Download 2023

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

'Alternative' rather than 'indie' might be a better term, there's no denying a day headlined by Blink with Feeder & Garbage underneath would have been an alternative to the norm. Megadeth & Wednesday 13 both played main stage that day & I don't think anyone would class them as 'indie'.

It's a shame the idea didn't take off as it might have left the festival with a more diverse set of bands to pick from. 

I had half typed almost the same reply listing the same acts I wouldn’t have called to highlight that it wasn’t really an ‘indie’ day at all. It was definitely more ‘alt’. 

Blink 182 / Feeder / Garbage / Dinosaur Jr / Megadeth / Biffy Clyro / JJ72 / Wednesday 13 / Queenadreena

That would have been a decent day and I definitely agree that the idea should have been tried again for sure. 

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Do you think MCR might be in a bidding war with R&L?

I don’t think so personally. Whilst they would still go down well at R&L, I think they’d get a hero’s welcome at Download in comparison.

Copping said the other week that he had made an offer for them to headline DL recently so I’m guessing it was for 2021 and things got pushed back, including their stadium shows. 

I know it’s completely different but they were/are due to headline DL Australia too so I think they’re more likely for Download 2023 than R&L. 

20 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

'Alternative' rather than 'indie' might be a better term, there's no denying a day headlined by Blink with Feeder & Garbage underneath would have been an alternative to the norm. Megadeth & Wednesday 13 both played main stage that day & I don't think anyone would class them as 'indie'.

It's a shame the idea didn't take off as it might have left the festival with a more diverse set of bands to pick from. 

True but if they had put someone like Offspring, Rancid, Good Charlotte or some other punk band on the day it would have been better fitted with Blink headlining if it's being booked down.

59 minutes ago, dannymichaels said:

Thoughts?

8765869.png

No chance Misfits would headline. They’re not really much over here (which is why I had them as special guests to Metallica as a dream booking, not a serious one). 

That Friday would be brilliant and is something Download should be trying to book imo. 

Very un-DL lineup overall, it’s not repetitive enough. 

I wish Download 2023 would look like this: 

Main: My Chemical Romance / A Day To Remember / Don Broco / Alexisonfire

Second: Amon Amarth 

Main: Metallica / Misfits / Halestorm / Mudvayne

Second: Sabaton  

Main: Nine Inch Nails / Architects / Placebo / Gary Numan 

Second: Judas Priest 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

Is there talks of Misfits coming over then? 

Nah, nothing concrete at all, just wishlist stuff.

They're active again in 2022 but what's stopped them coming over here since the initial 2016 reunion has supposedly been the exorbitant fees they charge per show (I heard something a while ago that they were demanding seven figures per show on that run). Couple that with the fact that the Misfits have never really meant anything over here compared to their huge legacy in the US, nobody is willing to pay through the nose for them.

However, with Danzig and Only both being in their early 60s now, this could very well be their final run and they might drop the initial reunion fees. Here's hoping, anyway! 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I wish Download 2023 would look like this: 

Main: My Chemical Romance / A Day To Remember / Don Broco / Alexisonfire

Second: Amon Amarth 

Main: Metallica / Misfits / Halestorm / Mudvayne

Second: Sabaton  

Main: Nine Inch Nails / Architects / Placebo / Gary Numan 

Second: Judas Priest 

Take my money, all of it. 

I like Misfits but they are one of those bands that seem to sell more shirts than they do actual albums abit like Motorhead. I've actually got a mate who turned up at the pub in a Misfits shirt once, I didn't realise he was a fan so I started talking to him about them and he didn't even realise he was wearing a band shirt, bloody muppet! 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nah, nothing concrete at all, just wishlist stuff.

They're active again in 2022 but what's stopped them coming over here since the initial 2016 reunion has supposedly been the exorbitant fees they charge per show (I heard something a while ago that they were demanding seven figures per show on that run). Couple that with the fact that the Misfits have never really meant anything over here compared to their huge legacy in the US, nobody is willing to pay through the nose for them.

However, with Danzig and Only both being in their early 60s now, this could very well be their final run and they might drop the initial reunion fees. Here's hoping, anyway! 

Hopefully mate, I think if they were going to come over Download or Rebellion would be their only options, maybe a couple of nights in Brixton. 

If I could personally book the Download 2023 lineup: 

Parkway Drive / Trivium / Limp Bizkit / Killswitch Engage / Code Orange / Thy Art Is Murder / Venom Prison 

Sabaton / Devin Townsend 

The Story So Far 

Cult of Luna 

My Chemical Romance / Architects / Don Broco / Alexisonfire / While She Sleeps / Fever 333 / Andrew WK / Wargasm 

Amon Amarth / Arch Enemy 

The Interrupters

Mayhem

Metallica / Misfits (very special guests) / Mudvayne / Babymetal / Testament / Jinjer / Soulfly / Conjurer 

Placebo / The Mars Volta

Ghostemane

Cannibal Corpse  

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Slipknot & MCR will be two of them, I think. 

So you think Andy is having MCR over Rammstein or SOAD?

I don't think MCR will offer themselves to Download.

I'm thinking for Reading the same year. MCR, Eminem and Dua Lipa. That would be a big set of headliners.

41 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So you think Andy is having MCR over Rammstein or SOAD?

I don't think MCR will offer themselves to Download.

I'm thinking for Reading the same year. MCR, Eminem and Dua Lipa. That would be a big set of headliners.

Yeah, I do. He did an interview a few weeks back and mentioned that he had recently made an offer to MCR to headline Download but it didn’t work out (I’m assuming they chose the MK dates instead) but he said he is almost certain he will get them to headline again. If they’re doing festivals in 2023 following the stadium shows next summer, they’re Download bound, I reckon. 

I don’t think that Rammstein will be there in 2023, especially not with the current production they have. It’s not suited to festival stages; it’s enormous. 

Who knows what SOAD will be doing. I highly doubt they will have an album to tour come 2023. 

Slipknot, MCR and possibly Metallica is my shout. I think it’s time for Metallica again. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, I do. He did an interview a few weeks back and mentioned that he had recently made an offer to MCR to headline Download but it didn’t work out (I’m assuming they chose the MK dates instead) but he said he is almost certain he will get them to headline again. If they’re doing festivals in 2023 following the stadium shows next summer, they’re Download bound, I reckon. 

I don’t think that Rammstein will be there in 2023, especially not with the current production they have. It’s not suited to festival stages; it’s enormous. 

Who knows what SOAD will be doing. I highly doubt they will have an album to tour come 2023. 

Slipknot, MCR and possibly Metallica is my shout. I think it’s time for Metallica again. 

You say that like festivals book SOAD because they have albums to tour lol.

I thought it was time for Metallica again about 5 years ago.

Wishlist: BMTH/MCR/A7X - Very unlikely to have three "youth-orientated" headliners at Download. Plus it's odd as to why BMTH haven't been since 2014.

Realistic Wishlist: RATM/MCR/Metallica -  Rage were wasted being announced for Reading whereas they'd be treated as royalty at Download. MCR have been thrown around a lot. Metallica are due to return.

Realistic: SOAD, plus two of Aerosmith/Rammstein/Ozzy/Slipknot - SOAD will be back to headline, even though they should gracefully step down to sub. The others bring in the standard crowd that makes money for Download.

2024 prediction while we're at it: A7X/Def Leppard/a band that didn't make the 2023 cut (Rammstein).