ALT LDN

pete76

I don't really get who this is supposed to be for but there's some great acts on there. If it wasn't on the Monday of Leeds then I would have been well up for going down to London for it, mostly to see MGK > Die Antwoord > Architects. Would love to see Princess Nokia too.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I don't really get who this is supposed to be for

Probably no one. I think the economies of scale of having two other events that weekend meant Festival Republic/Event Horizon might as well just have another day and put some acts on there to flog tickets in this high-demand summer.

On 4/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, ace56blaa said:

Pretty disgusted that Die Antwoord is still being booked on festival lineups after grooming, hate crime allegations and sexual assaults. With some pretty damning evidence out there

Bob Vylan has posted a video on twitter saying he's asked for them to be removed and Sam from Architects has said in the replies that's he backing him.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, Andre91 said:

I don't really get who this is supposed to be for but there's some great acts on there. If it wasn't on the Monday of Leeds then I would have been well up for going down to London for it, mostly to see MGK > Die Antwoord > Architects. Would love to see Princess Nokia too.

I wouldn't be posting about wanting to see Die Antwoord too loud on here. They don't have the best rep now.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I can listen to their music just fine and would absolutely go and see them at a festival. 

You into Gary Glitter and watching reruns of Jimmy Savile hosting TOTP? Still into Lost Prophets? 

Don't mind a bit of racism and homophobic behaviour? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

You into Gary Glitter and watching reruns of Jimmy Savile hosting TOTP? Still into Lost Prophets? 

Don't mind a bit of racism and homophobic behaviour? 

Choosing not to listen to an artist because of events surrounding them is absolutely fine. Choosing to still listen to their music is also absolutely fine. Don’t be an arse about it. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Choosing not to listen to an artist because of events surrounding them is absolutely. Choosing to still listen to their music is also absolutely fine. Don’t be an arse about it. 

You can do whatever you want. You are however enabling these abusers, racists and homophobes by supporting them. So if that's what you feel comfortable with crack on. 

24 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

You can do whatever you want. You are however enabling these abusers, racists and homophobes by supporting them. So if that's what you feel comfortable with crack on. 

I said I would go and see them at a festival, not that I would pay to see them at their own show. I certainly wouldn’t purchase any of their music physically. I know that streaming obviously is a financial contribution but it is minimal compared to tickets, merch and physical copies of their work.

It’s the same for other artists I like, Brand New for example. I’ve already got my physical copies, I won’t buy any more. I chucked my t-shirt away when the stuff about him came out. 

If their ideology doesn’t pervade their music, I’m usually alright listening to them. I’m not listening to Screwdriver or some NSBM band. I still listen to Down regularly despite thinking Phil is a piece of shit for his racist beliefs. Again, I’m not buying anything other than streaming. I’ve got my vinyls already. 

I think your initial response was purposely snarcy and you could have just said what you have said above initially. Separating the art from the artist is a contentious topic but both sides of the argument are valid. 

Edited by Andre91

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I said I would go and see them at a festival, not that I would pay to see them at their own show. I certainly wouldn’t purchase any of their music physically. I know that streaming obviously is a financial contribution but it is minimal compared to tickets, merch and physical copies of their work.

It’s the same for other artists I like, Brand New for example. I’ve already got my physical copies, I won’t buy any more. I chucked my t-shirt away when the stuff about him came out. 

If their ideology doesn’t pervade their music, I’m usually alright listening to them. I’m not listening to Screwdriver or some NSBM band. I still listen to Down and Pantera regularly despite thinking Phil is a piece of shit for his racist beliefs. Again, I’m not buying anything other than streaming. I’ve got my vinyls already. 

I think your initial response was purposely snarcy and you could have just said what you have above initially. Separating the art from the artist is a contentious topic but both sides of the argument are valid. 

I don't beat around the bush. I'm straight in for the kill, or snarky as you call it! 😆 

I get people liking music and maybe being naive to someones personal life, but its well documented with these two arseholes. Its shameful for the likes of Live Nation to be booking them when they already get flak for their pale and male line ups. 

Edited by JBarbour

21 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Nowadays it seems like half of the industry have done some shit in their past. If I used your logic, I wouldn't be able to enjoy music at all these days.

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Nowadays it seems like half of the industry have done some shit in their past. If I used your logic, I wouldn't be able to enjoy music at all these days.

Most the industry trafficking woman and abusing them because they look like their daughter? Grooming teenage boys? Being homophobic to other artists? Doing black face in music videos?

I don't see a whole lot of that going on, especially from one group, do you?

Edited by JBarbour

2 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Most the industry trafficking woman and abusing them because they look like their daughter? Grooming teenage boys? Being homophobic to other artists? Doing black face in music videos?

I don't see a whole lot of that going on, especially from one group, do you?

Well, you're way too specific and yes, that's what DA have done and it should destroy their careers. And yes, it seems like half of the industry did some shit - abuse, rape or other crimes like drug dealing, carrying weapons, robbery... Some of them only got accused of it, for some there is evidence. Some of them are forgotten, some of them got away with it and are praised even today by fans and mainstream media. And these are often role models for teenagers.

I can make a list for you if you want...

4 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Well, you're way too specific and yes, that's what DA have done and it should destroy their careers. And yes, it seems like half of the industry did some shit - abuse, rape or other crimes like drug dealing, carrying weapons, robbery... Some of them only got accused of it, for some there is evidence. Some of them are forgotten, some of them got away with it and are praised even today by fans and mainstream media. And these are often role models for teenagers.

I can make a list for you if you want...

I don't get your point. You are going to defend abusers by listing other abusers? None of these people should be on festival line ups or being booked for gigs. 

1 hour ago, JBarbour said:

I don't get your point. You are going to defend abusers by listing other abusers? None of these people should be on festival line ups or being booked for gigs. 

I'm not defending them. My point is that lots of them are still being booked for gigs and festivals or getting at the top of the charts but you only trash talk about Die Antwoord. Also if all these things about them are true, shouldn't they be like in prison or something? These are quite serious offences...

20 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I'm not defending them. My point is that lots of them are still being booked for gigs and festivals or getting at the top of the charts but you only trash talk about Die Antwoord. Also if all these things about them are true, shouldn't they be like in prison or something? These are quite serious offences...

I don't know if you noticed but this thread is about a festival DA have been booked for and artists are coming out asking the organisers to reconsider their booking. Do I have to list every act that ever done anything wrong every time I mention them? 

Maybe do a quick google search?

Trash talking? How else should I speak about the racist, homophobic, abusers? You sound like a closet fanboy. 

Edited by JBarbour
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I don't know if you noticed but this thread is about a festival DA have been booked for and artists are coming out asking the organisers to reconsider their booking. Do I have to list every act that ever done anything wrong every time I mention them? 

Maybe do a quick google search?

Trash talking? How else should I speak about the racist, homophobic, abusers? You sound like a closet fanboy. 

I used to be a fan (like 5-6 years ago), now I don't care really.

But why don't you (and other artists) mention Playboi Carti then? He's on the lineup as well. He was arrested for domestic abuse, assaulted a driver in Scotland and last year arrested for carrying drugs and weapons. He's OK?

Edited by Newjem

3 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I used to be a fan (like 5-6 years ago), now I don't care really.

But why don't you (and other artists) mention Playboi Carti then? He's on the lineup as well. He was arrested for domestic abuse, assaulted a driver in Scotland and last year arrested for carrying drugs and weapons. He's OK?

He's another arsehole then! Maybe this whole shitty event should be cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Choosing not to listen to an artist because of events surrounding them is absolutely fine. Choosing to still listen to their music is also absolutely fine. Don’t be an arse about it. 

Now I'm not going to down vote you on it etc or for the following comments you made and as you know I'm not that arsed by them.

But any money towards them is supporting and backing that up with it's not as much is pathetic!

The down voting you've given me recently for just giving a different view on events actually going ahead which I'm allowed to and isn't controversial, think about that next time that you disagree with what I've said because you have a different opinion.

There is being desperate for music being back and then there is supporting that kind of filth.

• Downvote 1