While She Sleeps and Band Subscriptions

maelzoid

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The cheapest option being a fiver seems a bit high but spend about £50 on Patreon every month across 20 or so different creators - it's a really good way to get them a regular income for doing what they do. 

It's no different to Patreon really is it, they are just administrating it themselves. I don't think there's any artist that could offer me enough of an inducement to interest me in anything like this, but if people are willing to spend, let them. 

Having said that - if there was a Glastonbury version that got you priority on T-Day I'd be ALL IN BABY. 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

It's no different to Patreon really is it, they are just administrating it themselves. I don't think there's any artist that could offer me enough of an inducement to interest me in anything like this, but if people are willing to spend, let them. 

Having said that - if there was a Glastonbury version that got you priority on T-Day I'd be ALL IN BABY. 

I only back one musician on there, Ben Folds, and that's $5 a month - for which you get multiple live streams every week including gigs and piano lessons. And got randomly sent a vinyl at some point too. It's worth it for me, but then I tend to have a smaller number of bands I'm really into rather than listening to loads of different ones. 

A fiver a month seems reasonable if the benefits are good. I'd expect at least some exclusive music, and a guarantee of being able to purchase tickets.

But £60 a month is mental. Especially for a band on the academy circuit, where concerts are still sub £30. For me, this crosses the line into exploitation.

For comparison, Pearl Jam Tenclub is $20 - $40, U2's club is various tiers up to $85 (which gets you exclusive CDs and DVDs) and I think both offer early ticket access. Those prices are ANNUALLY of course.

If you love the band and can afford it... access to soundchecks is cool if you're following them around at multiple venues per tour, plus you can move between levels so realistically if you're looking for value for money you can do that for a month during the tour, get the T-shirt and the freebies then drop to the £20 a month level.

Full list of benefits is on the Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whileshesleeps