Download 2023

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Gonna be funny in 5-10 years when Def Leppard, Kiss, Aerosmith, Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, SOAD, Guns N Roses etc all don’t exist anymore and Download finds itself absolutely fucked due to only promoting a single act up to headliner every five years. 

That’s when they will start using hologram headliners and it will still be Def Leppard and KISS headlining.

16 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I mean Live Nation would laugh in your face if you tried to convince them Download 2023 would sell 80,000+ tickets with Ghost and FFDP headlining but whatever. 

Thanks, Mr Live Nation.

They should both be headlining the next time they play, without question. Anyone who says they shouldn’t must actively want Download to die a death within the next decade. It’s utterly ridiculous that people are still trying to discredit bands like those two as being ready to step up and headline. Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

Ghost / Evanescence / Disturbed

Metallica / Trivium / Volbeat

Rage Against the Machine / Whichever normal sub they haven't used for 2022 / Run the Jewels

You are putting a band to pay 3rd who are already played 3rd next year. This is what we want to avoid lol. I like your Friday run though

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Gonna be funny in 5-10 years when Def Leppard, Kiss, Aerosmith, Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, SOAD, Guns N Roses etc all don’t exist anymore and Download finds itself absolutely fucked due to only promoting a single act up to headliner every five years. 

I just don't get why when a new festival needs much more than Download trying something new every other year to kick them off. Like there is no middle ground, it's either they try, they go all out something new or just nothing. And some of who they have booked, yes if they are fresh with new albums but are they really 'Download' bands. People can question that but you can say any band with a new album to promote can't be moaned at for a booking in that case.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

I mean Live Nation would laugh in your face if you tried to convince them Download 2023 would sell 80,000+ tickets with Ghost and FFDP headlining but whatever. 

I agree in part with but they would definitely need to be booked separately with two stronger options. RATM for one is that kind of option. Metallica if they ever play Download again would be another.

Just booking Ghost would be a right step. It's insane that one of the white-hot rock acts of the last few years hasn't played in ages just like Slaves, Architects, Nothing But Thieves, Bring Me The Horizon etc and it's adding to Download becoming more like Monster's Of Rock powered on the fumes of Dad Rock instead of being the big UK rock fest in touch with the actual scene. Chances are when they finally do play it will be like Biffy headlining where they waited too long to do it and it loses some buzz to become abit of a boring booking compared to when they were shit hot.

I'm sure I said all this another thread at least once before and it does get boring to complain about it but it's still not as boring as Download's line ups.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Just booking Ghost would be a right step. It's insane that one of the white-hot rock acts of the last few years hasn't played in ages just like Slaves, Architects, Nothing But Thieves, Bring Me The Horizon etc and it's adding to Download becoming more like Monster's Of Rock powered on the fumes of Dad Rock instead of being the big UK rock fest in touch with the actual scene. Chances are when they finally do play it will be like Biffy headlining where they waited too long to do it and it loses some buzz to become abit of a boring booking compared to when they were shit hot.

I'm sure I said all this another thread at least once before and it does get boring to complain about it but it's still not as boring as Download's line ups.

The only person who actually claims now that Download is the superior UK Rock festival still is Copping unfortunately. And it's not as if Reading can claim that now either with a Parklife/Wireless lineup.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The only person who actually claims now that Download is the superior UK Rock festival still is Copping unfortunately. And it's not as if Reading can claim that now either with a Parklife/Wireless lineup.

So what is the big UK rock fest then if it's not Download? You're making the arguement it is the big one whilst also saying it's not.

4 minutes ago, jump said:

So what is the big UK rock fest then if it's not Download? You're making the arguement it is the big one whilst also saying it's not.

My point is, it's the only one now by default. It's a metal and classic rock festival with the odd rock act in there. It's not the premier rock festival because if what the booking team pull out each year etc, it's the repeated option because there is nothing else. I mean Reading have had Metallica more in the last 15 years and that should be about as Download as it gets. Reading also manage to get the reunion bands before Download do.

1 minute ago, gabrielomachado said:

if copping had the balls

GHOST / Sabaton / Trivium

Disturbed

____

BRING ME THE HORIZON / Architects / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes

Sabaton

___

FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH + PARKWAY DRIVE (co-headline) / Gojira / Lamb Of God

Enter Shikari

You've got Sabaton down for two days but that's the only problem I'm seeing with it personally.

9 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

if copping had the balls

GHOST / Sabaton / Trivium

Disturbed

____

BRING ME THE HORIZON / Architects / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes

Slash

___

FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH + PARKWAY DRIVE (co-headline) / Gojira / Lamb Of God

Enter Shikari

Thing is, he doesn’t even need to have the balls to have three/four new headliners all at once - just one every couple of years along with two of the old dinosaur acts. 

The fact is that metal bands these days just aren’t gonna reach the same levels as the likes of Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold from the 00’s (and the rest from the 90’s/80’s) because metal just isn’t making the same waves in the mainstream as it once was, but for a strictly metal festival to not even try and step in and create headliners of its own is so dumb. I know metal fans are notoriously closed minded when it comes to this stuff and a lot would be happy to just have the same seven acts in rotation, but just having one of those acts you mention step up every couple of years would sort out both a headliner drought in the long run and the problem of unoriginality in the short term. Them not getting BMTH to do it after That’s the Spirit will always be a huge fuck up on their part.