Album of the Month Tournament - April 2021

blutarsky

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

My votes:

1 - Godspeed You! Black Emperor G_d's Pee
Atmospheric, foreboding, everything you'd expect. 

2 - Glasvegas Godspeed
Classic Scottish indie that we know and love. 

3 - The Offspring Let the bad times roll
By the numbers, cliche pop punk from a band that's really way too old to still be doing it, but I like it anyway. They sound the same as they did in the 1990s and that's a good thing. 

11 and a half hours left to vote... I'll be compiling results after that, but due to how busy I am at work (deciding GCSE grades and kids futures) those results may not be published until mid-week next week. 

Since when did the future of our country’s next generation become more important than the efests album of the month?

Was not expecting to see so much love of an album by The Coral in 2021 but there we go - I'll try and give it a doing over the next week or so and see what the fuss is about (though judging from the outrageously high amount of people including that Royal Blood album I reckon most of you are probably just delusional)

1. Low Island - If You Can Have It All Again

2. Rachel Chinouriri - Four In Winter (know this is just a long EP but damn it's good)

3. Porter Robinson - Nurture

Not the best month for me admittedly, but May is looking pretty stacked so fingers crossed

My favorite new album was Pet Shop Boys - Live In Rio but as this is from 1995 and I have had a bootleg of it for over 20 years I don’t think I should include it.  

my top three are 

1) Benny Sings - Music

2) The Coral - Coral Island

3) Myd - Born a Loser

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Someone has just introduced me to Second Life by Dawn Richard. Am I right in saying I have until midnight to change my mind?  Listening to it now. And enjoying it so far, so might change my mind. 

Yep, just quote your original post and put your new vote in if you’re changing. 

58 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Was not expecting to see so much love of an album by The Coral in 2021 but there we go - I'll try and give it a doing over the next week or so and see what the fuss is about (though judging from the outrageously high amount of people including that Royal Blood album I reckon most of you are probably just delusional)

1. Low Island - If You Can Have It All Again

2. Rachel Chinouriri - Four In Winter (know this is just a long EP but damn it's good)

3. Porter Robinson - Nurture

Not the best month for me admittedly, but May is looking pretty stacked so fingers crossed

Finally someone with some sense 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if I have 3 from this month, but I'm gonna have to check out that Coral album given how frequently it's popping up!

Teenage Fanclub are one of my favourite bands (think I've only seen REM more frequently) and I really wanted to like Endless Arcade, but it's not doing it it for me yet...will stick with it. Ditto Dinosaur Jr. However, I can vote for 2 this month that I am thoroughly enjoying...

1. Guided by Voices - Earth Man Blues (absolutely loving this, best release from them in 25 years, though many of the songs were hanging around for a long time...definitely scratched the nostalgia itch I'd hoped Endless Arcade would!)

2. Royal Blood - Typhoons (Sorry, not very original...thanks to @dentalplan for pointing me back in their direction, I'd ignored them since their first as I too figured what more can you do with a drum kit and a bass, but I also love this one)... 

Not heard anyone mention it yet but I really like the new Lonelady There is no logic single. Looking forward to hearing more from her. 

Also liking some of the April releases more now that I have had a few more listens especially Manchester Orchestra and Girl in Red so thanks to those who recommended those. 

The results are in and we saw plenty of variety in this month’s votes.

36 users voted for 32 artists, with 18 of them getting a first preference vote.

Shockingly Teenage Fanclub didn't get close to winning and there's massive under-representation for BAME influenced music. 

Here’s the top five in reverse order, with the full results below.

4= Godspeed You! Black EmperorGod’s_Pee AT STATE’S END – 12 points (Two 1st / Two 2nd / Two 3rd)

An even spread of votes for the Canadians’ 7th album, coming in their 25th year together. Massively atmospheric and emotive – which is why I voted for it (it should have been higher you dickheads). As Pitchfork says, it “sounds incredible, capturing the grandeur, aggression, and power of their symphonic punk with perfect clarity. And it feels incredible, too, as it endures passages of oppressive darkness to step at least toward a new dawn.” I agree. And couldn’t be bothered to try and write an articulate argument for it, so that’ll do.

4= Manchester OrchestraThe Million Masks Of God – 12 points (Three 1st / Zero 2nd / Three 3rd)

The same number of voters as GY!BE for a record which is quite different yet quite similar. It felt similar to me, despite the fact it included acoustic tracks juxtaposed with pretty heavy, beefy guitar tracks. A criticism if it has been that it’s very alike previous MO records, which is perhaps a reason it missed out on the top three. I thought it was ok, but I wouldn’t be rushing to catch them.

3. The CoralCoral Island – 15 points (Zero 1st / Five 2nd / Five 3rd)

The Scousers bag a top three spot despite being nobody’s favourite album. I haven’t listened to it. Nothing else to say as a result.

2. Dry CleaningNew Long Leg – 28 points (Five 1st / Six 2nd / One 3rd)

Almost double the points of third place which is pretty impressive for a debut – although I personally reckon debut albums are often a band’s best because they’re still fresh and have something to say. I personally really rated the vocals by Florence Shaw, who joins Sophie Trudeau as the second woman out of 19 musicians on this list so far, you bunch of misogynists.

1. Royal BloodTyphoons – 31 points (Eight 1st / Two 2nd / Three 3rd)

Along with Dry Cleaning, the runaway leaders. I went to school with the frontman of Spectres and wrote a lot for his skate ‘zine, and his sustained social media campaign against Royal Blood means I’m prejudiced against them and unable to give them a fair hearing. I did try, and thought Typhoons was ok at first, but quickly got bored (before anyone accuses me of hypocrisy, I sometimes find Spectres’ brand of chaotic shoegaze hard work, but I make allowances and find the art because of the personal connection). In summary, I didn’t think much of it but I’m not the ultimate arbiter of taste, so it wins.

image.png.279763cd1b67538110b5094b43be12b7.png

image.png.2d0724f47d133e62ac2e88411b097f3b.png

Edited by blutarsky
  • Upvote 16

On 4/3/2021 at 10:26 AM, dentalplan said:

Nice work @anditmakesmesmile

Just to recap the end of year pool so far, the first 9 of the 33* that make it to the ultimate vote will be:

Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
Bicep - Isles
Black Country, New Road - For the First Time
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage
Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club
For Those I Love - For Those I Love
Mogwai - As the Love Continues
Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
Shame - Drunk Tank Pink

*maybe 34. It depends on November/December which I will contemplate and adjudicate

All that means the following three albums are added to @Gnomicide's end of year list.

Royal Blood - Typhoons
Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
The Coral - Coral Island

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Great work.

This competition is definitely for artists like Royal Blood, so we can look back at the end of the year and say “has anyone listened to that since May?”. They did up their game though so fair fucks to em.

Can you put Glasvegas on the list anyway?