Coldplay

morph100

It's half decent...

I think the hook is quite catchy, but like a lot of modern pop, it seems really under-written.There's just that one phrase that gets repeated, but then doesn't go anywhere - there's no harmonic resolution, no counter-melody, no tension/release. The recent Chvrches single was exactly the same. Pop for short attention-spans. 

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It's half decent...

I think the hook is quite catchy, but like a lot of modern pop, it seems really under-written.There's just that one phrase that gets repeated, but then doesn't go anywhere - there's no harmonic resolution, no counter-melody, no tension/release. The recent Chvrches single was exactly the same. Pop for short attention-spans. 

This. Put perfectly. 

It does seem to be completely acceptable for proper bands (i.e not typical boy band member gone solo) to hire songwriting teams now (Coldplay/ U2). These same people write for radio 1 fodder. I'm not having it. Imagine bands in the 90s doing this (pearl jam/ nirvana)? It's nearly always a sign of things going wrong/ getting desperate. 

17 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

It does seem to be completely acceptable for proper bands (i.e not typical boy band member gone solo) to hire songwriting teams now (Coldplay/ U2). These same people write for radio 1 fodder. I'm not having it. Imagine bands in the 90s doing this (pearl jam/ nirvana)? It's nearly always a sign of things going wrong/ getting desperate. 

On the other hand it might have given Pearl Jam one good song?

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Was is particularly odd is that they have a massive pop production/ songwriting team behind it ( Max Martin Federico Vindver Denise Carite) and it still doesn't go anywhere. 

Cause Coldplay isnt going to go into new territory to make a song. Theyre fine with doing the same old thing again. Except maybe looking at their first 2 albums isnt one of those things. Theyve been getting away with it for 10 years now and been fortunate they end up with 2 decent songs on each album which is enough for the fans to chew up and then hide it all with the live show.

Edited by Suprefan

I’d say it’s better than anything off A Head Full Of Dreams but we feel a long way from Parachutes, A Rush of Blood or Viva La Vida in terms of quality. 

Would have loved them to explore more of their Arabesque side

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Once you've heard the chorus once, you might as well stop listening. I like the chorus, as it happens. But that's all it is.

Like others have said, no complexity whatsoever.

Agree with that - really like the chorus but the track as a whole is really disappointing.

21 hours ago, lighthouse said:

That track is embarrassing. 

Have you watched the video?   Now that’s really embarrassing!  The outfits, the dancing etc.   You would think at least one of them would stick their hand up and question the direction.  Turning more into a boyband every day

3 hours ago, JB15 said:

I’d say it’s better than anything off A Head Full Of Dreams but we feel a long way from Parachutes, A Rush of Blood or Viva La Vida in terms of quality. 

Would have loved them to explore more of their Arabesque side

Yeah I loved the Arabesque track and was disappointed when the album came out and none of the others songs had that sound.

• Upvote 1