pop band and aren't doing it the best. 

Listen to the 2 new Biffy singles, they’re nowhere near a pop band😉 I agree about BMTH though, they’re more than capable and it’s shocking they haven’t been given the bump yet (same goes for R&L).

5 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Listen to the 2 new Biffy singles, they’re nowhere near a pop band😉 I agree about BMTH though, they’re more than capable and it’s shocking they haven’t been given the bump yet (same goes for R&L).

I'll listen to the other one and the rest of the album. I've listened to, The Hunger in your Haunt. It's okay like but it's not raising any bars is it. Maybe they will save themselves a bit on this one. Not strictly a pop band, just bad at trying to be one 😜. Their best rock sound is far from new now.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I'll listen to the other one and the rest of the album. I've listened to, The Hunger in your Haunt. It's okay like but it's not raising any bars is it. Maybe they will save themselves a bit on this one. Not strictly a pop band, just bad at trying to be one 😜. Their best rock sound is far from new now.

So does all music have to ‘raise bars’? Don’t you like Rise Against? 

50 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

So does all music have to ‘raise bars’? Don’t you like Rise Against? 

In fact, other than very few exceptions,just about every band in history haven’t raised the bar every time they release a new album.

There are not many bands around whose best album is their latest release rather than something from their back catalogue.

3 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

In fact, other than very few exceptions,just about every band in history haven’t raised the bar every time they release a new album.

There are not many bands around whose best album is their latest release rather than something from their back catalogue.

Yeah, there are very few bands who continually get better and better with each release.

Code Orange are one of the best few bands who have indeed ‘raised the bar’ in recent years. 

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

In all fairness, Space is a guilty pleasure of mine - great pop song! But I completely get where you’re coming from. Shame they didn’t play more songs from their first 3 albums when they did Download I 2017 as it might’ve changed some peoples opinions about them.

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Anyone who says that Biffy are a pop band have either not listened to Biffy properly or not listened to pop for a while.

At Reading they sounded like Slayer compared to the rest of the main stage line up haha.

Did you see the Reading lineup this year lol, saying that Biffy sounded rocky compared to most doesn't need to actually be confirmed lol.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

In all fairness, Space is a guilty pleasure of mine - great pop song! But I completely get where you’re coming from. Shame they didn’t play more songs from their first 3 albums when they did Download I 2017 as it might’ve changed some peoples opinions about them.

Haha, well I did say pop 😛

4 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yes but one of these bands being mentioned about is topping an event and the other band are playing much further down. I don't really need to question a band that aren't outputting as good as their best when they aren't moving up lineups.

18 hours ago, justanothername said:

Bring Me the Horizon were phenomenal tonight. It's criminal how they haven't headlined Download or R&L yet. 

My 15 year old cousin went, his first arena show, he loved it - I haven't listened to BMTH since they were a deathcore band, no opinion on their newer stuff yet but it blew my mind that they're basically a completely different band now - they didn't play one thing from their first 3 albums - and they're selling out arenas. Crazy that they've captured a whole new generation with a totally different sound. 

21 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

My 15 year old cousin went, his first arena show, he loved it - I haven't listened to BMTH since they were a deathcore band, no opinion on their newer stuff yet but it blew my mind that they're basically a completely different band now - they didn't play one thing from their first 3 albums - and they're selling out arenas. Crazy that they've captured a whole new generation with a totally different sound. 

Same here, it's crazy how good live they are now. I saw them at Reading in 08 when they were all shouting "wE wILl NEvEr sLEepZ" but as they were a list min replacement for both Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold they were half-heartedly bottled. They didn't really impress me so I never paid much attention to them afterwards, I'd hear a new song every know and then so I was aware of the change of sound. Then a few years ago I was offered a chance to see them at the VIP lounge at The O2 with a free bar so fuck it I like booze and went. They were fucking brilliant with how good they were, I wouldn't say I am a fan but I've seen them since and will probably see them again as they are a legit great live act.

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Did you see the Reading lineup this year lol, saying that Biffy sounded rocky compared to most doesn't need to actually be confirmed lol.

Haha, well I did say pop 😛

That was my point. When you put Biffy up against actual pop bands, like the Reading line up, it’s quite clear that they aren’t a pop band.

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

That was my point. When you put Biffy up against actual pop bands, like the Reading line up, it’s quite clear that they aren’t a pop band.

They are a lot more poppy than they were. That new unamed 1 song, it isn't rocky is it.

And to be fair, much of Reading is turning more rap and grime. The Vaccines would sound rock there now.

Reading and Leeds have literally looked at the Wireless lineup sellouts over the years and how well Parklife does and gone by that. 

Yet, they sold out in 2019 with a day of 4 rock bands at the top.