Download 2023

Despite Download 2022 is more than a year away, we all know that's gonna be pretty much the same lineup from 2020 and 2021 so let's move on from that 2 year discussion

my very early prediction:

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE / A Day To Remember / Halestorm

Sabaton

______

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE / Architects / Run The Jewels

Behemoth

_____

METALLICA / Ghost / Trivium

Machine Gun Kelly

If I had to guess at the headliners right now then MCR, System of a Down & Rammstein.

I'm in two minds about Motley Crue, I think they'll be there & I wouldn't put it past Andy to bump them up to headline & justify it with 'reunion hype' and 'success of the Dirt film' & then act all smug like he's created a 'new' festival headliner. However, given so many acts will potentially be touring lets hope that doesn't happen. 

Early guess at headliners is that its 3 from: 

RATM, SOAD, Rammstein, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam

Most likely RATM, Rammstein, SOAD

Other bands I guess might play:

Machine Head (sub-headliner - yes I know they stopped doing fests but since then Robb said they lost a tonne of money on US tour so I can see them doing a festival summer to make it back), Halestorm (sub-headliner or 3rd on Main to build on previous 2nd stage headline), Tesseract (will have new album, probably time to try for mid second stage), Twelve Foot Ninja, Jinjer, Alien Weaponery (those 3 all grown since 2019 especially last 2), Karnivool, Alice In Chains

On 5/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, Spiral_Low said:

Early guess at headliners is that its 3 from: 

RATM, SOAD, Rammstein, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam

Most likely RATM, Rammstein, SOAD

Other bands I guess might play:

Machine Head (sub-headliner - yes I know they stopped doing fests but since then Robb said they lost a tonne of money on US tour so I can see them doing a festival summer to make it back), Halestorm (sub-headliner or 3rd on Main to build on previous 2nd stage headline), Tesseract (will have new album, probably time to try for mid second stage), Twelve Foot Ninja, Jinjer, Alien Weaponery (those 3 all grown since 2019 especially last 2), Karnivool, Alice In Chains

I think your most likely is probably spot on. I'd like to see System just do an arena tour though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You can have placebo but they wouldn't sub now 

I think they could, loads of old school fans and plenty of 'hits' that a big chunk of Download crowd would know. 

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

NIN, Pixies, Placebo would be a great (& refreshing by Download's standards) top 3. 

Yes would love that. 

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

NIN, Pixies, Placebo would be a great (& refreshing by Download's standards) top 3. 

Won’t ever happen because of how set in its ways Download is, but this is exactly the kind of stuff they should be booking to get out of their current rut. Early/mid 00’s Reading/Leeds type acts that aren’t quite ‘metal’ but still appeal to that crowd. They had the right idea in ‘05 with the Feeder headlined ‘indie’ day but then decided to scrap it entirely afterwards. Would also mean they could get acts like Royal Blood, QOTSA etc to headline who currently sit in the ‘not metal enough’ bracket.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Won’t ever happen because of how set in its ways Download is, but this is exactly the kind of stuff they should be booking to get out of their current rut. Early/mid 00’s Reading/Leeds type acts that aren’t quite ‘metal’ but still appeal to that crowd. They had the right idea in ‘05 with the Feeder headlined ‘indie’ day but then decided to scrap it entirely afterwards. Would also mean they could get acts like Royal Blood, QOTSA etc to headline who currently sit in the ‘not metal enough’ bracket.

How do you define right idea though? I was there in '05 and saw Feeder. Could walk down to the front it was a sparse crowd.

24 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

How do you define right idea though? I was there in '05 and saw Feeder. Could walk down to the front it was a sparse crowd.

Good idea, poor execution. Feeder were never a festival headliner and Download putting them in that slot was destined to fail.

If they would have gone all out for someone like Muse or Foo Fighters instead with a QOTSA or Placebo as a sub it probably would have been much more successful.

As it was it’s just another piece of evidence Andy Copping can point to and say “see the fans don’t want anything different”

39 minutes ago, King101 said:

Good idea, poor execution. Feeder were never a festival headliner and Download putting them in that slot was destined to fail.

If they would have gone all out for someone like Muse or Foo Fighters instead with a QOTSA or Placebo as a sub it probably would have been much more successful.

As it was it’s just another piece of evidence Andy Copping can point to and say “see the fans don’t want anything different”

Someone did pull out meaning Feeder headlined didn't they? I wanna say Blink 182

40 minutes ago, King101 said:

I agree Feeder shouldn't have headlined. Should have subbed (in '05 stillbig enough to do that). But Muse have headlined since then and Copping has repeatedly tried to get the Foo Fighters.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

4 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Someone did pull out meaning Feeder headlined didn't they? I wanna say Blink 182

This is correct.

I heard it was Blink too as they had broke up before being announced but I have never seen Copping, Blink or anyone like that mention it though.

Something that bugs me about this though if its an indie day then why would Blink be the headliner rather than an indie band. Now Stereophonics were big at the time and getting some coverage from the likes of Kerrang, it was also when they were having trouble with their drummer so even though I reckon it probably was Blink I wouldn't rule out someone else possibly Stereophonics.

This would be a decent ol' time. Misfits ain't happening but special guests to Metallica is the dream: 

Avenged Sevenfold / Judas Priest / Halestorm  

Sabaton 

My Chemical Romance / A Day To Remember / Bullet For My Valentine 

Lamb of God 

Metallica / Misfits (very special guests) / Trivium 

Don Broco 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, jump said:

I heard it was Blink too as they had broke up before being announced but I have never seen Copping, Blink or anyone like that mention it though.

Something that bugs me about this though if its an indie day then why would Blink be the headliner rather than an indie band. Now Stereophonics were big at the time and getting some coverage from the likes of Kerrang, it was also when they were having trouble with their drummer so even though I reckon it probably was Blink I wouldn't rule out someone else possibly Stereophonics.

'Alternative' rather than 'indie' might be a better term, there's no denying a day headlined by Blink with Feeder & Garbage underneath would have been an alternative to the norm. Megadeth & Wednesday 13 both played main stage that day & I don't think anyone would class them as 'indie'.

It's a shame the idea didn't take off as it might have left the festival with a more diverse set of bands to pick from.