Glastonbury 2021 - What might have been?

Hugh Jass

Was wondering to myself this evening had there not been a global pandemic and the 2020 fest had gone ahead as planned, what would we be getting hyped for this year?

The 1975 finally getting their shot? Reg, on the final victory lap of his world tour, delivering a set for the ages? It’s not hard to imagine Arctic Monkeys getting another go with a new album that they hope will make everyone forget TBHC...

There would obviously be a fair few big names who would probably have records out by now having been able to get into the studio as planned.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Was 2017 that hot apart from the Wednesday? 2019 was definitely too hot though!

2017’s Wednesday was obscenely hot. Mrs J was pregnant at the time and we made the call that day not to come until the Thursday.

Rest of the weekend was fine.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Turned up to camp to find at least one person laid low with heatstroke on the Wednesday afternoon.

Although I found 2019 harder work.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

That's fair, it was really just the Wednesday in '17. But what a scorcher.

2019 was borderline insufferable until the Sunday. First time I didn't drink at any point until the sun went down. Missed several sets due to lack of shade. Saw a lot of cabaret!

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was wondering to myself this evening had there not been a global pandemic and the 2020 fest had gone ahead as planned, what would we be getting hyped for this year?

The 1975 finally getting their shot? Reg, on the final victory lap of his world tour, delivering a set for the ages? It’s not hard to imagine Arctic Monkeys getting another go with a new album that they hope will make everyone forget TBHC...

There would obviously be a fair few big names who would probably have records out by now having been able to get into the studio as planned.

Agree about Arctic Monkeys, I imagine they'd have tried for Reg or the Mac. Third place is harder to judge. Obviously we're talking about a hypothetical world without the pandemic, but haven't the 1975 stalled somewhat since 'Brief Enquiry'? I'm sure they're still in the pool of potential headliners but I'm not sure they're as close to the top of the wishlist as they would've been in 2019.

I'd also imagine they'd try to have one female headliner again, maybe Dua Lipa off the back of a successful Other headliner spot?

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

Would Dua have leapt from Other to Pyramid in 12 months on the same album? I always thought her doing the Other in 20 would be laying the groundwork for a headline slot on album #3 two or three years later.

Agree that the 1975's stock seems to have fallen slightly but someone did say on here that they were originally lined up for 21, it wouldn't have been the most unreasonable shout as most would (some begrudgingly) agree that they were worthy of a shot. For them though a couple of years of no festivals will have done terminal damage to their headline credentials.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dua was my thinking for a possible headline slot. Future Nostalgia would have toured last year, hype would have been up.

Reckon The Weeknd could have been in the mix as well.

The Weeknd’s an interesting one, I think our man Ken said he was originally lined up for Rock Werchter 2021 so I reckon Glastonbury could have went for him too. 

I’m sure Emily said something about only one of the 2021 headliners having played before, so I’d guess The Weeknd, Arctic Monkeys and them trying for Fleetwood Mac but ending up with Muse.

I reckon Fatboy Slim might have played. Mik Artistik might have popped up too. According to Michael, it would have been the best one ever. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I reckon Fatboy Slim might have played. Mik Artistik might have popped up too. According to Michael, it would have been the best one ever. 

Controversial opinions thread is over there

3 hours ago, duke88 said:

Yeh that's how I remember it......2017 Wednesday was too hot to do anything but from the Thursday onwards was warm but nothing silly.  I can recall sleeping from 2am-10am on the Friday night/Saturday morning! (went in too hard on the Thursday night and needed it!)

2019 I was on site from the Tuesday onwards, it rained that day and then just steadily got hotter and hotter until the Saturday when I couldn't bear to do anything but lie in shade (which was frustrating as it was my day off)  the Sunday was fine as it dropped from about 30 degrees to around 20 degrees.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

2017’s Wednesday was obscenely hot. Mrs J was pregnant at the time and we made the call that day not to come until the Thursday.

Rest of the weekend was fine.

2017 was pretty perfect as the temperatures went down by about 10 degrees on Friday and stayed pleasant but not roasting for the whole weekend. 

Thinking lower down the card, I reckon there'd have been a decent quantity of Beabadoobee type 90s/00s guitar indie sounding bands knocking around JPT and Williams Green.  Definitely a bit of a renaissance sound going on there.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thinking lower down the card, I reckon there'd have been a decent quantity of Beabadoobee type 90s/00s guitar indie sounding bands knocking around JPT and Williams Green.  Definitely a bit of a renaissance sound going on there.

In fact the more I think about what's ben coming out over the last 12 months I reckon this is one of those years where I'd clashtatstic during the day and a bit less fussed in the evenings

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

I reckon Florence, Reg and Arctics were our lot for 2021, in that Fri-Sat-Sun order.

Yeah, I reckon that's as likely as anything.

I've been saying since before there even was a pandemic that I'd heard (and believed) that Flo was pencilled in, the Arctics are about due, and Elton makes too much sense not to have happened eventually.