Rick Leach RIP

pie_and_a_pint

I know lots of you will know Rick Leach - a regular Glastogoer and author of a number of books including Turn Left At The Womble. 

He had been unwell for a while, and sadly he has passed away. I’ll miss you, Rick. 

https://twitter.com/Getintothis/status/1383770518902382595?s=20

• Upvote 2

Oh no!  I'd been hoping to meet him at the festival one of these days, he was as close to a "Twitter friend" as anyone is, we'd exchanged many messages over the years about his memoirs and the festival. 

It's really rewarding to read all the books, as over the years, he increasingly "gets it".  From planting himself at Pyramid and Other in the first book, to some quite lovely prose in the last one about how much the festival means to him.

Very sad news.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The National aren't that bad.

Are the other books worth a go then? I spent the first one shouting at him (in my head) to a) not leave it until Thursday and b) stop buying coffee and move away from The Pyramid Stage.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Are the other books worth a go then? I spent the first one shouting at him (in my head) to a) not leave it until Thursday and b) stop buying coffee and move away from The Pyramid Stage.

They are, especially since they're not very long. Don't get me wrong, he never goes to Shangri-la all night, but he does get to see considerably more of the site, e.g. leaving the end of Flying Lotus at W Holts to catch Ryan Adams at The Park (spoiler 😲). And hanging out at The Tiny Tea Tent.

And the book where he works it is interesting, if still a bit frustrating, since it's still pretty early on.

Like most of us, I got to know Rick first through his books, which I reckon are brilliant and as close to actually being there, and getting the whole experience, as anything out there. I then got to know him pretty well on Twitter, we exchanged loads of tweets and many private messages, mostly about music, and he got me to listen to some great new stuff.  I found out he was ill early last year when we talked about getting into Glasto 20, and he was delighted that I’d managed to get a Festaff slot. He explained then that his outlook wasn’t great. I’ve kept in touch via DMs until recently and his wife Jackie sent me a msg to say that Rick was really poorly. 

The world is massively poorer for Rick’s passing, but enriched for him having spent 60 years with us. I met him at last outside the JP in 2019 after She Drew the Gun and instantly felt we’d known each other for years. 

RIP Rick ❤️😢

• Upvote 1

Ah I’m really upset about this!  I didn’t know he was ill.  Like many, I was a Twitter friend and had exchanged DMs and the sort happily over the years.  

One Christmas I sent him a little pic which I’ll post here as my tribute - RIP Rick and hope the coffee and cake is good up there! 

94A2392C-7116-486D-9A06-99EFD88CE190.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I bought and read his book 'Left Again at the Womble' about him volunteering through Shelter serving pints at Glastonbury 2011 as I was about to do the same for the 2019 festival.

Helped me prepare for what was about to come, although like others I found myself shouting at the book as Rick  seemed to mainly drink coffee and not explore some of the less popular areas (in that one at least)

RIP Rick.

Very sad news indeed. I loved his books, he really got Glastonbury in the way I think most of us do on here. There were many times I disagreed with his opinions on some of the acts (his dismissal of Patti Smith particularly irked me!)

I always looked forward to each book coming out during the fallow months between the end of one festival and the beginning of the next. Rick's passion for music and the festival were a joy to behold, his passing his very sad and I feel for his family very much.

Rick published his last book last year, Death and Music (It’s better to sing than to cry). It’s his self penned obituary, not an easy read, because it’s all about the brain tumour and subsequent treatment. The music chapters make it lovely all the same. 

He also wrote a fiction novel a couple of years ago that’s really thought provoking - You should look at the stars. 

32 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Details for Rick's funeral.

Thursday 29th April at 10am.
Due to current restrictions you can watch online via the link and username/password in the first image.

Thanks for that ❤️

• Upvote 1