Download 2023

15 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

can't see them doing festival circuit without playing rock am ring and download

They’re literally in Europe next June, doing the festival circuit and not playing either of those festivals.

Their European tour starts literally 3 days after Download finishes (and Nova Rock and Sweden Rock) so it’s not like they’re in Europe at the end of summer and it wouldn’t have worked with their schedule.

I do think they have a decent chance of coming back in 2023 but the logic of “they’re playing European festivals in June 2022 so therefore they’re nailed on to play other European festivals in June 2023” doesn’t stack up to me.

18 hours ago, Andre91 said:

SOAD ain’t playing under anybody at Download, ever. They’re as big a ticket shifter as pretty much anyone they could book. They always shift tonnes of day tickets whenever they play. 

It’s not too early for Slipknot and with the new album in tow, I agree that they will likely be there. 

They probably aren't. But their crowd in 2011 has masses of space. 

I agree too but there still will have only been a two year actual festival gap. But realistically should they play then yes SOAD and Slipknot for me are set. I'm almost sure that Andy won't choose MCR over Metallica or RATM. He's not turning down Rage.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Sabaton are doing an arena tour. Should be a decent push up the lineup for them next time.

They should be subbing Download the next time they play. They're not my kinda thing at all but fair play to them for getting to play arenas in this country making the music that they do; power metal hasn't particularly flown in this country historically. 

Their stage show is bloody impressive and would be perfect in such a high slot. 

On 7/1/2021 at 7:17 PM, gabrielomachado said:

Gojira will play a arena tour next year. They are definitely rising for headliner level in a few years

Pre sale link for Gojira for those who want to go...

http://click.info.livenation.co.uk/?qs=c37f7b9ec8ac3e0a1edae14d19af72d5ef1738bf2c7ababe1c614b4f2bb77a047949218ec19010347ce7736b5608a45d5b81350ffc420a64dc5a0b68d009cabc

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

if Gojira released a bunch of crap albuns...

No one is saying they will. But it still was said. They will sub for sure but ADTR have toured much bigger and they didn't get headline.

Anyway, it's all about the We Are Scientists tour just announced 😜🤩

I don’t see Gojira headlining any time soon/at all tbh. Like almost all other metal bands on the rise, they’ll reach second stage headliner and/or sub and then that’ll be that because of the sheer refusal to bump anybody who isn’t a certified arena sellout act to the top. The only hope these acts have of making that climb seems to be that all/a lot of the current headliners stop being bands/stop touring and leaving them no choice but to finally bump acts up, so still a good 10+ years for even the older ones. 

On 7/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, FloorFiller said:

I don’t see Gojira headlining any time soon/at all tbh. Like almost all other metal bands on the rise, they’ll reach second stage headliner and/or sub and then that’ll be that because of the sheer refusal to bump anybody who isn’t a certified arena sellout act to the top. The only hope these acts have of making that climb seems to be that all/a lot of the current headliners stop being bands/stop touring and leaving them no choice but to finally bump acts up, so still a good 10+ years for even the older ones. 

I wouldn't count out threat to Download of a new metal fest. Sonisphere might not have made it but AEG are surely looking at ways to compete with livenation. So Download may be forced into adapting.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, Spiral_Low said:

I wouldn't count out threat to Download of a new metal fest. Sonisphere might not have made it but AEG are surely looking at ways to compete with livenation. So Download may be forced into adapting.

If AEG are looking to put on something to rival Download then next year is the time to do it. Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Five Finger Death Punch, NIN, Limp Bizkit just to name a few are all around and not doing Download/any uk fests.

The problem is, as Sonisphere showed, it's not sustainable to have two large heavy/metal festivals in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The problem is, as Sonisphere showed, it's not sustainable to have two large heavy/metal festivals in the UK. 

Yep, even if the second festival actually made some of the headliner gambles that Download won’t, branched out a little bit, and even snatched up some headliners that have evaded Download (Foos, Pearl Jam etc) rock acts of that size are still few and far between and eventually it’ll just run in to the exact same problems of repetitive lineups, only Download will have fest #2’s bumped up headliners in lower positions and so be better value for money and come out on top again.

Edited by FloorFiller

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If AEG are looking to put on something to rival Download then next year is the time to do it. Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Five Finger Death Punch, NIN, Limp Bizkit just to name a few are all around and not doing Download/any uk fests.

Limp Bizkit are around next year? if so, they might be the sub for KISS 

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

Limp Bizkit are around next year? if so, they might be the sub for KISS 

They aren't big enough to. 3rd down or zippo headline at max. On their own they are an academy band.

Personally I think another festival could have a go. Take the rock bands that Reading don't book and the acts Download won't bump up and charge reasonably for it.

Slipknot will do Knotfest but say BMTH and NIN for a two day to start with. Try for Metallica if they can but probably out of budget first in. 

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They aren't big enough to. 3rd down or zippo headline at max. On their own they are an academy band.

Personally I think another festival could have a go. Take the rock bands that Reading don't book and the acts Download won't bump up and charge reasonably for it.

Slipknot will do Knotfest but say BMTH and NIN for a two day to start with. Try for Metallica if they can but probably out of budget first in. 

NIN are Hellfest exclusive but yes i would love to see a festival with BMTH, A7X and Metallica headlining with bands like Faith No More, FFDP and Judas Priest on the undercard 

about Limp Bizkit, they aren't big in their own shows but i think they could be a nice sub because they draw huge crowds at festivals and they are becoming a nostalgia act at this point

Honest question, when did it become okay to like Limp Bizkit? I never really cared for them at their peak or their comeback besides the odd song which I thought was dumb but fun, however the last few years people have started actually liking them without the irony. Me and some mates saw them at the co-headline Wembley show with KoRn and I was the only one in the group who viewed it as a KoRn show with Limp Bizkit supporting with the others very eager to see Limp Bizkit.